JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Agree with everything you said.

So what needs to happen for things to change?

How do we re-gain sanity?
Me, spend as much time with my 2 children and my wife. We plan to go out of the apartment more often, as in day trips, even overnight camping, in May, not just out to the playground though that helps a lot.

:s0140:

I dunno - Lizzo in bikini butt floss might be a horror show.
Good, bad, horrifying... it doesn't matter :s0140: well, until it causes everyone to get violently sick at the sight :eek:

I wouldn't go walking after dark where I live. It doesn't really seem more dangerous, that I know of. Thought....(Why Tempt Fate).
Criminals of all crimes get released to roam the streets EVERY DAY. FOR THREE YEARS! Good enough to keep me in.
Yeah, and I would guess that's why you don't see most people walking public streets anymore..with the exception of homeless, especially at night.

People are afraid to go out..especially at night..or at least think it's not worth the risk.

I'm not going to shut myself in anymore. Having long dealt with ptsd and mild depression, I know that being a cave dweller does more harm. I'm not afraid of people out there doing me harm. I am afraid of what I'll do to someone who trys to do me harm though. I wouldn't want to put my family in that situation.

So,it's a conundrum. I have a male dog that needs to walk three times a day..and one of those is at night. I'm not gonna keep him locked in.

All that said, I'll admit the d-bags shouting, rolling coal and throwing sirens does really piss me off. Takes me an hour or two to let it go.

There's a LOT of anger and hate out there. I don't get out much, as far as mingling with crowds, shopping etc, but I do frequently walk my dog. In just the past month there's been three instances where a passing car has either screamed something at me, blared a loud siren, or..like last night, rolled coal from a d-bag bro dozer.

Think about that..I'm just walking down the road. A middle age white guy, wearing a flannel, with a small dog on a leash..and strangers have done that. I don't look odd, don't stare people down, just doing my thing walking down the sidewalk.

WTF is going on? What's the passive-aggressiveness all about? Why are so many people angry, and not to mention cowardly? Not like I can chase them down and confront them.

I've never seen this level of anger 'out there' in my life.
It's gotten to the point where I'm leery about going anywhere on Hwy. 16 or some areas around Tacoma or even Gig Harbor. Road rage is so common that I expect it every day, and when I drive my wife's soccer-mom SUV, it's like a magnet for aggressive drivers. But incivility goes beyond the internet, store parking lots are like a minefield these days and crowded public places are out of control. I was in the bar area of a nice restaurant recently (I don't hang out in bars, but we were waiting on a table), busy Friday night, walking to the restroom, drunk dude half my age backed up into me, then turned around and squared off on me. I was like, WTF, dude?

As you note on this thread, and we talked about on another, it's almost like we take our life in our hands just walking the dog on a public road...

I will say, speaking as an older white male, it often seems like a lot of anger is directed at me in public (and certain types of internet discussion) because I'm old (and sometimes because I'm white). Probably the only thing I will admit to being too sensitive about.

My generation probably jokes too much about millenials, GenZ and GenX, but then it feels like there's genuine anger directed toward us baby boomers (and not just because some people over 70 don't drive the way you want them to) in public and on the internet.

1714583949755.png

1714583902565.png

1714583923090.png

Aloha, Mark

it often seems like a lot of anger is directed at me in public (and certain types of internet discussion) because I'm old (and sometimes because I'm white)
You're not imagining that.

As a gen-x'r, the only time I remember us being disrespectful towards middle age or seniors was if they were the ones being disrespectful to us first..as in the 'get off my lawn' types. Some older people were just cranky and pissed at life. But they were few and far between. We, as kids, weren't out to do them harm, insult or otherwise degrade them.

There wasn't the generational hate or divide between us back then.

Now it seems like some dystopian Logans Run style mass insanity. Hell..I bet many gen z and millennials actually wanted covid to take out seniors.

The very few people that really pizz me off have been put on the ignore list. Once there they are out of sight and out of mind. [ much better for my blood pressure]. The few people that I have ignored are the ones that flame out in just a short time anyway. I don't think any that I have ignored have stayed more than a couple months. DR

I have observed a lot more angry customers slamming the door open on the way out because we didn't want their stuff. Lots more honking on the highway out front of the shop. More rant threads here on the forum. College kids anger level with the Jews is out of sight high. People tailgating at 80 plus is common. Parents murdering kids in fits of rage, etc etc, etc. Some lady came walking by my primary job, cussing up a storm again the other night. She is a frequent flyer,. A guy went on a hammer attack at Wilsonville Safeway the other day. ATF is mad at us, we are mad at them..
All of that isn't jack-sheite…. If only you could see and hear the stuff in my mind that I keep to myself!

:s0001:

I will say, speaking as an older white male, it often seems like a lot of anger is directed at me in public (and certain types of internet discussion) because I'm old (and sometimes because I'm white). Probably the only thing I will admit to being too sensitive about.

My generation probably jokes too much about millenials, GenZ and GenX, but then it feels like there's genuine anger directed toward us baby boomers (and not just because some people over 70 don't drive the way you want them to) in public and on the internet.
As a Gen-Xer myself, I'd much prefer wisdom over knowledge any day. I'd sit at your feet to just learn as the ancients did for millennia. This present society may not respect age, but we do. You are in the Sage King stage of life where influence over your kingdom is your superpower. By our being present in this forum and interacting with you, we are a part of your kingdom, and thus your influence.

Maybe if we could get back to doing things the old way, listening and respecting our elders, learning from them, we could collectively calm down and some semblance of civility would result.

Carry on, we're listening...and learning.

Last Edited:
Ever just kick a hornets nest just so you can get the bug spray out and knock em out of the air?
Sometimes people don't have anger problems, they just like to see chaos and watch it swirl around. Even in chaos there is order.

Sometimes you just have to watch something burn so you have a reason to roast marshmallows and hot dogs.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top