JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A .22lr handgun has been on my mind since shooting the rifle stage of the Rimfire Challenge but missing out on the pistol portion. I've been looking at both the Browning Buckmark and Ruver MKIV. Whichever I get, I'd like a model with a rail and a threaded barrel. Anyone have any input?

I would say that you couldn't really go wrong with either pistol, both are very good. I think the Ruger has better after market support for upgrades than the Browning. I like the look of this one...

MK 4 Tactical.jpg

I just had to pick them up and play w/them for a bit to cross the Buckmark off the list. I like them, have shot them a bunch but they just feel cheaply made compared to the Ruger or Smith Victory. Having had/shot them all I would either do a MkIV or a Victory, I got the Smith but that was before the MkIV came out. I have a friend w/a MkIV and a MkIII, still like my Victory a little better but the Ruger is pretty nice too. Once I removed the mag disconnect the trigger is really sweet on the Smith and w/a red dot it's deadly on small critters.

A .22lr handgun has been on my mind since shooting the rifle stage of the Rimfire Challenge but missing out on the pistol portion. I've been looking at both the Browning Buckmark and Ruver MKIV. Whichever I get, I'd like a model with a rail and a threaded barrel. Anyone have any input?

Since you want threads I assume you want to put a can on it at some point? If so I LOVE, and I mean love, the 22/45 LITE models. These have both the rail and threads and are a dream to play with. The MKIV version is one of those "well it's about damn time" kind of inventions. The take down is a dream. I have favored the Ruger's since the beginning due to the after market. They have always been so damn popular that there has always been lots of extras for them. If you want the extra weight they make the same pistol in an all steel version that is of course heavier.

A Ruger with a good Trigger Job is likely to be the best answer. I'd also have the whole Pistol "tuned" if you can find someone to do that. A whole bunch depends on Trigger Control but the Ruger will do the job.

Ruger series are what I own. Great pistols. Plenty of aftermarket goodies for them.

One thing the Browning has going for it is the fact the barrel can be swapped easier as it is not the serialized part.

273FDA64-171A-4D11-A238-E9C8367B3388.jpeg

Last Edited:
I like the ergonomics of the MK IV pistol better than the Buckmark and Smith. The firearm is well balanced and the grip is great, right out of the box.

Take down on the Ruger MK IV is so easy now compared to prior generations.

There are a LOT of aftermarket parts available for the Rugers. The 22/45 comes, as stated, with a threaded barrel and a top rail.

"Tuning" the MK IV is also easily done and there is a lot of support for that out in the aftermarket. I talked with Dino at Majestic Arms a couple of weeks ago and he's got some really nice upgrades available for the Ruger MK series pistols.

I vote for the Ruger. Was that obvious? :D

Once the competition bug strikes you can waste a great deal of money trying to pick a gun to help you win. Most guys try to start low and build into what they want but in my opinion it' best to look hard at what the winners shoot and go from there...if you want to win. If its not about winning then it doesn't matter what you take to the match.

I have a couple 22/45 MKIV's (1 target model and 1 lite model). I also have the S&W Victory.
You sir are welcome anytime to come out to TCGC as my guest and try any or all of them out!

You really should try to make it out to a Speed Steel match. It's not limited to just .22's. My preferred division is PCC-O. Lots of fun with my AR 9mm....

For me it is all about the grip angle. I did consider a 22/45 for that reason.

In the end it came down to the fact that I already owned more Rugers than anything else and being a huge HiPower fan I just wanted to increase my Browning number.

I have owned 5 different Mark 1s and Mark 2s. I just picked up this Mark 3.
Put a Volquartsen trigger in it and Fastfire 3 dot. I have a lot of experience with
the mark series find assembly not a problem. My Victory model is a little lighter than the Ruger
Has a Tandemkross trigger and comp. Fastfire 2 dot. I have won several matches with the
Victory model. Between the two I would pick the Smith. Interesting how so many manufacures
make a 5.5 inch bull barrel target 22.:oops: Longer barrel will give you better accuracy with
the longer sight radius. But with optics on the gun I theorize the 5.5 inch is optimum
length for accuracy do to Dwell time of the slow moving 22.;) Meet up at Clark sometime you can shoot both of them.
DSC00153.JPG
DSC00120.JPG

Z
Find an older Smith repop Hi Standard match, and order up a bunch of mags! Best shooting .22 pistol out there for the money. Another one I'm very fond of are the Hammerelli match pistols, if you shop around, you can find them pretty reasonable! If your mostly looking for a plonker, the new Ruger mk-IV are super nice. Habe a look at the Colt Woodsmen target as well before you jump, I have had exceptional luck with mine!:)

I've got a Mark III Target with a Volquartzen trigger and love it. My next .22 pistol will be a Mark IV with 5.5" bull barrel, threaded, of course.

Big plus for Ruger is good aftermarket support.

That S&W Victory does look interesting though. Never have owned or shot a Buckmark.

Buckmark > Ruger.

Just my personal opinion. There's really no bad choice though. But in this category I'd be taking a real hard look at the S&W Victory too. .22 Plinkster has some reviews out on YouTube if you're looking for info.

As you go into this, I'd recommend evaluating how much you want any .22 target pistol to weigh and how it feels your grip.

Hardly an expert, I can shoot anything well enough to hit targets. But if you're like me and accustomed to the 1911 and larger caliber/high capacity/magnum pistols, a Ruger 22/45 Lite might feel somewhat insubstantial once you settle in at the range. Took me a couple outings to realize my first one was too light and too narrow. Felt a bit like a toy compared to what I'm used to.

Anyhow, I fabbed some simple steel plates to add weight and width to both of my Rugers and they behave a LOT nicer - for me. YMMV.

Ruger 1.JPG

Ruger 2.JPG

As you go into this, I'd recommend evaluating how much you want any .22 target pistol to weigh and how it feels your grip.

Hardly an expert, I can shoot anything well enough to hit targets. But if you're like me and accustomed to the 1911 and larger caliber/high capacity/magnum pistols, a Ruger 22/45 Lite might feel somewhat insubstantial when you really settle in at the range. Took me a couple outings to realize my first one was too light and too narrow. Felt a bit like a toy compared to what I'm used to.

Anyhow, I fabbed some simple steel plates to add weight and width to both of my Rugers and they behave a LOT nicer - for me. YMMV.

View attachment 439178

LIKE that one a lot!

View attachment 439188