JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Six weeks for a recoil pad ( hour and a half tops) is not cool!!
And a semi shotgun that isn't cycling properly!! Gravy work!!

Needs to be a few more decent smiths around ;)

That's exactly what I thought. I called at the 2 week mark and they forgot to order the pad and didn't even look at the other one. I went in a week or so ago to check and my guns made it as far as the work order landing on his work bench. I guess they don't swap work because the same guy who took them in is the same guy that was going to do the work. If he is gone, like he has been for the last few weeks, the work stops. Sigh. I'll give him to the end of the week, after that I'm going to go get them back. Enough is enough.

A gunsmith cannot win. If he answers his phone all day long with people just price-checking an action job on a Taurus or trigger job on a Mossberg, he's not at his lathe making money and people bellyache because he's behind on his jobs. If he ignores the phone or doesn't devote a lot of time with folks who are BS'ing at the counter with no intention of hiring him, then he's accused of poor customer service. So he's gotta try balancing the two. Seldom will both sides be happy.

I've known these guys for many years and I've used their services. I will continue to do so. I know some jobs will take longer than estimated, and I know some jobs will be finished quicker than estimated. It's the nature of the beast. Try getting an action-job from some of the big name gunsmiths. You could be waiting a year to see your gun again.

WAYNO.

I thought the older guy was there to help with counter walk ins and phone answering.

If that's now the case, I don't know. Used to be, they would all be working on guns and take turns dealing with customers. There was also a gal that mostly dealt with counter sales and invoices.

I first used their services, and/or bought guns from them in the mid-seventies when they were still on Powell Blvd., South of Kelley Butte. I used to spend a fair amount of time there, and I know when I was younger and freshly out of the Army, I used up a lot of their time as they shared a goodly amount of knowledge with me. Now that there's precious few gunsmiths in the area, I know that their time is more precious than ever.

And as far as the old guy...I guess I don't really know which one you're talking about. When they were on Powell, there were the original two gunsmiths. One retired or otherwise left, and Brian joined them. There was also a younger gunsmith that I really did not know. So now, the old guy you're talking about might be Brian. I just don't consider him old.;) You've caused me to plan a special trip there, just to visit them. They were all a big part of my firearms upbringing.

And if you're referring to Brian, just for historical value, he originally worked for Allied Sav-Mor Sporting Goods in Portland when they were big. Later, he took over one of their stores and put his own name on the sign, Brian's Sporting Goods. If you're old enough to remember, that store was on 82nd and Woodstock. Those are the good old days.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Every time I've walked in there, I always felt that to get any personal interaction with the owners/gunsmiths, you needed to be part of a private membership club.
I was in there just a couple of weeks ago and the smaller stature gunsmith just laughed in my face when I asked him about an original 1944 M1 Garand that hadn't been through an arsenal rebuild.
He said it wasn't worth more then $600.00 and only a fool would pay more.
The next week it sold on this site for $1,200.00.

Every time I've walked in there, I always felt that to get any personal interaction with the owners/gunsmiths, you needed to be part of a private membership club.

That's funny, that's exactly how I felt when I've gone in there on and off over the years, especially the last time when I went to check on my guns.

There is a member here that works as a machinist by day and gunsmiths at home evenings & weekends.
I recently had some work done by him and was more then pleased by his work.
The best part besides his shop rates, was being allowed to watch and learn from him while he worked on my project in his shop.

There is a member here that works as a machinist by day and gunsmiths at home evenings & weekends.
I recently had some work done by him and was more then pleased by his work.
The best part besides his shop rates, was being allowed to watch and learn from him while he worked on my project in his shop.
Oh that's cool. I'd like to watch and learn.

It's official, I got my guns picked up today. I called yesterday to inquire what was going on with them and nothing was done with them yet. After being hung up on I called them back and told them they would be picked up today. I sent my wife down to grab them and they sold her the pad they "ordered special" just for my gun to the tune of $45, which incidentally was the same exact pad they showed me 6 weeks ago which they couldn't use because it was too big. Sigh. I'm far from being a happy camper. Yea, it's safe to say I'm not going back.

I'm happy with them. When I had my 700 trigger recall done (I live south of albany) they set me a time on sat to drop it off then worked on it right away so I had to spend as little time in that crap of a town. Very pleased to do business with them again

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.