JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi y'all! I'm looking at getting a Christensen arms MPR in either 6mm or 6.5creedmoor. but I can't decide which would be the best. I've heard 6mm is way smoother out to 1000yds though. But maybe there's a better caliber for it to get out there I was also thinking 338 Lapua but not really sure. I'm new to the bolt action stuff.

Also what are your guy's opinion on the Christensen arms MPR? There's not that many reviews out there for it and I'd really like to know everyone's opinion who's dosnt get paid to talk good about them lol
THANKS! :)

(FYI this is for target shooting. Don't think this would be a good gun for hunting since you don't wanna scratch up the carbon fiber)

Screenshot_20220724-103153_Chrome.jpg

Unless you have a place where you can regularly shoot 338 Lapua to 1000, the caliber is a waste of money for target shooting.
Caliber is one of those things like debates about beer.
Suggest you look into the F-class shooting disciplines.

.300WM

But if you're gunna go 6.5CM I would get a Sig cross over a MPR.

Hi y'all! I'm looking at getting a Christensen arms MPR in either 6mm or 6.5creedmoor. but I can't decide which would be the best. I've heard 6mm is way smoother out to 1000yds though. But maybe there's a better caliber for it to get out there I was also thinking 338 Lapua but not really sure. I'm new to the bolt action stuff.

Also what are your guy's opinion on the Christensen arms MPR? There's not that many reviews out there for it and I'd really like to know everyone's opinion who's dosnt get paid to talk good about them lol

(FYI this is for target shooting. Don't think this would be a good gun for hunting since you don't wanna scratch up the carbon fiber)

View attachment 1245804
Since it is for target shooting only.

A fast twist 223 with 75gr+ high BC bullets gets you pretty far for little fuss. I shoot mine probably 4x more than my other bolt guns combined.

My opinion only….

If it's a target rifle and terminal ballistics aren't a big concern, I'd go with what does the job with less cost in ammo/components and less recoil. 6mm and 6.5mm match offerings are plentiful and you can get to 1000+ yards with less than 50gr of powder and as little as 10ftlbs of recoil. You'll be able to shoot more and you'll get better, faster.

For instance, I have similar trajectory and wind drift between my fast twist 243 Win and 300 Weatherby Magnum. For equal external ballistics, I have to use nearly twice the powder and experience nearly three times the recoil with the 300 WBY. 300 WBY cases are over $2 a piece. 30 caliber bullets are more expensive per bullet.

As far as Christensen, I've owned a couple and they were willing to make them right after a few months and phone calls and emails……(read between the lines).

View attachment 1245804

Tell us about your experience shooting long range.

P

Go with 6.5CM because it is cheap, plentiful and low on recoil. You do not want to start out LR shooting with a heavy recoiling weapon, you want to able to shoot it a lot. You may even want to consider a .223 shooting heavy match ammo, it go to 1000 yards just not with much poop left in it.

Before you spend a ton of money you might want to start small, then when you know your preferences spend bigger. The best aftermarket support is for Remington 700 actions followed by Savage. With experience under your belt you may find that a different rifle platform is more to your preference. Honestly, getting trigger time experience far outweighs any differences between "the best" rifle and an average one.

I'd personally go Savage or Ruger American/Precision since you can rebarrel with simple tools and gauges, but the same can be done with Remington's using the Remage system. I'm starting my long distance journey with a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 CM. When I'm better than it is I'll spend more money on something else or I'll upgrade barrel and chassis.

Eric Cortana just started an interesting series (The Needmore) where he buys a pair of cheap Remingtons and then makes changes to get the best possible accuracy out of them. Here is episode one of "Needmore"

I'm going to ditto the advice to start with 6.5 CM. Among the practical reasons above you will find that virtually every rifle is chambered for it. After you have reached it's capabilities you can start looking at others like the soon to be released 7mm PRC.

I shoot mine probably 4x more than my other bolt guns combined.
Not the only one. Even with stretched seating depths I can only get 26-28ish grains max in a case. Sipping powder and putting small groups on targets is a lot of fun. If the gun weighs more that 6 pounds it won't have any recoil either.

Back to the OP. Lots of great reasons to start with something like 223, 220, 222, or a little larger like the 6arc or 6.5 Grendel. If you reload for these they still are favorably lower powder charges than a 308 based cartridge. Less recoil, and yet still very satisfying to shoot.

I have a Lovely old Savage 110 currently in .270 that you might want to consider as one way to start...I say currently because I bought the threaded barrel Savage with the intent of swapping it out for a hefty 25-06 tube...Up to 30" available; 28" optimal...Check out the performance of the old 25-06 Cal vs 6.5 Creed...Performance shooting is not a new thing! I agree with 3MT that starting with a Savage or 700 platform that you can upgrade with your improving skill will serve you better than throwing money at a gun you will have to chase to master...You can wait till you're my age to splurge on Bergara toys...I also agree with the guys pointing you to the .223, .220, .222 direction too...Many fine old days in Christmas Valley murdering rodents with all those...Also acquired a .17 Rem at that time in my life...A ray gun unless it's windy...Good Luck going forward!

Last Edited:
I have been putting together a .22BR for distance shooting because it has a smidge more powder than .223 but uses the relatively cheap .223 bullets. Brass is way more expensive though and you have to convert it. (Note: I would reccomend strongly against doing this for anyone else unless they really want to mess with wildcats which is IMO a separate pursuit, for someone with quite a few years reloading behind them. )So even if you do at some point in the future step up in size, its really hard to beat the price on a .223 bullet and practice is the most important part of accuracy IMO.

But my choice is largely based on the fact that once setup I can shoot it almost like a .223 only get a bit more speed. Probably unnecessary entirely in my case.

.223 also has a pretty decent barrel life as well which is a consideration

If you don't reload, I have noticed that there is more 6mm Creemoor on the shelves than 6.5 Creedmoor.
(not Creedmore, that is a custom hillbilly cartridge)
So, 6mm Creedmoor for the win.

And then you'll have to research which "action" you want.
I like Remington 700 and M700 based actions.
Many like Savage and Tikka.
Then there's Howa/Vanguard.

So, do your homework and get what rings all the bells.

Last Edited:

This is where you will answer your question. Not here. National competition shooters.

I agree. I always tell people, when you're getting into a new sport/hobby/discipline, start cheap and dip your toe in the water. Once you spend a little time trying it out, you'll have a better idea of exactly what you want, or if it's even your thing in the long run. A good basic rifle will get you started, and should be plenty accurate for a beginner's skill level.

I don't know how many times I've seen someone go whole hog, spend a small fortune on gear for a particular hobby, then change their mind.

I agree. I always tell people, when you're getting into a new sport/hobby/discipline, start cheap and dip your toe in the water. Once you spend a little time trying it out, you'll have a better idea of exactly what you want, or if it's even your thing in the long run. A good basic rifle will get you started, and should be plenty accurate for a beginner's skill level.

I don't know how many times I've seen someone go whole hog, spend a small fortune on gear for a particular hobby, then change their mind.
I like those kind of people. Makes for a great buy later on down the road with little to no miles on the gear/gun. Haha.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top