JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a charter bulldog .44 special 5 shot. A friend owed me some money. Have not shot a .44 special but like its ballistics for an in house defense gun. Seems like it would have a big stop without going through the rest of the house. How is the kick and noise on these things?

Yes mine has the low hammer. Has black rubber custom grips and is steel, not blue. Don't know if they made them in blue? He threw in 4 boxes of bullets from plain lead to jacketed hollow point. He owed me 200 so I guess I got a deal. So blast isn't much? I figure Id get some from the chamber as the cyl doesn't seem that tight

One of my daily carry pieces is an older Charter Arms 3" .44 special Bridgeport blue. Serial number ... , oh, the Packmayr (sp?) hard black rubber wrap around grips covers part of the serial number. An older gun probably made back in the day. Possibly late 1970s or early 1980s? I have had it close to 25 years now.

Excellent mechanical condition. Still very tight. Heavy finish wear. Only fired a total of around 1000 rounds. All factory Winchester Silver Tips. This is one of those handguns you carry a lot but shoot only a little bit. Intensive felt recoil to me. More so than a S&W 629 4" .44 mag Mountain Gun. About 19 oz empty.

Did I mention a big flash and muzzle blast?

About 26 oz loaded with the 200 grain Winchesters. Heavy muzzle flip and recoil. The fixed sights seem to work fine out to about 20 feet. The single action is very light and crisp. Double action long, smooth and typically heavy. Light, compact and disappears with an inside the pants paddle holster. Multiple speed loaders.

I see later models at gun shows over priced and shot loose. You do NOT want to hand load for this dinky revolver. The Charter Arms is a low pressure round only gun. Practice ammo using Cowboy puff ball loads would be a good idea. Not recommended for wimps. The gun bucks that badly. But a very effective carry piece.

Disadvantages include only 5 shots. A learned muscle memory to quickly speed reload the piece. The speed loaders put lumps and bumps in your pants and jacket pockets. But for the money, if you can find a good older tight Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog it would be an excellent choice. They are going cheap now.

Respectfully. Like under $200 bucks cheap. Sometimes for $150. Folks shoot them 5 times and get rid of the gun.

Ha thanks much---that figures. Thought I stole it! It just looks like its gong to be nasty to shoot. Think I'm right though that if you have to stop someone in a room in your house that its going to do more than a 9mm and even if you miss the blast might scare the snot out of them. So guess this wont be the gun to use to teach my 140 pound daughter how to shoot.

Had one years ago - back when the original CA made them.

It was okay. But I got a Ruger SP101 to replace it. Now I have a 329PD - much more expensive, but I much prefer it. If a person wants a snubby that is lightweight, then either the Ruger LCRs or S&W Scandium revolvers would be my choice.

The recoil and blast with 200 gr. JHP CCI Lawman ammo (IIRC) was lighter than the .357 in a snubby. I would rate the stopping power about the same as a .45 ACP.

I did not care for blued revolvers - that was about the time I went over to stainless on almost everything I bought in guns.

Ruger makes a GP 100 now in .44 special - that would be my choice if I wanted a semi-compact .44 special revolver that was not particularly light but not as heavy as a magnum either - I am sure that it would take any heavy load you put in it. Rugers are built like a tank - I was very impressed with the SP101, except for the fact that it was a snubby. I now prefer 4" barrels on revolvers, but not less than 3 and not more than 5 inches if I can't get a 4".

I have had a Bull DOG Pug in .44spl for other 35 years now. 2" barrel

yes it is loud and if you use a hot load it will throw some fire. Any pistol with to short of barrel to burn all the powder in before it goes flying out the muzzle will also. I strongly suggest hearing protection unless your life depends on shooting it without.

As to it being hard to handle I don't know about the he men here but at age 5 my son (who is very average size and was at the time) hit a paper plate at 7 yards all five time. I held my hand under the butt and put my arm across his elbows he pulled the hammer back himself and did all aiming and firing himself. His Smile could have lit up an eclipse.

He shot that pistol many times growing up. its now our bedroom pistol loaded with old school 200 gr Winchester Silver Point HP's

YES I SAID AGE 5 FIVE CINCO thats not a typo.

Well, I went and shot the thing. The fire stung my upper hand a little and holy cow it was loud. Used those aluminum hollow points. Guess the good thing about it as a house gun is if the lights are on the crook will be scared by the size of the bore. Just decided to get a Taurus PT 111 and sell the thing.

Good advice, thanks. Going to take my daughter to a gun range/school that starts them out on fake loads that make a bang.

Just remembered one of my favorite guns as a young man. Savage over under with 410 shot and 22 magnum over. Thing took many a squirrel and dove. Thanks all.

Late to the party again! I have three Charter Arms Revolvers all of mine are Pitbull's, which fire various Semi-Auto calibers. I have all three the 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. The 9 is aggressive in recoil, the 40 snappier, and the 45 punishing. I have only shot the 45 ten times, the 40 a good bit more, I will shoot the 9 more, just haven't.
I expect the 44 Special in the Bulldog and the 45 ACP are close....makes me a bit wary, still at the prices mentioned above, I would buy a reasonable example.
You cannot reload a Pitbull fast, or I can't anyway. The little protrusions that hold the rimless case work to impede the smooth entry of a new round. I don't know of a speed loader for any of them. I use 38/357 speed strips for the 9MM and 40 S&W (They work okay).
Pitbull's are also a Medium size frame, not all that small.

Just got a charter bulldog .44 special 5 shot. A friend owed me some money. Have not shot a .44 special but like its ballistics for an in house defense gun. Seems like it would have a big stop without going through the rest of the house. How is the kick and noise on these things?
Never shot a .44 spcl., but would like to some day.
FWIW, I believe the traditional loading of a 246 gr. LRN bullet with a MV of 750 ft./sec. is about the mildest loading you can get.
Still plenty powerful and from what I've heard the .44 spcl is an inherently accurate round.
The old Target Flat top Smith's chambered in .44 were revered for their tack-drivability.

Dean

Have not owned one, shot them a few times! I like them, but I have pretty small hands. I would certainly like to own one hint, hint! LOL!!! My main point of advice is, if I'm going to pack a five shooter, a .44 is infinitely preferable to a .38spl! For HD I just, flat want more rounds on tap. Enjoy your new piece! :)

Have not owned one, shot them a few times! I like them, but I have pretty small hands. I would certainly like to own one hint, hint! LOL!!! My main point of advice is, if I'm going to pack a five shooter, a .44 is infinitely preferable to a .38spl! For HD I just, flat want more rounds on tap. Enjoy your new piece! :)

Back in the early days of them trying to make a reliable sub compact auto I ended up with a couple of them. Wanted to love Detonics, just could never get one to work. Tried one of these, the originals. Loved it. This was before we could mail order ammo so it got me to reloading since ammo was hard to find. With slugs in the 200gr or so it was VERY easy to use and to me beat hell out of a 5 shot .38. Even then several different grips were made for them to get what you wanted. Ended up having one customized for me. Took a "target model" and had it chopped a bit. One of the guns I wish I had kept. Problem of course now would be parts if something ever broke.

I have a 1991 Stainless 3" barreled model. You would not believe how quickly bad guys surrender when they're suddenly looking down what distinctly resembles a sewer pipe! :eek:;)

While the older CA bucks fairly hard, it isn't uncontrollable. A 200-grain Underwood Extreme Penetrator would be the best bet. Failing that, a 200-grain solid lead SWCHP with a copper gas check loaded to about 800 fps would prevent barrel leading and provide decent expansion.

The "older" CA revolvers beat a .38 Special by a substantial margin modern Extreme Penetrators do not require expansion to disrupt tissue and provide good penetration.

This is really the way to go.

Thanks for the heads up on the Underwood ammo.
Just noticed they also offer a 255 gr. SWC @ 1000 f/s.
Sounds like its based on Skeeter Skelton's old load.
The flat nose on that 200 gr. wadcutter looks like it would hit like a freight train, too.

Dean

Last Edited:
qualified with my Rossi 720 44Spl, when I went for my AZ CC permit, could hardly tell it from a hot 38Spl was able to keep my shots in the hit zone and follow up shots were where they were supposed to be. Granted the Rossi is a lot heavier gun with a barrel shroud like a Python and a 3", I kept it quite a while but sold it because for me the ammo was too expensive and I wasn't set up to reload I only carried it when I was alone in the woods, Lions & Tigers & Bears OH MY! :eek:
LOL, never even needed to pull it. I guarantee if you ever need it in a serious situation, you won't feel the recoil or hear the muzzle blast till later when your palm might sting, and you'll be saying pardon me please I didn't hear that, because your ears will still be ringing so bad,
Later on I had a fox that wasn't behaving like a wild critter should, that I put a 9mm between his front feet, never saw him again! If one takes a notion to bite you, they are really quick and small, hard to hit, and often can carry rabies, I don't take chances with that. I hear the treatment is worse than the bite.
BTW 44Spl and 45 Long Colt are nearly identical ballisticly.
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top