JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was digging through my rimfire ammo stash, and stumbled across something I forgot I had. It's a 175th Anniversary commemorative tin with 325 rds. of high velocity .22 LR in it. Nice looking collector's tin, Remington green, of course, and is also in the original box. BTW, their 175th anniversary was in 1991, so this has been kicking around for awhile. Ammo looks to be in good shape, though, they included a piece of foam rubber in the tin to protect it. Anyone know if this is worth anything? Or any Remington memorabilia collector that would be interested is such a thing? Coupe of pics, just in case anyone is interested. Later.

IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0485.JPG

I'd like to be one. But the field is just too vast, I'd never get any feeling of accomplishment or completion. I've kept various odd-ball cartridges over the years but I don't pretend at collecting them.

For many years, I've been aware of the annual cartridge collector's meeting down in Castle Rock, Wash., which is a pretty fur piece for me to drive. But two years back, I resolved to make the trip just that once to see what it was like. What I found when I arrived at the school grounds cafeteria, was a room full of people and cartridges, it was great. I didn't buy any collector rounds but found some bargains on surplus USGI ammo in .30-06 and .45 ACP. I also got a can of obsolete 4756 pistol powder.

My visit to Castle Rock completely reinforced my already held ideas that this field of collecting was too much for me. There were two guys there each of whom had dozens and dozens of 5.56mm experimental rounds. Just 5.56mm. Not to mention hundreds of others. Many of those were five bucks apiece.

This past weekend, I ran into a couple of the Castle Rock crew at the WAC show in Puyallup. One guy had what was purported to be some Austrian 8x56Rmm cartridges. But they didn't have the spitzer bullet which was exclusive to the 8x56R and used a .329 bullet. The ones offered for sale had a long, round nose bullet of .320 and the case looked kinda like it had been reworked on the mouth and neck. But the case was still approx. 56mm long. I think what somebody had tried to do was rework 8x56R into something that would work in a rifle chambered for 8x50R, which did use a .321 bullet that rode the rifling and had an obturating base. I don't see how these would've chambered in an 8x50R.

Anyway, I've wondered how a small town such as Castle Rock would be the center of concentration for a group of cartridge collectors. I only wish such a phenomenon had occurred somewhere up closer to where I live.

I'm sure it has some collector value. My oldest son started collecting old ammo boxes and I have been buying some for him when I find someting interesting.i try to keep it down to $5 maybe $10 unless it has original ammo in it.
Ebay might be the place to sell it if they let you sell.old collector ammo.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top