JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"stripped", OK

"pistol", OK

"rifle", No

If it has been a rifle at one time in it's life, or if it was transferred as a long gun on the 4473, you can't build a pistol on it. If it was bought as a bare or "stripped" receiver, you can build it as whatever you want.

Just start from a new lower or a lower you can physically see is from a pistol/marked as a pistol lower.
No amount of fun is worth the head aches

"once a rifle,always a rifle" ?

Can you legally build an ar pistol on a ar rifle lower or do you have to use a pistol lower for it to be legal?

a friend of mine who has a pistol just to see if it would fit but the long gun lower on a pistol is cool looking but not cool to shoot the back pressure is nasty and not worth it and to put a long upper on a pistol lower is just stupid that bare buffer tube hurts like **** when it digs into you shoulder

i did it once to a friend of mine who has a pistol just to see if it would fit but the long gun lower on a pistol is cool looking but not cool to shoot the back pressure is nasty and not worth it and to put a long upper on a pistol lower is just stupid that bare buffer tube hurts like **** when it diggs into you shoulder

um.......................ok how many laws did you just admit you violated on a public forum

um.......................ok how many laws did you just admit you violated on a public forum

Technically I don't think any. Just created a long barrel pistol. As long as a stock wasn't added you can change the uppers around as much as you want and as long as there wasn't a foregrip on the upper

Edit: Nevermind totally illegal read it backwards the first time

As I understand... If you have a lower purchased as a "stripped" unit, the initial document will show it as "multi". What that means is it's up to you how it get's built. All you have to do is follow federal law and do the configuration correctly.
For the people building thier own ARs at home :
As a rifle configuration - it has to be a 16" barrel or longer upper to have a lower with a stock.
As a pistol configuration upper it has to be a shorter barrel and can't have a lower with a stock.
Anything in combination is subject to Federal Law and Tax. A pistol upper on a rifle lower requires a "SBR" tax stamp, which is quite a few dollars sent to the Gov and red tape wrapped all over you. A Rifle upper on a pistol lower is illegal anyway.
The simplest thing to do is - don't mix and match parts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top