JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been on a gun buying binge since just before the election. I have justified this recent binge by convincing myself that I won't be able to purchase any more firearms through FFLs if Measure 114 restrictions go into effect. I believe an outsider looking in on my purchases would think I am addicted.

Has anybody else here felt the need to curb their firearm shopping habits? If so how did you do it?

Edit:

I am thinking about turning over my bank accounts to my wife and taking a small cash allowance every other week. The allowance would only be enough to cover personal expenses (food, fuel, etc). If I really needed something firearm related I would have to sell or trade something I already have. I have so much firearm related crap on hand, I shouldn't need anything for a long while.

I was saving up for a new car but those savings are gone. I haven't contributed any funds to my IRA in a long time. And I ran up another $2800 on a CC balance. I have paid cash for nearly every firearm I have bought in the last couple of months. But, I have used the CC to purchase stuff I would have normally used the debit card for.

I need to start using cash only. I find I spend more when I buy stuff with a card.

The wife is going to be disappointed.

Last Edited:
I used to be, but these days I'm addicted to buying race car parts.
The whole 114 thing made me try and find the one revolver I've been wanting back. But since 114 is on hold coupled with the fact that my job is now a temporary thing has rolled back my desire for the 686+.

Find a new, expensive hobby like model railroads or saltwater reef aquariums,
Or younger, more attractive women.

For a real answer, I find that if I stay off the internet and don't go into stores, I don't buy gun stuff. The hardest part, as with many addictions, is learning to say no and using a little willpower. The amount I spend on guns could be considered irresponsible by many, however as a hard rule I don't buy if I can't pay for it in cash on the spot. It's a way of at least staying out of crippling debt and ensuring the important things are covered first.

There's always "one more" that I see and just need to have. Dropping into my lgs and seeing something like a neglected muzzleloader, well it's hard to not walk out of there with that new project.

It's an addiction, I know, but it doesn't cost a bunch and it gives me something to do in my free time. The only issue I have is that I desperately need a 3rd safe now.

Yes. 2022 had me acquire well more than i'll ever shoot. And I'm still looking for others. Thankfully the mass shelf clearing since M114 became a reality has tempered my buying somewhat. That and finding an FFL that will accept shipments and release before 30 days.

There's always "one more" that I see and just need to have. Dropping into my lgs and seeing something like a neglected muzzleloader, well it's hard to not walk out of there with that new project.

It's an addiction, I know, but it doesn't cost a bunch and it gives me something to do in my free time. The only issue I have is that I desperately need a 3rd safe now.
It would be a more financially responsible hobby for me if I bought and sold instead of buying and holding. I try not to pay a lot more for a firearm than I think I could sell it for but I have a very difficult time parting with them once I buy them.

If a guy could be happy with buying and using a firearm for a little while and then sell it before picking up another, he would be in good shape. Unfortunately I am in more of a buy and hold stage of life. Measure 114 has only strengthened that desire to buy and hold. I put up a revolver for sale a couple of weeks ago and pulled the ad within hours, because I decided I didn't want to part with it. It is a sad state to be in.

Yes. 2022 had me acquire well more than i'll ever shoot. And I'm still looking for others. Thankfully the mass shelf clearing since M114 became a reality has tempered my buying somewhat. That and finding an FFL that will accept shipments and release before 30 days.
Tigard Pawn 4 More will accept new transfers and release in about 5 days. That is why I have bought so many recently. Most of mine have been local deals but all have been released in 5 or 6 days since late November. Probably shouldn't have shared that for your wallets sake.

Tigard Pawn 4 More will accept new transfers and release in about 5 days. That is why I have bought so many recently. Most of mine have been local deals but all have been released in 5 or 6 days since late November. Probably shouldn't have shared that for your wallets sake.
I can have a bud's gun or guns.com ship to them?

There is no pill or magic method that will rid you of addiction - whether it be guns, sex, alcohol, nicotine, or any of the schedule drugs.
Understanding the thinking and biochemical process in your life may help.
There are methodologies like DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) where you train yourself to recognize the pattern of thinking and then interrupt it with a self initiated redirection. Personally, I'm a fan of meditation in any of its forms. Reloading and shooting can be two meditative practices, and in both I find I can tune out the world and make time stop. These, to me, are much more fulfilling than buying guns.

I suspect you crave dopamine, and there's a rush with finding that firearm and then the thrill when you pick it up and hold it. If your addiction foundation is rooted in fear - fear that you won't be able to defend yourself or that you won't be able to buy guns, you're reacting to an irrational thought process and not recognizing your reality. You did allude to this fear, so it's a good presumption that it also plays a factor.
Most importantly, be honest with yourself. Your OP is a good start.

If you are interested in practicing meditation, you might just start with prayer. For other options and to learn how, there are many dharma centers that can be found (I haven't visited any in more than a decade). Some of them you have to get past the woo-woo sh!t, and at most you will have to hold your nose at the woke mentality, but meditation is a wonderful skill to develop and the mindfulness you forge and hone from it is invaluable.

Am I addicted to buying guns...no.
I do not feel an urge / desire to buy , just because something is available ...
Nor do I buy something that I think I won't like.

I have bought guns , because they looked like they would be fun to own or shoot...and soon afterwards sold or traded 'em off.
I am doing that now with a Black Aces Lever Action Shotgun.
I don't see that as an addiction however...because I will either sell it or trade it soon...or not...
It is not a pressing need that drives my thinking or actions.

For the OP....
It might be wise to ask yourself :

Why are you buying this item...?
Will this new item serve an actual purpose for you...?
Do you already own something that serves this purpose...?
If so ...Will the new item serve this purpose "better"...?

Buying this item...will it place a financial hardship on myself or family...?
Will buying this item lead to regrets later..?
Are you buying just to be buying something...?
And finally....
Something is really only a great deal....if you have an actual use for it.
Andy

spongebob-meme-meditation.gif

I was on quite the purchasing spree myself, especially leading up to the WA mag purchase ban. I have a few more I want but am practicing some self-control. My bigger problem is purchasing ammo, for that I do not go into sportsman's or Bi-mart. I cannot be trusted.

Guns are fun but take it from a 57 year old. Pay off those cards off every month, fund those retirement accounts, have a plan to pay off the house early and NO card or vehicle payments. Keeping your money does not suck.

My wife who I have been happily married to going on 38 years said to me yesterday. If I were to pass first she would consider my gun collection to be a burden to try to liquidate for a fair price. I get a great deal of enjoyment and pride of ownership from said guns. I am 60 with no kids. I am beginning to consider this when I buy additional firearms. After going through a probate of a family members estate it makes me a bit more sensitive to this consideration.

Last Edited:
My wife who I have been happily married to going on 38 years said to me yesterday. If I were to pass first she would consider my gun collection to be a burden to try to liquidate for a fair price. I get a great deal of enjoyment and pride of ownership from said guns. I am 60 with no kids. I am beginning to consider this when I buy additional firearms. After going through a probate of a family members estate it makes me a bit more sensitive to this consideration.
I believe you can set up a trust and have anyone you choose as a co-owner of the items in the trust. When you pass, they already own the stuff - no probate.

But I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads