AR-14 Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by Both Eyes Open, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Active Member

2   1   0
    Ok, so I have a friend who was in the Air Force in the late 60's. He remembers shooting an AR-14 Rifle. I have never heard of this and my "google" research goes straight to AR-15/M16 rifles however he distictly remembers the designation AR-14. My theory is that he is thinking of an M14 although I have shown him a picture of an M14 and he is sure that is NOT the rifle. Can any of the Military Rifle enthusiasts help me out here? Is there (and if so what is) an AR-14 rifle? The other little clue is that he remembers a 2 round burst mode. Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance for all your expertise!
    :gun11:
  2. Navvet

Navvet Active Member

2   0   0
    It is possible if he was in a "special" group, he may have fired the Stoner Weapons System. It was not adopted due to some political considerations, but some units in Vietnam used it. I believe they were made in 2 different versions, but then I was in a Looooong time ago and I could be mistaken. Google Stoner weapon systems.
  3. odin9

odin9 Member

10   1   0
    armalite stoner platform AR-14 burst fire and full auto
  4. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Active Member

2   1   0
    Thanks for the input guys, I still have not found any info on the AR-14. The only stoner weapon system rifle I found info on was the Stoner 63. Anyway, i'm keepin' lookin'.
  5. chariot13

chariot13 Well-Known Member

16   0   0
    Probably one of those where, if you were where it was, you must need to know, otherwise you didn't need to know? I want a M-15 now!
  6. Navvet

Navvet Active Member

2   0   0
    The Marines just adopted the H&K system for their use. Of course by the time Omama is through, there will only be 3 marines left.
  7. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Active Member

0   0   0
    Maybe he's thinking of the AR-18... then again, maybe his memory isn't that good anymore.
    mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. EMP9596

EMP9596 Active Member

10   0   0
    The AR-14 to the best of my knowledge was Stoner's predecessor to the AR-15..?

Gotta pull some disc's and look... & found something - upper right hand foto.

Armalite Techs making adjustment on the AR-14 the experimental predecessor to the AR15.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  9. drwhisen

drwhisen New Member

0   0   0
    The AR14 is an assault rifle of the Republic of Surea Armed Forces, manufactured by Deftech Industries. It is a shoulder-fired, gas-operated, selective-fire assault rifle that feeds from a 20 or 30 round magazine and is chambered for 5.56 NATO. The AR14 has replaced the M16A1 rifle in Surean military use in 2002. The AR14 formally entered Surean military service in 2002.
  10. MicroManager

MicroManager New Member

0   0   0
  11. rogue

rogue New Member

0   0   0
    The AR-14 was the military stepping-stone of the M-14 to the M-16 in the 50's in the early Vietnam War period. Designers were looking for ways to lighten the load of soldiers going to battle, fast turnarounds and easier to mass-produce than wood-stock rifles. At the time the M-16 came out, it was a lot better-handling than the AR-14. And so the short-story goes....