JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If any of you get inspired by the Olympics to try air pistol shooting, I'll offer some info. You can spend around $50 for a pistol that will be accurate enough, or up to around $2K for an Olympic level pistol. The current trend among competitors are pre-charged pneumatics [PCP] which use a pressurized canister for power. Decades ago the spendy match pistols were spring-piston powered with complex recoil-canceling mechanisms. They were quite large and heavy handfuls which were challenging to shoot well. The evolution from that era were single-pump pneumatics [SSP's] which were smaller, lighter, and recoilless without the mechanical complexity. There are some very nice shooting SSP pistols in production today for much less money than the lofty PCPs.

Just like firearms, what you get by spending more are better triggers, grip and sights, performance consistency, and nicer build fit and finish. With 22lr pistols, an affordable Ruger or Buckmark can shoot groups in the 10-ring just like a spendy Benelli, Pardini, or Walther if the guy pulling the trigger is dialed. It's the same with airguns. Below are some SSP air pistol options for basement Olympics, club league competitions, or consistently knocking beer cans off of fence posts. Unlike PCPs which require expensive supporting paraphernalia to charge them, the only addition needed to shoot an SSP is a tin of pellets.

Btw, air pistol competitions are shot offhand from 10-meters [33 feet] at a 3 3/8" bullseye with a 10-ring measuring about 1/2" in diameter. Most of us mortals become friends with the 1 1/8" 9-ring.

In order of price, all have adjustable sights:

Beeman P-17 -- a Chinese clone of the Beeman P3, aka the HW40 made by Weihrauch in Germany. Not a bad shooter for $40. The guts vary a little in manufacturing quality from the P-3.

Avanti 717 -- accurate enough but the balance is not spectacular making it difficult to hold steady. I list it because of the price point, but friends don't let friends buy this one [the P-17 has a better trigger]. $160

Beeman P-3 -- similar grip mass and feel as a centerfire pistol, lightweight, high bore axis and sight line, surprisingly good trigger, capable of 10's if you cooperate. This is likely the best all-around fun gun, and very good for keeping you dialed when you can't go to the range with your firearms. $240

IZH-46M -- Miles ahead of everything previously mentioned in design/function, build quality, and ease of operation; this is a true competition air pistol. All metal construction, extremely durable, adjustable sight and trigger, and adjustable grip. This pistol is so popular that Rink makes custom match grips for it. You don't need to be a master to shoot lots of 10's with a 46. The absolute best buy on the market. $480

FAS-604 -- This pistol has been around since the 80's and is [IMO] what influenced the manufacture of the successful P3. By comparison, the P3 is a toy, though. The 604 is all metal and everything that the IZH-46 is, but in a smaller package with a size similar to a Buckmark or .45 centerfire. Like the IZH, it costs a fraction of the $2K match pistols but will hold it's own in competitions with them. You can buy a 604 with ambidextrous or adjustable grip for $795~$895.

Just for comparison, here's a state-of-the-art Steyr for $2425 that will likely be seen at the Olympics.

Sources:
Air Guns and Airsoft Guns | Air Rifles, Air Pistols, BB Guns and Pellet Guns
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Avanti 717
Daisy-Avanti-717_DY-717_lg.jpg

Beeman P-17 and P-3
Beeman-P3-BN-2360-air-pistol.jpg

IZH-46m
IZH-46M-Match-Pistol_IZH46M_pistol_lg.jpg

FAS-604
fas604pair.jpg

Beeman-P17_BN-2004_pistol_lg.jpg

Daisy-Avanti-717_DY-717_lg.jpg

Beeman-P3-BN-2360-air-pistol.jpg

IZH-46M-Match-Pistol_IZH46M_pistol_lg.jpg

fas604pair.jpg

IZH-46M -- Miles ahead of everything previously mentioned in design/function, build quality, and ease of operation; this is a true competition air pistol. All metal construction, extremely durable, adjustable sight and trigger, and adjustable grip. This pistol is so popular that Rink makes custom match grips for it. You don't need to be a master to shoot lots of 10's with a 46. The absolute best buy on the market. $480

I agree with this 100%. It's a wonderful pistol, especially considering you don't need air canisters for it.

I have small collection of air pistols from Walther LP3 and LP53, FAS604 [left and right hand Morini grips] up to my present competition pistol, a Steyr LP10 and it's five-shot cousin, the older LP5.

