JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you seriously considering putting in a fallout shelter?

• Considering? Done already! I don't care how "modern" your house is, get to your shelter ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh hell ya I am. Advanced plans underway. Where's my shovel ...

• Yes, but progress is slow. Getting there.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Eh, cross my mind, but not so sure.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nope.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • No and totally unnecessary.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • (Burp!) Muh outhouse iz gud containment sis-em...

• There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
6eeiqi.jpg
War has yet again come to the European continent. Bullets flying, saber rattling, proxy war being waged with alacrity, and nuke talk flowing. There is no clear ending to the mess in Europa, an ever scheming Red China, and all the rest of this human condition. Some of are of the notion, of how to put this, we're on the eve of destruction. Others are preparing for whatever may come; with a spirit of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!

So what say you, considering a fallout shelter? Already got one in? Think the whole notion is straight up loco? Do share!

you-got.gif

Last Edited:
I don't believe in viruses or nuclear fallout.

As my hair is falling out I'll say "Why is this happening? Radiation doesn't exist!"

There are a few in 50s era LA homes. Used to be the hub of military subcontractors homes. They were no where near elaborate as modern shelters. These were just a basement accessed from outside with a metal door.

I never saw a home in LA with a traditional basement. People were more afraid of earthquakes than nukes.

That's exactly what my wife asked, "Are you seriously considering putting in a fallout shelter?" Of course she said it in a mocking, condescending way, so I said it was a septic tank.
[h3][/h3]

Was more or less something I was considering as part of my plans for the shop I would build on a new property.

Now it is something I would definitely explore - if I and my family survive the current situation long enough to see it thru.

Nope! Cant know where the bombs will fall, and cant plan to be where they ain't, or where the winds will carry the nasties, so, best is to be as far away from any target area long before the rockets fly, I vote Iceland or some place in Hudsons bay!

Fallout blows East. For the continental U.S., the PNW coastline would be the best(relative) place to be following a full thermonuclear exchange.

The best inland location (relative to everywhere else) is West of the Cascades roughly North/South between Eugene to Florence, OR and Redding to Eureka, CA

Most all of Washington State, East of the Olympic Mts. would be F'ing toast FWIW.

A fallout shelter can double as a safe room, as an actual gun safe for those of us who have enough guns to require a room instead of multiple safes, a "root cellar" and can serve a number of other functions.

Since I want both my shop and house to be mostly earth bermed (with a south facing exposure - like a sunlight basement, but one story) I was thinking a room on the backside where it would have reinforced with a cement ceiling, its own ventilation system, etc.

Not a bunker per se, but a room that would withstand most natural disaster scenarios (wind storms, earthquake, etc.), fallout (both manmade and volcano), maybe even forest fire (the shop house would not have trees/etc., close enough that the fire would get that hot, only grass/etc. - so the fire would move quickly over it, and there would be supplemental air inside, maybe CO2 scrubbers). The shop would preferably be metal framed and skinned with two walls being concrete.

Fallout blows East. For the continental U.S., the PNW coastline would be the best(relative) place to be following a full thermonuclear exchange.

The best inland location (relative to everywhere else) is West of the Cascades roughly North/South between Eugene to Florence, OR and Redding to Eureka, CA

Most all of Washington State, East of the Olympic Mts. would be F'ing toast FWIW.
Fallout from St. Helens did reach out to the coast and onto the ocean - I remember that because I was in the USCG at Newport, but it was very light - the heaviest fallout was to the east, but it did extend west to some degree.

But yes, I agree - it is relative.

St. Helens was estimated to be the equivalent of 24 Megatons. That was a big boom, heh. While much much bigger nukes were developed and tested back in the day, modern ballistic warheads are generally 1MT or less.

The only primary logistical targets in Oregon are Portland(Economic center) and Salem(Government center). Any strikes on the two cities would likely be air-bursts that maximize blast radius. Air-bursts don't produce fallout in the same volume that ground-bursts do. Ground-bursts eject material from the surface into the atmosphere, generating radioactive ash that can be blown further afield.

Now of course this simulation map isn't the end-all, but it gives a general idea of what would a likely outcome of an exchange would be.

The real question is whether a post-Nuclear apocalyptic world would be one worth living in. One thing is for sure... The Northern Hemisphere would be pretty screwed for a long time.

Primary multiple targets in the Seattle and Spokane areas having military/etc.

Portland is a secondary target (ports, etc.)

Salem I think is a ternary target.

If we get hit by Russian or Korean nukes, they probably won't be very accurate, and even the most accurate nukes can go off target due to whatever, so they can be 50-100 miles off the intended target.

Harry R. Truman

"Harry R. Truman (October 1896 – May 18, 1980) was an American businessman, bootlegger, and prospector. He lived near Mount St. Helens, an active volcano in Washington state, and was the owner and caretaker of Mount St. Helens Lodge at Spirit Lake near the foot of the mountain. Truman came to fame as a folk hero in the months leading up to the volcano's 1980 eruption after refusing to leave his home despite evacuation orders. He is presumed to have been killed by a pyroclastic flow that overtook his lodge and buried the site under 150 ft (46 m) of volcanic debris."

Let it blow, I don't care.

Harry R. Truman

"Harry R. Truman (October 1896 – May 18, 1980) was an American businessman, bootlegger, and prospector. He lived near Mount St. Helens, an active volcano in Washington state, and was the owner and caretaker of Mount St. Helens Lodge at Spirit Lake near the foot of the mountain. Truman came to fame as a folk hero in the months leading up to the volcano's 1980 eruption after refusing to leave his home despite evacuation orders. He is presumed to have been killed by a pyroclastic flow that overtook his lodge and buried the site under 150 ft (46 m) of volcanic debris."

Let it blow, I don't care.
If you live that close to ground zero - yeah, nothing short of moving away is going to help.

Otherwise, people have survived nukes and lived on for decades.

St. Helens was estimated to be the equivalent of 24 Megatons. That was a big boom, heh. While much much bigger nukes were developed and tested back in the day, modern ballistic warheads are generally 1MT or less.

The only primary logistical targets in Oregon are Portland(Economic center) and Salem(Government center). Any strikes on the two cities would likely be air-bursts that maximize blast radius. Air-bursts don't produce fallout in the same volume that ground-bursts do. Ground-bursts eject material from the surface into the atmosphere, generating radioactive ash that can be blown further afield.

Now of course this simulation map isn't the end-all, but it gives a general idea of what would a likely outcome of an exchange would be.

The real question is whether a post-Nuclear apocalyptic world would be one worth living in. One thing is for sure... The Northern Hemisphere would be pretty screwed for a long time.
Primary multiple targets in the Seattle and Spokane areas having military/etc.

Portland is a secondary target (ports, etc.)

Salem I think is a ternary target.

If we get hit by Russian or Korean nukes, they probably won't be very accurate, and even the most accurate nukes can go off target due to whatever, so they can be 50-100 miles off the intended target.
If it were me, I'd hit the umatilla weapons depot, and let whatever fun stuff is in there do the real damage as it spreads east.

If we have fall out and there isn't much odds of survival, I'm gonna sit with my family and try to enjoy the time we have left.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top