JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Funny there's no pressure on the Girl Scouts to include boys.
That's because they're already pretty far left of center. Asking them to change for the better for girls like my daughter is like asking a cat to be a dog, or telling Biden to join the NRA. My daughter was simply not interested in the Girl Scouts at all; they were never any kind of real alternative to the Boy Scouts. Just because they have similar names doesn't mean they have much in common at all. If someone had started a "Female Scouts of America" that did for girls what the BSA does for boys, she would have been all over it.

The reality is that the Girl Scouts are going to do what they're going to do, and the Boy Scouts are going to do what they're going to do, policy-wise. There's nothing you or I can do about it, as individuals, whether we agree with the direction they're headed or not. On a solely practical level, I'm glad that my daughter had the experiences that she did, whether anyone else approves or not.

It's the same concept that they do for the older kids called Explorers. It's co-ed but broken into more specific roles as groups instead of it being a catch all for skills all young people should have.

Also, I don't like those cookies the girls sell :p

That's because they're already pretty far left of center. Asking them to change for the better for girls like my daughter is like asking a cat to be a dog, or telling Biden to join the NRA.
If I understand correctly (and correct me if wrong) the Girl Scouts were founded on a secular liberal ideology and the Boy Scouts founded on Christian ideology. Those differences if correct are huge.

IMG_1063.jpeg

sex specific programs for boy or girls more specifically focused on those masculine or feminine roles
I would not trust any organization to gender program any kids of mine.

Neither scouting nor any church. For obvious reasons. Except Evangelical churches. Because nothing bad has ever happened there.
200.gif

Last Edited:
Didn't click, don't really care what they wanna call it. It's just camping with your friends. I was a scout, once. Not my cup of tea.

Maybe the name change was an attempt to get away from the post bankruptcy stank the old name had? Kind of like when a company buys an old bankrupt company and then does not honor the old companies warrantee because that company is "gone"

edit to replace story that might be behind a paywall with the same story

If I understand correctly (and correct me if wrong) the Girl Scouts were founded on a secular liberal ideology and the Boy Scouts founded on Christian ideology. Those differences if correct are huge.
To be honest I really don't know. It probably also has a lot to do with local leadership to some degree. A friend of mine raised his daughters in Montana 20 years ago, and helped quite a bit in their girl scout troop. He said they did more outdoors stuff there and they loved it, but that was Montana 20 years ago. Our experience here was very different.

A lot of people nowadays really tend to judge entire organizations by the actions of bad apples. The Boy Scouts have had millions of decent, incredibly hard working leaders and volunteers who have helped raise untold millions of kids, yet they're all judged by the bad apples that caused so much damage.

Same with the Catholic Church (disclaimer: I'm not Catholic and I DO NOT want to get into any religious arguments), many millions of decent Catholics have helped untold millions of people, yet some just love to judge them all by the bad ones. Yes, I realize that the leadership coverups for the bad apples was truly shameful and consequential, but that doesn't negate the positive practical influence of the majority of decent regular folks helping people.

With both of the aforementioned organizations, corporate leadership may have their problems, but there are still a lot of boots-on-the-ground volunteers doing good things.

As to the gender "programming" and such, I don't see the point of bringing all that into this thread, snarky comments and all- seems a bit trollish.

With both of the aforementioned organizations, corporate leadership may have their problems, but there are still a lot of boots-on-the-ground volunteers doing good things.
They are the ones who really get screwed by these high-level decisions. Everyone who has an opinion is going to take it out on them, rather than the suit in the big city office.

Anyone ever notice it is always a three member circle jerk to unanimously disagree with normal logic? Monkeys, butlers, and I'd suggest a movie about my cousin who's name starts with a "V". They all must be "super"excited to "follow" each other because they only show up at the same time and place o_O

Anyone ever notice it is always a three member circle jerk to unanimously disagree with normal logic? Monkeys, butlers, and I'd suggest a movie about my cousin who's name starts with a "V". They all must be "super"excited to "follow" each other because they only show up at the same time and place o_O
Some folks forget that dissenting opinions are not allowed within an echo chamber. Tisk tisk!

This thread has turned into a divisive mess. Putting this thread out of its misery for all of our benefit so we can get back to being excellent w/ one another.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR