JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Link to the website for the other Luddites like me: SilencerCo | Muzzleloader | Maxim 50 - SilencerCo

Not legal to hunt with in Oregon.

No provisions for carrying a ramrod if you were hunting with it. I assume the rod that comes with the gun breaks down in some fashion and has to be carried separately, along with the extra long short starter.

What happens if you screw up and load without the brass tube.? I would assume the suppressor gets powder in the baffles which might ruin your day when the gun fires. And don't tell me it would never happen, seen too many dry balls, short started ball and shot ramrods.

Advertising claims it's not only quieter, but there is "greatly reduced recoil and a 2/3 reduction in smoke", so it's basically a muzzleloader that removes everything fun about shooting a muzzleloader.

No thank you.

Last Edited:
Well some folks may like it...but its not for me.

It totally goes against all the reasons why I like traditional muzzleloaders.
If I wanted to shoot a modern gun , I'd shoot a modern gun...
Andy

I'm sorely tempted to get one, even if I'd have to use it in modern season, mostly because I don't believe there should be a separate muzzloader season .

I see this as a cool gun that works for a basic hunting rifle that can deliver a strong punch.

I don't believe there should be a separate muzzloader season .
I don't know why you 'believe' there shouldn't be a separate season - the reason for it is so the muzzleloading hunter does not have to compete with those in the same areas using modern, repeating rifles. Heck if you want to discuss not believing in something most of us 'traditional' muzzleloading hunters do not believe modern, inline style rifles should be allowed in muzzleloading seasons at all.

Eh .I don't buy the need for special treatment of muzzleloaders. Good way to get special, prime hunting though.

There is nothing noble , special or extra sporting about a front loader (I have two, all properly wood and brass ) and I feel special treatment for a smoke pole is wrong .

Last Edited:
I applaud the effort, but it does nothing for me. I've jumped through the necessary hoops to run several platforms suppressed and have no regrets in making the effort, and incurring the added expense, to do so. I no longer do anything muzzleloader, but have in the past and likely will do so again at some time in the future. However, I'd want to keep somewhat faithful to the classic arms with such a project. This thing, while I suppose neat in it's own way, is neither fish nor fowl. That said, if it works for someone, most excellent.

I didn't like the idea it required a special funnel to get past the sound modulation device.

Plus for the price you could get a nice quality replica of a piece of history.... Or 5 modern inline muzzleloaders.

Just didn't seem worth it for the sound modulation.

Meh, not for me! Its cool that it offers benefits for the Front Stuffers, but its kind of self defeating. Those of us who hunt traditionally, prefer to use tools as our for father's did, and those tools never had such advancements.
As to "Special Treatment" i find the state's to be more restrictive then any thing our for father's ever faced, and having seporated seasons fits perfectly, muzzle loader hunting requires much closer shots, a single shot may be the only one you get, and not having the added pressures of hundreds of other hunters with much longer range potential competing at the same time is a real welcome and needed rule!
Sadly, the rules are far to restrictive for us front stuffer hunters, so we take what we get and are grateful for it, after all, it could be worse!

mostly because I don't believe there should be a separate muzzloader season .

Speaking only for myself I wish the muzzloading season whould be restricted to a traditional style of muzzleloader :
Matchlock
Wheellock
Flintlock
Percussion
Be that as it may...I have often won rifles matches against those who were using inlines or even a modern scoped centerfire rifle with my Hawekn rifle , which is pictured below...

And with all of the above said...
You can always use your muzzleloader in "Modern Rifle Season"...I've done that before when I've had hunting partners who do not have a proper muzzleloader.

Always fun when you run into a game warden then , when he checks your partner's Remington 700 or what have you...then he sees that I am carrying one of these three...Especially the bottom two as they are original rifles...one from around 1800 the other the late 1830's or so....
Andy
Hawken.jpg

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06789.jpg

There's a used one at a LGS, it looks like an abomination. It's just a novelty for people who can't legally own a firearm in my opinion.

Eh .I don't buy the need for special treatment of muzzleloaders. Good way to get special, prime hunting though.

There is nothing noble , special or extra sporting about a front loader (I have two, all properly wood and brass ) and I feel special treatment for a smoke pole is wrong .

It's because a modern rifle enables you to shoot at anything up to 1200 yards, according to the 'Nimrod's' on youtube. To me that's not what hunting is about. Even worse, to my mind, is the clown who shoots an animal at 1500 yards or more with a .50cal BMG-something.

With a front-loader, anything taken over 150 yards is going to be problematical - most shots seem to be between 50 and 80 yards or so. YOU have to do some serious work stalking the animal and the chance of getting it all pear-shaped is high - even higher as you get out to more than a hundred yards or so.

So YOU have to take a chance based on your skill as a hunter, stalker, woodsman and shooter, not just your ability to hit a small target from ten football fields away.

Muzzleloading shooting is filled with a sense of respect for the game whose life you are taking.

Long-range shooting is filled with a sense of self-importance - 'look how good a shot I am'.

Just my $0.02

There's a used one at a LGS, it looks like an abomination. It's just a novelty for people who can't legally own a firearm in my opinion.
I think there is a value in the gun simply because it pushes legal and technical limits. Pushing the edge is usually how we get progress. To me, that's the biggest value of a gun like this (or "pistol braces")

It's because a modern rifle enables you to shoot at anything up to 1200 yards, according to the 'Nimrod's' on youtube. To me that's not what hunting is about. Even worse, to my mind, is the clown who shoots an animal at 1500 yards or more with a .50cal BMG-something.

With a front-loader, anything taken over 150 yards is going to be problematical - most shots seem to be between 50 and 80 yards or so. YOU have to do some serious work stalking the animal and the chance of getting it all pear-shaped is high - even higher as you get out to more than a hundred yards or so.

So YOU have to take a chance based on your skill as a hunter, stalker, woodsman and shooter, not just your ability to hit a small target from ten football fields away.

Muzzleloading shooting is filled with a sense of respect for the game whose life you are taking.

Long-range shooting is filled with a sense of self-importance - 'look how good a shot I am'.

Just my $0.02
And that is exactly the kind of attitude that is irritating. A healthy dose of romanticism combined with a willful handicapping using obsolete technology, all in the interests of promoting an idealized view of hunting, which probably sells well to the kinds of urban non gun owners who infest government regulatory bodies, all combine to give "real" hunters all sorts of special treatment. That then spills over to what a "real" muzzleloader should be, and it basically boils down to promoting an aesthetic and romantic ideals.

All of which are well and good, and even fantastic. I just don't think it worthy of special treatment, and I think it's a shame there is a carefully cultivated divide. In fact, that's the main reason I rarely take my muzzleloaders out and never hunt with them. The cultural baggage that is attached to them these days is weird.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top