JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of buying a backup camera for my truck I am getting tired of climbing in and out of the truck to see how close the hitch is to the boat trailer.
What does everybody else use there seem to be a lot of them out there to choose from.

Last Edited:
There was a thread about this last year and before and before that lol but it all depends if you park your boat or trailer in the same spot all the time and use the same truck or car just mark a spot on the ground or wall of the garage so you know where your at

I have used a Peak back-up camera (new model) for quite a few years now. It is on the second rig.

I have our on all the time. Not just in reverse.

IMGP2160.jpg

Nice to be able to glance down and see what the trailer is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you on a specific one as my Tacoma came with one already in it. They're freaking awesome! I'll never have another truck without one. And especially if your rig has a shell on it or is otherwise hard to see out of. Worth the money!!

I drive a cargo work van and have been thinking about a back up camera for it, for safety and for backing up to a trailer.

Seems I can get a new 2 din Apple Car Play radio with bluetooth for cell phone calls and a back up camera for about $400 installed at most car stereo stores, well at least at Car Toys.

I am less concerned with the brand of back up camera then where to mount it, lots are set up to mount on a license plate bracket, but my license plate is on the back passenger side door and I worry that it might not show the trailer ball.

Maybe i can just drill a hole in my bumper and mount it there?

Look at all the pickups driving down the road with big gouges in their bumpers and or tailgates. They don't have backup cameras.

Had one in my trucks the last 5 years and will never be without one again.

There are several variants out in the wild. As well as things not so high tech like magnet mounted high-vis poles. Either way, having some redundancy is a good thing. Kinda like making your captured and locked before driving forward with your 5th wheel! :D

I have this one. The camera has a very strong magnet so you can just stick it on the tailgate or use the 7 prong plug to power it. It's completely wireless and I used it all summer on 1 charge. Since it's magnetic and completely wireless, You also can move it up to the cab to use with your goosneck trailer too. Pretty handy.

Costco Wholesale

I think I got it on sale for around $100

My latest pickup has a very nice backup camera with a large screen for viewing on the radio face. When parking, I back up til my bumper just touches my gate, This camera is two-dimensional, and i cannot tell if my bumper is a foot, 6-inches, or zero inches from touching the gate, so i still have to get out and physically look. Likewise, when backing my ball to the trailer coupler, I cannot tell within 6-inches if the ball is under the coupler. There is no feeling of depth or distance.

I just got a new setup at Car Toys on my work pig. Pioneer stereo with Android Auto (and Apples equivalent) with XM receiver and backup cam. The Pioneer deck was $379 w free install, the backup cam added $120. The cam has night vision, which is very handy! The XM receiver was a $70 option. The cam can be installed wherever you want - I did a licence plate install, which would be perfect for hitching a trailer. The hands free in the truck works great to. Very happy with it all.

I've been meaning to install a backup camera for 5 years. In the meantime, this low tech solution has worked pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007772HG4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the tip Denim! That's probably what I'll get for the boat trailer. They needn't actually touch, rather simply show how far off I am in order to adjust.

Just for grins, I might also give this a quick try. It's a tiny camera (about the size of two Andes mints) with a free wifi connection to any cell phone. It's actually for taping to the belly of my RC planes and quads (to fly FPV). Brand new and I didn't try it yet, but what the hell, I'll set it on the bumper one time and see how close I can back the ball to the trailer. $45 xmas gift from Mrs. Teflon.

'Course with my luck, I'll probably get a ticket for using a hand held device in my truck!
dv 2.jpg
dv 1.jpg

My new car has a backup camera, and it might be my favorite option. now I get into one of my other cars and instinctively look down to the stereo to back up... Doh!
Amazing how quickly and easily we get dependent on tech.

I have a BNIB back up cam from costco. I paid about $120 for it a while back but never installed it. It's yours for fifty bucks.

I too went the CHEAP route but still have to get out & realign them if they touch they fall over....:eek::eek::eek::p

Yeah it's not perfect and I have to do the same, but it's better than backing up til you hear a crunch. I've had guys stare at me while I got out and aligned these while hooking up my trailer. I'd actually appreciate it if they would come over and help instead but people seem amazed at low tech solutions sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews