JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Limit 5

Single bag 5 cents/oz or 6 cents/oz if you don't subscribe to future deliveries.
Two bag 6 cents/oz

I ordered the two pack because I get 15# total with the 5 item limit instead of 7.5# total

When it arrives I will put most of it in a vacuum packed mylar bag and that into a bucket.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service

Limit 5

Single bag 5 cents/oz or 6 cents/oz if you don't subscribe to future deliveries.
Two bag 6 cents/oz

I ordered the two pack because I get 15# total with the 5 item limit instead of 7.5# total

When it arrives I will put most of it in a vacuum packed mylar bag and that into a bucket.
Thats a good deal!
Whats the shelf life on this with your storage method? How does one use this; ground into flour or soaked and eaten as is?

Thats a good deal!
Whats the shelf life on this with your storage method? How does one use this; ground into flour or soaked and eaten as is?
Both, IIRC.

Doesn't REQUIRE ground into flour.

Edit: Curious, had to look into. It's kinda / sorta like the par-boil rice version for wheat. Except is just about "ready to eat" ie, slight soak/cold cereal on up to hot cereal/baked goods etc.

Last Edited:
Thats a good deal!
I believe it can be eaten as is, or cooked, or ground up (I have eaten whole wheat right from the field - my father used to plant/harvest it on his farm).

Look up recipes. I have eaten some dishes with bulgur wheat in them.

Personally I have not stored it yet, but I see no reason why bulgur wheat should not store just fine.

Now that ain't too shabby! Good share! 👍

Yeah. It can be eaten as is, but I prefer it cooked and as additive to supplement beef/proteins in dishes, meatballs/loaf and such... and as a good binder.

You can store it like rice, but it's not as processed so shelf life is more like brown rice than white. Pretty stable shtuff.. and actually... has more nutrition than white rice. (That was a little painful to admit....)🤣

Now that ain't too shabby! Good share! 👍

Yeah. It can be eaten as is, but I prefer it cooked and as additive to supplement beef/proteins in dishes, meatballs/loaf and such... and as a good binder.

You can store it like rice, but it's not as processed so shelf life is more like brown rice than white. Pretty stable shtuff.. and actually... has more nutrition than white rice. (That was a little painful to admit....)🤣
The Amazon page states it is parboiled (IIRC), so it should last longer and cook faster. I've had decent luck with brown rice - never had it go rancid, even after some years in a jar on my shelf.

The Amazon page states it is parboiled (IIRC), so it should last longer and cook faster. I've had decent luck with brown rice - never had it go rancid, even after some years in a jar on my shelf.
I'm no expert in extreme long storage. We keep 1-2yrs worth, but we don't store anything we don't eat and it's constantly rotated. Some stuff does go well beyond due to diet changes though, and the kids getting older and leaving home, but not more than 4-5yrs.

I have a guide I trust and depending on how it's stored, I know white rice can go 20+ (and I've sampled extreme storage items before. 20 and 30yr old rice, wheat, legumes, etc), but ours never get's close to the "extremes".

Bulgar wheat it says to store like brown which can go 5yrs (or 10yrs vacuum packed) and cites "oil in the bran layers", but it also says bulgar wheat stores 2-3 years with no entry for vacuum packed, but it makes sense that if they are similar then Bulgar could be extended by vacuum packing as well... doesn't it(?). Looking at our food sheets... the longest I've had bulgar wheat on the shelf was about 14 months and it was perfectly fine! I have no doubt it coulda sat up there a whole lot longer.

Types and processing do matter, but it doesn't say much about parboiled bulgur wheat other than the moisture content is lowered after parboiling from 45% to 10%. That's about what white rice is so I doubt the parboiling has anything to do with shortening the shelf life.

I have plastic cylinder bottles - 1-2 gallon - that I buy at the dollar store.

Those have my rice, Farina, oatmeal, lentils, etc. that I use day to day. Stored in my pantry.

The bulk items, get stored mostly in vacuum packed mylar in a bucket. Some are already vacuum packed. Most of those that are a grain or legume or flour, get put in the freezer for weeks, then put in the bucket. So far so good.

The only problem I have had - besides some canned foods - have been some foods from my pantry that somehow had been exposed to insects (mostly stuff I bought from a bulk bin at Winco) and beans in a sack that got so dry that they would not rehydrate, much less sprout (no matter how long I tried - which is okay, I don't like those beans anyway - I prefer lentils and split peas).

(mostly stuff I bought from a bulk bin at Winco)
YES! A lot of bulk bin stuff can be nasty and seems more for immediate consumption than storage.

When I was young and poor I used to buy rice from bulk bins and was always shocked at the amount of debris and "creatures" that would appear in pretty short order. Not to mention, pretty much flavor and texturless.

This is coming from a person that.. when I was younger and my family poorer in Japan... it wasn't uncommon to eat what is known as "dog rice". That's the broken and crap rice that falls through the screens during processing. Then shoveled off the floors and lightly sifted before packing it in bags for purchase. Often containing live weevils and small pebbles.

Called "dog rice" because there is no "dog food" like there is in some countries. Your pets eat what you eat and are the "garbage disposal" for veg and fruit trimmings, skins, leftovers and such... boiled and mixed in with "dog rice". Nutritionally and flavor wise, very good, but not very appealing and chomping a pebble always sucks. 🤣

Bugs... freezing can kill most of that, but not very practical in quantity, rinsing... a lot floats to the surface to pour off and the cooking process ensures it's safe to consume, but... aside from the impurities and crawlies you have to consider those bins are constantly being opened, the moisture content increasing and all those dirty hands, germs and who knows what shaking off other peoples clothes into them.... I would consider bulk bin grains wholly unsuitable for any type of long term storage to sit and let who knows what fester.

YMMV and sounds like you've got a great regime going. I don't do much individual vacuum sealing, myself, but I'm really only targeting for a 1-2yr or 4yr shelf life. Dark food grade airtight bins/buckets and some with vacuum valves to purge an entire barrel at once.

This is coming from a person that.. when I was younger and my family poorer in Japan... it wasn't uncommon to eat what is known as "dog rice". That's the broken and crap rice that falls through the screens during processing. Then shoveled off the floors and lightly sifted before packing it in bags for purchase. Often containing live weevils and small pebbles.
When I think of those situations, I think of the movies I have seen where Asian peoples, and once Native Americans (War Wagon - J Wayne movie) were picking up rice or flour from the ground.

Called "dog rice" because there is no "dog food" like there is in some countries. Your pets eat what you eat and are the "garbage disposal" for veg and fruit trimmings, skins, leftovers and such... boiled and mixed in with "dog rice". Nutritionally and flavor wise, very good, but not very appealing and chomping a pebble always sucks. 🤣
I often fed the cows/etc. left over veg scraps and zucchini/squash/etc. that had gotten too large or was otherwise not palatable for our dinner table. I was told to watch that no one animal ate too much or too fast lest they get bloat. They all loved it.

Pets sometimes got scraps too - usually meat.

What guide do you use? Always on the lookout for good resources here.
It's not a regular publication you can buy. It's a food storage/preservation/canning/recipe self printed guidebook that was put together as a collective effort. Compiled from input of a Church organizations regional membership (LDS) over the decades and only distributed among members that live in that area. I get occasional updated page packets and additions forwarded from a once "family member" that lives in that area.

I'll say one thing. They have a long history, a wealth of working knowledge and pretty good at that sort of stuff.

I've never really looked if they put out some kind of churchwide/publicly available publications, but I wouldn't doubt it. Just my opinion, but a group of folks that have been actually doing it, at least since the U.S. was founded, in such a large scale... probably have a pretty idea what they're doing(?)

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but such as it is. I believe in taking advantage of the best resources available on the subject.

It's not a regular publication you can buy. It's a food storage/preservation/canning/recipe self printed guidebook that was put together as a collective effort. Compiled from input of a Church organizations regional membership (LDS) over the decades and only distributed among members that live in that area. I get occasional updated page packets and additions forwarded from a once "family member" that lives in that area.

I'll say one thing. They have a long history, a wealth of working knowledge and pretty good at that sort of stuff.

I've never really looked if they put out some kind of churchwide/publicly available publications, but I wouldn't doubt it. Just my opinion, but a group of folks that have been actually doing it, at least since the U.S. was founded, in such a large scale... probably have a pretty idea what they're doing(?)

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but such as it is. I believe in taking advantage of the best resources available on the subject.
Thanks. I go to the local LDS cannery for supplies occasionally, but I'm not affiliated with the church in any way.

The wheat came today. The Amazon box was starting to fall apart from 10 bags flailing about in the box. One of the bags had a slight rip in it and a little bit of the wheat fell out - typical of Amazon and the Iberia brand; the plastic bags are those flimsy brittle type of plastic not really up to shipping. I was lucky, only a little bit leaked out - I put that bag in a different container for my pantry for daily use. The other bags that are intact I will put in a vacuum sealed mylar bag.

I will try some with my oatmeal/farina mix tomorrow for breakfast.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top