JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In today's world with Bidenomics flourishing, we are always looking for ways to cut costs. I've cut cost crazy this year, and always looking to cut more costs.

One of them is my freaking 90 dollar a month haircut BS.

I like to keep a tight cut. 1 on top and a .5 on the side.

But paying 30 bucks almost weekly is getting ridiculous especially with such a seemingly easy cut.

Anyone else give themselves at home buzz cuts and is it hard? My wife said she can help but let's say worst case scenario I gotta do it by myself... do-able?

Seems to me it would be relatively easy. And with one haircut costing 30 dollars I could buy a set of trimmers on Amazon for the same price.

Is it super easy to buzz cut yourself at home?

I've been doing it for 20-ish years. Get some clippers and start cutting.

I bought some pro-grade Wahl clippers about 10+ years ago after my initial consumer ones crapped out. It was worth the investment, they cut much better and stay sharp longer.

I've been doing it for 20-ish years. Get some clippers and start cutting.

I bought some pro-grade Wahl clippers about 10+ years ago after my initial consumer ones crapped out. It was worth the investment, they cut much better and stay sharp longer.
Got a part number or a link to the specific ones? I'm a buy-once cry-once kinda guy so I'd rather get something pro grade

In today's world with Bidenomics flourishing, we are always looking for ways to cut costs. I've cut cost crazy this year, and always looking to cut more costs.

One of them is my freaking 90 dollar a month haircut BS.

I like to keep a tight cut. 1 on top and a .5 on the side.

But paying 30 bucks almost weekly is getting ridiculous especially with such a seemingly easy cut.

Anyone else give themselves at home buzz cuts and is it hard? My wife said she can help but let's say worst case scenario I gotta do it by myself... do-able?

Seems to me it would be relatively easy. And with one haircut costing 30 dollars I could buy a set of trimmers on Amazon for the same price.

Is it super easy to buzz cut yourself at home?

If it grows fast enough to need a cut a week what have you got to lose by trying? If it does not come out as good as you like wait a week and get a pro to do it again. Then try again. Could not be that hard to get that kind of cut down pat. Seems like $30 is steep for that kind of cut too. Place I go to price is like $12 but since I only go monthly or even little longer I just give her a $20.
Take the Wife with you to the next cut and have her watch how they do it? There has got to be video of it all over too. Seems there is a video for everything now.

If it grows fast enough to need a cut a week what have you got to lose by trying? If it does not come out as good as you like wait a week and get a pro to do it again. Then try again. Could not be that hard to get that kind of cut down pat. Seems like $30 is steep for that kind of cut too. Place I go to price is like $12 but since I only go monthly or even little longer I just give her a $20.
Take the Wife with you to the next cut and have her watch how they do it? There has got to be video of it all over too. Seems there is a video for everything now.
Man where do you live? I haven't seen a 12 dollar haircut in the longest. Mine is 24 and I give 30 total with tip.

When I was younger my haircuts were 10 or 12 bucks but I can't find anything around here under 20 dollars.

And yes it does grow quick. It's not like I "need" a cut once a week, but I PREFER it to be tight to my head. If I had my own cutters I'd be happy. I'd probably honestly buzz it every 4 or 5 days if I had the equipment myself and could do it without making it look like the blind retarded neighbor did it

It will take some practice to get good at it. I can get it done in about 5 minutes unless I let it grow too long, then it takes a couple passes.

The back of the head is the most diffiult. Just feel around and use your fingers to pinch for hair. Any spots you can grab, run the clippers over it.

Getting your hairline at your neck right will take some practice too. It's not difficult to feel though. Just takes practice.

I have a big scar in the back of my head that makes that area difficult because the hair grows in all directions around it. I just have to make sure I run the clippers in various directions to get it.

You'll get a feel for it. I could probably do it blindfolded if the clippers wouldn't cut off the blindfold.

It will take some practice to get good at it. I can get it done in about 5 minutes unless I let it grow too long, then it takes a couple passes.

The back of the head is the most diffiult. Just feel around and use your fingers to pinch for hair. Any spots you can grab, run the clippers over it.

Getting your hairline at your neck right will take some practice too. It's not difficult to feel though. Just takes practice.

I have a big scar in the back of my head that makes that area difficult because the hair grows in all directions around it. I just have to make sure I run the clippers in various directions to get it.

You'll get a feel for it. I could probably do it blindfolded if the clippers wouldn't cut off the blindfold.
Nice. See I feel like I could just get a set of clippers, put a .5 attachment on there and just buzz my whole head and be happy. The only hard part would be my neck line and around my ears.

Maybe I have the wife do that part lol

There's an attachment that blocks the center part of the blade, then has extended fingers on the sides for trimming around the ears.

I use a downward motion with the raw blade on the neckline, then clean it up with a razor in the shower.

My wife has been cutting my two sons' hair and mine for well over ten years. We wore out a cheap Walmart clipper set and got a prof grade set, was $$ but we save a ton too. My cut is similar to yours but mine's a little longer (giggity). I do a 3 on top and a 2 on the sides, same for the boys. That started way back in '99 for me when I got hired at Les Schwab, before they caved and let people look like anything as they do now. I'm at work watching a malfunction sewer pump station or I'd send a pic of what we have.

My wife has been cutting my two sons' hair and mine for well over ten years. We wore out a cheap Walmart clipper set and got a prof grade set, was $$ but we save a ton too. My cut is similar to yours but mine's a little longer (giggity). I do a 3 on top and a 2 on the sides, same for the boys. That started way back in '99 for me when I got hired at Les Schwab, before they caved and let people look like anything as they do now. I'm at work watching a malfunction sewer pump station or I'd send a pic of what we have.
Good to know. With baby being due in a month from yesterday I'd love to have my wife doing both me and my boys hair. 90ish bucks a month I can just spend 90 once on a nice prof grade set. Or more who knows either way

Practice makes perfect. When mine gets about 1/4 inch long I just take it all off with a $19 razor I bought at Fred Meyer around 20 years ago. I figure that works out to about $1 a year for hair cuts, not counting electricity.

Anyway:
Q: What is the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?
A: About 2 weeks. :s0140:

Man where do you live? I haven't seen a 12 dollar haircut in the longest. Mine is 24 and I give 30 total with tip.
Is there a beauty school in your area? When I was paying for haircuts I used to go to the local beauty school and the cosmetology students would cut your hair for $4.50. It's probably more expensive now, but not much, I would bet.

When I was younger my haircuts were 10 or 12 bucks but I can't find anything around here under 20 dollars.

And yes it does grow quick. It's not like I "need" a cut once a week, but I PREFER it to be tight to my head. If I had my own cutters I'd be happy. I'd probably honestly buzz it every 4 or 5 days if I had the equipment myself and could do it without making it look like the blind retarded neighbor did it
I would start with letting your Wife try. Seems like it would be easier for someone else to do it at first. Maybe right after a cut try going over it with your own clippers to get the "feel" of following what was done already? Or let the Wife try going over one just done so she can get the feel for it. The kind of cut you are doing can't be hard to learn for someone else. Price of a couple cuts would pay for a nice set of clippers.
I live close to one of the Military Joints here and see a LOT of shops with signs saying cuts for $10. There are places around here that are 3 or 4 times what my place charges but they are name brand "style" type joints. Not the kind of thing I need and certainly not what you are after.

I also have have a Wahl cutter and have been buzzing my head to near zero about every other week for the last 14 years. Like you, I got tired of paying someone to perform such a simple cut so often. You just gotta bite the bullet and start cutting. Good news is, with as short as you like it... If you mess up you're only a week or two away from getting a fresh start

I haven't paid for a haircut in 20+ years. Costco sells Walls Professional trimmers for under $50.00. I stand in the shower (no water obviously) and cut mine, saves clean up. I don't mess around with different lengths on the top and sides, #1 guide all over. I trim my neck with the bare trimmer blade, then with an electric razor.

Usually have my wife double check my neckline but very seldom needs touch up.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top