JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BEND, Ore. – Gun owners are much more receptive to suicide-prevention messages tailored to respect their rights as firearms enthusiasts than they are to messages that use language that aims to be culturally neutral, a study published last week suggests.

The research at Oregon State University-Cascades is significant because more than half of the roughly 40,000 people in the United States who take their own lives every year do so with a gun.

Past research shows that the vast majority of people with "suicidal ideation" – thoughts of killing themselves – will live meaningful, productive lives if they get past the rough patch that caused them to think about suicide.

But only 5 percent of people who attempt suicide via firearm survive; hence the need for messaging that's effective in helping friends and family members hold onto guns while their loved ones are experiencing suicidal ideation.

The researchers conducted interviews in 2015 with 39 adult gun owners from rural communities in central Oregon. The goal was to understand the culture of gun ownership and learn about acceptable, non-threatening methods of improving firearm safety that respect the rights of gun owners while also helping suicidal patients stay safe.

Among gun owners, culturally tailored suicide prevention messages work best | News and Research Communications | Oregon State University

Problem with suicide prevention efforts... many suicide attempts are more of an attempt to be "noticed" by or to control somebody. The current crop of snowflakes are going to push the suicide prevention button in increasing numbers as they become weaned from the family/societal teat, and resort to the adult version of "I'll hold my breath and turn blue, then you'll be sorry".

Suicide attempts by methods that can be "undone" like overdoses or being "talked down" by a first responder, often fit this mold. They are often preceded by a call to the person they want to "teach a lesson" to.

"One and done" suicide is quite a different matter. Leaping into the path of a train, a shotgun in the mouth and a trigger pulled, isn't generally done because of a desire to be stopped and counseled.

It is admittedly a generalization with overlap, grey areas, and screwed-up intensions making it even murkier. Drawing societal conclusions based on 39 interviews is done more to fit an agenda than to shine a light.

"But only 5 percent of people who attempt suicide via firearm survive; hence the need for messaging that's effective in helping friends and family members hold onto guns while their loved ones are experiencing suicidal ideation."

Just not in Oregon

OSU said:
The researchers conducted interviews in 2015 with 39 adult gun owners from rural communities in central Oregon. The goal was to understand the culture of gun ownership and learn about acceptable, non-threatening methods of improving firearm safety that respect the rights of gun owners while also helping suicidal patients stay safe.

The interviews led to a one-page suicide prevention message that encouraged restricting firearm access.....

This looks to me like they are just trying to figure ways to get us to turn on each other.
This has nothing to do with "firearm safety", it's just the current catchphrase that the anti's to use to try to win over the masses, while infringing upon our rights, hence the "encouraged restriction [of] firearm access".

On a side not, this "study" seems conveniently timed. Almost like it's trying to justify Oregon's new gun confiscation bill. It makes a person wonder, did Boquist ask sugar daddy Bloomberg, to buy this "study", so he can say "see, I told you so...... This study back me up" and to try reduce the backlash he has been feeling?

Lapdog-1.jpg

Ray

I suspect the suicides by gun are simply more committed than those choosing other means.
I also believe it should be perfectly legal, by whatever means - so long as it doesn't harm others in the act.

A couple in Manhattan jumped off a building together recently. Kind of hard (for most people) to get guns in NYC so people will always find another way if they are determined. Just like when places like Great Britain, Australia, etc clamp down on guns, hammers, ropes, screw drivers and blunt objects rapidly take the gun's place. Guns are the left's favorite boogeyman.

My oldest son hung himself. He was 19 at the time and had just been dumped by the girl he thought was the love of his life and he intended to marry. He was a great kid and simply did not have the life experience to understand that how he felt at that moment would pass. I found him, had to deal with the aftermath of that.

I really believe that if someone would have been there when it all happened that he would still be alive today so I can understand the "protect them while they are vulnerable" He also owned an AR15, he chose to hang himself. Honestly I am thankful for that. As bad as it was to hold my sons cold corpse it would have been worse to find him splattered all over my shop.

Suicide is a real problem, it is single largest cause of death for the 15-24 age group. I think kids today are more susceptible than my generation and older. He would be 26 now, no longer a kid. Id trade places with him in a second to give him a second shot.

I've known 5 people that committed suicide, one was my best friend, one, my wife's uncle. Only one (my wife's uncles) used a gun. The other 4 used rope, drugs and carbon monoxide. People that are intent on ending their lives will find a way. As a society we seem to be woefully ill equipped to address the issue of suicide. Fact is, banning certain weapons or tools simply won't stop suicide from happening. They will find a way, and there are many ways to choose from.

The hard thing with suicide is often folks have no idea that folks are suicidal up to the moment they attempt it. Far too few show symptoms beforehand. These politicians are focusing on the wrong things, they are using personal tragedies to advance a gun control agenda - which really makes me wonder if they really care about trying to prevent suicide.

My oldest son hung himself. He was 19 at the time and had just been dumped by the girl he thought was the love of his life and he intended to marry. He was a great kid and simply did not have the life experience to understand that how he felt at that moment would pass. I found him, had to deal with the aftermath of that.

I really believe that if someone would have been there when it all happened that he would still be alive today so I can understand the "protect them while they are vulnerable" He also owned an AR15, he chose to hang himself. Honestly I am thankful for that. As bad as it was to hold my sons cold corpse it would have been worse to find him splattered all over my shop.

Suicide is a real problem, it is single largest cause of death for the 15-24 age group. I think kids today are more susceptible than my generation and older. He would be 26 now, no longer a kid. Id trade places with him in a second to give him a second shot.

Really sorry to hear that :( - I'd give your post a 'like', but it doesn't seem appropriate considering the subject matter.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews