JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read somewhere of reasonable velocity from a Windham Weaponry 9" pistol gas .450 Bushmaster upper...and also watched a video test of a home built 7.5" barreled .450 Bushmaster showing written results of .454 Casull velocities. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with one of these SBR thumpers???

WINDHAM__450_thumper_7-1024x575.jpg

I read somewhere of reasonable velocity from a Windham Weaponry 9" pistol gas .450 Bushmaster upper...and also watched a video test of a home built 7.5" barreled .450 Bushmaster showing written results of .454 Casull velocities. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with one of these SBR thumpers???

View attachment 1880872
I haven't shot it but compare to .308 which is $0.70 per round vs $1.25 for .450 bushmaster.

Roller delayed .308 shoots smooth and recoil is very mild about like 300 blackout.

Short .308 (ptr k3p) semi vs binary video to show recoil:

8.5" version
12.5"
Energy levels of various calibers (I don't have .450 bushmaster on the graph yet). It would be interesting to compare bullet drops of .308 vs .450BM at ranges past 200 yards.
A9B3F05D-2A38-4A6B-812B-E0A2D25EACA2.jpeg

Last Edited:
I built a 16" 450 Bushmaster. In its test shoot, I stopped after two rounds because it was slamming the BCG into the back of the buffer tube, throwing the brass at 1 o'clock, and recoiling hard. I put on an adjustable gas block and brake on it.
When you consider the report on a 7" AR pistol in 223, I'll bet the 450 Bushmaster in that barrel length will be painful even with doubled up hearing protection.

I built a 16" 450 Bushmaster. In its test shoot, I stopped after two rounds because it was slamming the BCG into the back of the buffer tube, throwing the brass at 1 o'clock, and recoiling hard. I put on an adjustable gas block and brake on it.
When you consider the report on a 7" AR pistol in 223, I'll bet the 450 Bushmaster in that barrel length will be painful even with doubled up hearing protection.
Fwiw in my experience it depends on the type of hearing protection. Many people use 22db muffs, I don't understand why. With Peltor X5A everything sounds about the same. I hear you though for those that shoot at public ranges about it affecting others on the range who aren't wearing adequate ear protection (again I don't understand why people use low db protection, but I know it's very common).

BE42109A-FE1C-4717-AFC3-2B17DC695F91.jpeg

Last Edited:
Thanks for the comments...but specifically looking for .450 Bushmaster SBR experiences. I already have a Stamped SBR lower and a couple 16" .450 uppers, considering cutting or rebarreling one...not looking for alternative calibers...I think I'd like a 10.5" barrel, but cutting one I have would require it to be a bit shorter at 8" in order to change it to a pistol length gas...was hoping someone had experience with that configuration.

As for hearing protection...I use "Howard Leight MAX" (fluorescent orange disposable ear plugs rated at NRR 33)...never had any discomfort issues either from excessive noise or fit...but you definitely need to put them in properly.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top