JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, but Californians quite probably out number all others combined. Just walk the streets and ask where people were born. Or we could do a show of hands on this forum and see how many moved here from Kali.....Chicago, really, get serious. Have you lived here since the 60s?

Brutus out

lived here my whole lyfe sunny! now teek errr dug n git uff muh lawn!!

$$$

o_O

Nope, but Californians quite probably out number all others combined. Just walk the streets and ask where people were born. Or we could do a show of hands on this forum and see how many moved here from Kali.....Chicago, really, get serious. Have you lived here since the 60s?

Brutus out

Pretty much answers why the state is so screwed up.:D

My parents moved out here from Minnesota and Wisconsin back in the 70s for college at Multnomah Bible College, and they've been living here since then...my brother and I were born in Portland hospitals, but grew up on the coast and in the valley....
recently the parents got back from Palm Springs/Indio....with pictures of GORGEOUS GREEN LAWNS, flowers everywhere, nice huge golf parks that gets watered every day.... its stuff like THIS that makes me wonder where's all the water going.......... I tell you, when California gets to a point that they're basically Wyoming with Las Vegas style areas (LA, SD, SF, Hollywood).... it should be quite interesting. property values outside these areas would likely drop like a ton of tungsten from orbit..... might be a good excuse to buy property there and wait for the State govt to collapse from lack of voters.

EDIT: Ya know...National Geography ran several months of articles in the mid-late 80s I think about California's water problems and this was when they had a lot fewer people...... the more things change, the more things stay the same :rolleyes:

"Palm Springs/Indio....with pictures of GORGEOUS GREEN LAWNS, flowers everywhere, nice huge golf parks that gets watered every day.... its stuff like THIS that makes me wonder where's all the water going........."

Actually, the Palm Springs area is not really hurting for water. It sits in a bowl full of water filled with sand that allows whatever doesn't evaporate to return to where it came from to be re-pumped ... but, if LA was able to get it's hands on that aquifer it would be emptied in a year, making the Palm Springs area look like a set from any number of "post apocalypse" movies....the town from the movie "the Book of Eli" springs to mind.

"Palm Springs/Indio....with pictures of GORGEOUS GREEN LAWNS, flowers everywhere, nice huge golf parks that gets watered every day.... its stuff like THIS that makes me wonder where's all the water going........."

Actually, the Palm Springs area is not really hurting for water. It sits in a bowl full of water filled with sand that allows whatever doesn't evaporate to return to where it came from to be re-pumped ... but, if LA was able to get it's hands on that aquifer it would be emptied in a year, making the Palm Springs area look like a set from any number of "post apocalypse" movies....the town from the movie "the Book of Eli" springs to mind.
good point. I wonder who owns the "water rights" of that particular aquifer.....

interesting fact.... Have you ever been to Palm springs? I used to ride my dirt bike through there all the time on the way to the San Juancito Mountains and Joshua Tree. It's literally a desert within a desert within a desert. However, I could see how the San Juancito mountains could supply an underground aquifer to the area. Though snow doesn't stay up in them hills for very long. Palm Springs= there are a couple (a couple) of small springs that spit out here and there in that area over a rather large area. I have assumed the name Palm Springs is a marketing catch word. Just like "Lakeside" California.... There's a puddle there.

Knowledge from living there for 3.5 years while in the Navy.

I fell timber in Garner Valley one winter, and during the weekends, I'd go to Palm Springs to cut firewood in the orchards....Orange, avocado etc. wood.

Lots of green grass, golf carts, and old guys with white shoes and white belts:cool:

ALL I remember about that area is that it was 105 degrees at 10:30 AM, and I remember the flood irrigation methods they used......even in my 20's I thought that was a tremendous waste of water:rolleyes:

Oh, We The Sheeple! Lets turn off all the water and electricity the peoples republic of Oregon sells to the Mexifornians and see what happens to the leftest lemmings then! You think its bad now, wait until the water shortages we face here in Oregon start to have a serious effect on us! When we cannot hold back enough water in the Columbia River to run our dams, We are in for big time power and water shortage right friggen here!!!!

Oh, We The Sheeple! Lets turn off all the water and electricity the peoples republic of Oregon sells to the Mexifornians and see what happens to the leftest lemmings then! You think its bad now, wait until the water shortages we face here in Oregon start to have a serious effect on us! When we cannot hold back enough water in the Columbia River to run our dams, We are in for big time power and water shortage right friggen here!!!!

AHH THE SKY IS FALLING!

Interesting thread. "The drought" has been going on for some time.. of course.
I find it interesting that in many lands it's "illegal" to catch rainwater even into barrels from gutters. Just seems wrong.
I mean maybe the person had/has traditional mining rights that go straight down.. why then can't they then "mine" straight up? anyway

First off, I was born and raised in CA. I love the State as much as any of you native Oregonians love Oregon. I grew up in the 50's when CA had one of the best educational systems in the country (didn't work on me.) and an affordable standard of living. Up until the mid 60's there was a pretty relaxed attitude and then things started to change. Not sure why, but they did. Probably greed. I am now a political refugee. I don't even enjoy crossing the State line. Is my carry legal?, is it stored properly? If the overall situation were to reverse and the CA government saw the error of it's ways, I would return. I have put up with droughts before. Don't see any of that happening ,so for now you are stuck with me. One very important point you locals are missing. In the 70's the timber industry was hit hard. I know I don't have to tell many of you that. The economic situation in Oregon hit the skids. Main Street was folding as more and more shops went under. There were some towns that saw a way out. They knew they had a safe town with an incredible environment. A place where retired Californians would like to retire to. These towns that open their doors prospered year round. While 20 miles south the town with the mind set of "Oregon for Oregonians" was sinking further and further into depression. Many of these "hold out" towns have now become retirement Meccas for a wide variety of out state retirees. I understand the mind set. When I got out of the service at the ripe old age of 20 years, I lived in small towns. I saw several of these towns over taken by people from large cities only to change them into the place they had just come from. Even the Oregon Native Indians came from somewhere else. We're all refugees. Some ended up here before others.

Last Edited:

Brutus out
103.gif Manhattan Beach, CA

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top