I use the FAS604 to teach disabled people to shoot - here in UK it is a firm favourite with the pony club scene, too, and is, IMO the ONLY air pistol ever produced that EXACTLY mimics the feel of a real firearm. Back in the days I had the .22 and the .32 version as a set.

tac

i had quite a few air pistols. not much a fan of co2 or PCP, i like it simple. single-stroke is the best IMO.
HW45_airpistol_march2022a.jpg

i stopped buying the crap 50-dollar alternatives. They just don't seem to last nearly as long. Buy premium and cry only once.
_DSC0004.JPG

(same with rifles)
daisyavanti753s_jan2021a.jpg

tac,
I'm surprised you didn't mention your Walther CP-88. :s0093:

Mine is even more accurate since I've added the extended barrel. Just sorry
I couldn't find an extension in blue to match match my gun. :(

tac,
I'm surprised you didn't mention your Walther CP-88. :s0093:

Mine is even more accurate since I've added the extended barrel. Just sorry
I couldn't find an extension in blue to match match my gun. :(
What's to mention? It's a Walther CP88 in satin-finish nickel with the extended barrel and weights and walnut grips. I got the whole package, including the Walther Red Dot sight [excellent, BTW], for about 10% more than the basic pistol, so I couldn't refuse.

At the time they came out, they, and ALL CO2-powered pistols, were classed as firearms, just like any cartridge-firing piece. Then all of a sudden, they were free to anybody over 18. Why? Nobody knows. I bought mine in the back end of 1996, and the following year all the REAL ones were banned in the wake of the Dunblane mass-murder. On Mainland GB, that is.

I realize this is a old thread.

But you could get one of these.

Daisy 717

Caliber.177
Velocity360 fps * actually 380-390
Single pump pneumatic
Ammo TypePellets
ActionBolt-action
Barrel Rifled
Single-shot
Gun Weight2.25
Overall Length13.50

This pistol proves you don't need a pedigreed barrel for accuracy.

All three models are identical as far as the action is concerned. The 717 is the base model. The 747 has a Lothar Walther barrel. The 777 was discontinued a few years ago, having Lothar Walther barrel, wooden grips and adjustable metal sights. The 722 also the same as the 717 except in .22 cal.

These guns are very accurate, very quiet and a joy to shoot. In my opinion a great choice for someone wanting to try 10 meter competition.

Daisy 717 was released in 1979 and initially thought to be something of a toy. Until it started winning target competitions (against FWB 65's and such like pistols) and one renowned shooter (Don Nygord) championed this pistol. Nygord recommended two mods: an adjustable trigger and uprated rear sights. The trigger is altered via a screw you have to drill and tap into the grip frame yourself which alters the contact point with the sear, allowing the trigger to be set far lighter than the 2lbs standard. 500 grams was achieved.

Today I shoot it from 25 feet off hand

This is really interesting. I have been looking at getting an air pistol for plinking in the backyard.
Here's one on Ebay. Its about what you would expect to pay.

Last Edited:
This is really interesting. I have been looking at getting an air pistol for plinking in the backyard.
i'm not a fan of vintage used gear (or multi-pumpers). i want to shoot the gun, not repair it (or wear myself out trying). :)
here's a less expensive (and new) option.
#AD https://amzn.to/3zHDqmN
(no co2 required, single-strole "break-barrel" pistol. there's a "Browning" that's about the same.

here's one of the most fun co2 pistols i've owned (of dozens). it's (mostly) a revolver, accurate and lots of shots per co2.

but if you're semi-auto only, be sure to get "blow back".
although not as accurate, i prefer BB vs Pellet with those. pellet feeding semi auto pistols seem fraught with problems in every model i've used.
BBs ricochet, so wear eye protection!

anyway, best BB blow-back I've owned:

single-shot ninja, worth getting the rifle kit, best of both worlds:

i think all those are under $100 new.

if you want to get one of the best (new still in production) air pistol, under $300:

Or one of the 2xxx series Crosman single-shot pistols.

Around $500 ya get some good Weihrauch class.

next up would be PCPs, a whole different beast. require much more than the gun to operate:

/exit sermon

#pdxfrank

pistolspart001nov2021a.jpg

The only pistol you mentioned that even comes close to the accuracy of the Daisy 717 is the P3. I also own one of them. The Daisy 717 shoots circles around a P3.

Air pistols are very simple to repair. And some of the very best are the older ones.
Daisy 717 series
Crosman 600
S&W 78 and 79G
Crosman Mark 1 and 2
Crosman 38T and C
Diania 5 and 6
Just to name a few.
Once one is fixed properly they will outlast 95% of the new crap on the market.

Last Edited:
it may be 1/2" more accurate at 25-feet, but none of the ones i listed 'cept the p3 is over $100.

dianachaser_21june2021b.jpg

me, i wouldn't spend $300+ on any air pistol if i'm not competing. :)

I have recent experience with Crosman and Daisy. What I can say is that Daisy's customer service is far superior to Crosman's. I had a slide operated Crosman spring-air which was out of warranty and needed a single part (still does). After lots of back and forth, they finally suggested that I contact the manufacturer in Taiwan! Yeah.

Also have Daisy 415 and 426. The 415 (a year out of warranty) developed a leak. Called Daisy and they comped me 3 new cartridge seals. Didn't fix it. Called back. After a brief conversation, the customer service lady said "We can still warranty that" and they sent me a return label. Packed it up and off it went.

Brand new 415 arrived last week. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads