JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a bug up my bubblegum to go shooting today and originally I booked an appointment at Clackamas shooting range but then I said never mind. I want to shoot a couple hundred rounds today and do some plinking. So I went out BLM land. Drove about an hour. Went to a local shooting spot on trashnoland.org it's been awhile since I've gotten out there. The place was disgusting. I grabbed all the large plastic that I could and I didn't have a shovel but I swept as many of the shells as I could into a pile then I totally gave up. And I'm not saying everybody's got to go catch their own brass. But please don't ruin it for everybody else. I have been taught as a child to always take out more trash than you would bring into the forest for camping and other activities. I understand everybody might not be raised that way. But pick up your crap, it's ridiculous and you're going to ruin it for everybody else here.

Most of us have pickup trucks or some type of SUV. Why don't you position the vehicle to where the shells can eject into the truck bed or the back of the SUV which can be swept out later at the dump. Sorry this is more of a rant than a discussion. I apologize. I am trying to be more involved with trash No land

Had a bug up my bubblegum to go shooting today and originally I booked an appointment at Clackamas shooting range but then I said never mind. I want to shoot a couple hundred rounds today and do some plinking. So I went out BLM land. Drove about an hour. Went to a local shooting spot on trashnoland.org it's been awhile since I've gotten out there. The place was disgusting. I grabbed all the large plastic that I could and I didn't have a shovel but I swept as many of the shells as I could into a pile then I totally gave up. And I'm not saying everybody's got to go catch their own brass. But please don't ruin it for everybody else. I have been taught as a child to always take out more trash than you would bring into the forest for camping and other activities. I understand everybody might not be raised that way. But pick up your crap, it's ridiculous and you're going to ruin it for everybody else here.

Most of us have pickup trucks or some type of SUV. Why don't you position the vehicle to where the shells can eject into the truck bed or the back of the SUV which can be swept out later at the dump. Sorry this is more of a rant than a discussion. I apologize. I am trying to be more involved with trash No land
Indeed. Good work.
I think every vehicle and or range-bag should have a Hefty contractor bag or two in it.
đź‘Ť

As rants go, I'll give you a 6.7 on the rant-o-meter. As far as sentiment, I agree with you 150%! People be pigs.
When I lived in Eastern Oregon I had my deer hunts ruined more than once because I'd stop and clean up some west-side jackwagon's mess. How do I know they were from the west side? Because they left their grocery receipts and in some cases mail in the heaps of trash. Pigs.

It's the sloppy shooters that get all these places shut down. Good on you for cleaning up as much as practical! I'm the same way, I'll leave it better than I found it. I've guilted more than one party into cleaning up after themselves. Sometimes a week later when we ran into them again. My size generally helps in persuading them to do the right thing, but I like to think it's my personality.

It was better (not perfect) before all of the city folk had a way to find good shooting spots out in the boonies where they would have never gone before, because none of them are going to take the time to travel some dirt roads to find a decent place.

Everyone I know that grew up in the sticks always hauls more trash out then we take in, be it plinking, hiking, hunting or whatever because none of us like to go out in 'nature' and have it look like the city dump station.

I bring a big contractor sized garbage bag every time I go and there is often a lot to pick up. I'm too lazy to pickup shotgun shells but get all the big or ugly stuff, ammo boxes, broken cans, bottles, targets etc. Seems like everyone leaves shot up phones and tablets now. I guess that is better than big TVs though.

They are higher up the "worst" scale than other forest users. Shotgun shooters are even worse leaving their hulls.
My guess is many 'once a year' shooters go out with makeshift targets that when shot up are not really practical to take home. I do wish the LGS's would give away fliers on target shooting etiquette.

Where I shoot on BLM land is also a party spot for teenagers, so it really gets trashed. There's a big fire pit, and it always has tons of half burnt beer cans, etc. People do clean it up every so often.

They also steal and part out cars there, so scrappers have to be called in to haul away the scrap vehicle. A cop friend of mine used to have to drive there every so often to look for stolen cars.

It was better (not perfect) before all of the city folk had a way to find good shooting spots out in the boonies where they would have never gone before, because none of them are going to take the time to travel some dirt roads to find a decent place.

Everyone I know that grew up in the sticks always hauls more trash out then we take in, be it plinking, hiking, hunting or whatever because none of us like to go out in 'nature' and have it look like the city dump station.
I have to agree. The internet and oversharing (aka: can't keep your big mouth shut syndrome) has been extremely detrimental to public lands. IMO, it's kind of the same principle as giving someone something for free. If they get it for free they won't appreciate it and care for it the same as if they had to work or invest something of their own into it.

The best way to ruin/destroy any hunting/fishing/shooting/foraging/camping/uniquely scenic spot is to tell a stranger about it.

I agree too. The folks I know... everyone walking the grounds policing the area and immediate surroundings is the last step before loading up to head home.

It's the sloppy shooters that get all these places shut down. Good on you for cleaning up as much as practical! I'm the same way, I'll leave it better than I found it. I've guilted more than one party into cleaning up after themselves. Sometimes a week later when we ran into them again. My size generally helps in persuading them to do the right thing, but I like to think it's my personality.

Dam…. I gotta get me one of them, "personalities"!

Additionally, don't forget a sharp butchers' breaking knife, a cordless reciprocating saw with spare batteries, some tarps with duct tape, and access to a pig farm!

:s0131:
I forget the original author, but as the old saying goes... "A buddy with a backhoe is a friend for life, indeed."

There are far worse litterbugs on the planet. Locally, I'd say it might be a cultural issue. People from other countries " don't know any better " and just dump everything from tires, to broken appliances, to household food waste on logging roads. Mostly just right inside the gate. Oddly enough, some of the families who have lived here for multiple generations do exactly the same disgusting sh!+.
Trailer park dwellers and section 8 apartment tenants, I'm lookin at you!

While I do not like seeing debris / litter / trash left by gun owners in the woods...gravel pits...shooting areas....
I have seen far worse trash left / dumped by folks who did not appear to be gun owners.

In any event....
Leaving or dumping trash of any kind is damn near a sin in my book.
Andy

While I do not like seeing debris / litter / trash left by gun owners in the woods...gravel pits...shooting areas....
I have seen far worse trash left / dumped by folks who did not appear to be gun owners.

In any event....
Leaving or dumping trash of any kind is damn near a sin in my book.
Andy
Pretty sure it's one of the seven deadly sins listed in the mockeryphia…

:s0153:

Yeah…. Starting my post with, "ADDITIONALLY" adds to the materials already mentioned in the quote-box preceding my post…… ASH.

o_O

;):s0140:

1000003359.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR