JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off, yeah, it's Reddit, but there are some seriously good, well articulated points mixed in with just enough off topic banter to keep it interesting.
JMHO but this would be a good one to bookmark and when someone wants to (or demands to :rolleyes: ) know why you feel the way you do about guns, send them this link and tell them to read through it and than you'll talk to them.

Last Edited:
One of my favorites

DeepState_Secretary
·6 hr. ago

Personally this is what makes certain talking points and ideas about what should be done about guns and police seem contradictory.
You can't both defund the police and then suppress gun ownership without any transition or backup plan to replace what either were supposed to do.
I've seen really stupid arguments to the effect of 'it's only just property' or 'it's only just a burglary why do you have to kill them.' but frankly it's absurd to ask people to roll the dice on whether or not the home invader isn't also going to rape them, injure them or beat them to death for the fun of it.

Having to hold crime victims accountable for the safety of their attackers is absurd regardless of whether or not the attacker was just bluffing.

Why do I support gun rights....many reasons.
It boils down to ....Because I can.

Nowhere in the 2nd Amendment does it say that you have to own Arms.
Own Arms or not as you so choose....Just don't make that choice for me or others.
Andy

Reddit : The infinitely multiplying shiny bubble for ADHD people.
blind-squirrel.jpg

There's 10min of my life I'll never get back. 🤣

I've never looked at reddit much, but if that's an example of "useful" information... I'll pass. Bunch of anecdoatal nonsense with the very occassional cogent point. I guess if you're bored and willing to surf through those 17k posts... you might pick up a tidbit here and there but after 10mins of reading the vast majority was just idle jibberjabber. "I live on a farm and coyotes will f your sh*t up"... followed by a number of posts of how coyotes don't care... they'll even jump a fence to f your sh*t up... and similar.

It makes gun owners look like a bunch of half retarded goofballs. If that's representative of the gun owning community it really should not come as any suprise why so many are against people owning firearms.:s0140:

Last Edited:

I've never looked at reddit much, but if that's an example of "useful" information... I'll pass. Bunch of antecdoatal nonsense with the very occassional cogent point. I guess if you're bored and willing to surf through those 17k posts... you might pick up a tidbit here and there but after 10mins of reading the vast majority was just idle jibberjabber. "I live on a farm and coyotes will f your sh*t up"... followed by a number of posts to follow of how coyotes don't care... they'll even jump a fence to f your sh*t up...

It makes gun owners look like a bunch of half retarded goofballs. If that's representative of the gun owning community it really should not come as any suprise why so many are against people owning firearms.:s0140:
100% agree. If I'm of a mind to harvest useful information, that site is slim pickin.

I've never looked at reddit much, but if that's an example of "useful" information... I'll pass. Bunch of anecdoatal nonsense with the very occassional cogent point. I guess if you're bored and willing to surf through those 17k posts... you might pick up a tidbit here and there but after 10mins of reading the vast majority was just idle jibberjabber. "I live on a farm and coyotes will f your sh*t up"... followed by a number of posts of how coyotes don't care... they'll even jump a fence to f your sh*t up... and similar.

Sounds eerily familiar...

After a cursory glance at the link, I picked up a distinct echo.

I guess I'm not looking for validation or confirmation that my decision to exercise my 2nd Amendment right as an American. Especially from a bunch of random mortals on the www.

If someone asks me why I own guns these days, I simply respond with "because I can" and move on. They are typically no more interested in my reasoning as I am in whatever their view is, but rather wanting to lecture me on how enlightened they are in their utopian world view.

After a cursory glance at the link, I picked up a distinct echo.

I guess I'm not looking for validation or confirmation that my decision to exercise my 2nd Amendment right as an American. Especially from a bunch of random mortals on the www.

If someone asks me why I own guns these days, I simply respond with "because I can" and move on. They are typically no more interested in my reasoning as I am in whatever their view is, but rather wanting to lecture me on how enlightened they are in their utopian world view.
I get the frustration, but it's not about you getting validation on your views, it's about getting them to question theirs.

It's sad, but about half of the gun owners I've met have indeed been "half retarded goofballs"; they've had zero sense of safety, basically treating their guns as toys and throwing all their money at them while their family is left in the rearview mirror and their future savings/college funds are ignored. It wasn't always that way, but it's what I'm seeing now.

They always seem to have the same bumper stickers, too...

My new term for "gun rights" is "safety equity". The public school indoctrinated love the term equity to it tends to open minds that are otherwise closed.

I present my case stating that they typical female is two thirds the size of the typical male, and without a means of protection is virtually defenseless and subject to physical harm and abuse. The weak and elderly facw the exact same situation. Likewise a minority is by definition outnumbered and faces a physical disadvantage. This can also be extended to the defense of a public that would be otherwise powerless against an authoritarian government.

Since the police, even before they were defunded, can not be there to offer protection under most circumstances people have to provide their own protection. Nothing equalizes a size or number discrepancy better than a firearm. Pepper spray if not effective on all people and will only make those people more violent and angry. A taser is only useful against a single person.

If we arm the weak against the strong then the strong now become the weak, so to ensure equity then they need access to firearms as well, thus all people should have the right to arm themselves for their own safety and protection.

Something to consider here....

Firearms are much more that just a means of self defense.
If one restricts one's views , usage , knowledge and enjoyment to only one aspect of firearms...
Then one ironically limits , restricts and dare I say bans ones full sense of appreciation , usage and enjoyment of all things firearms and firearm related.
I say ironically 'cause anti-gun people want to limit , restrict and ban firearms and their usage / ownership.

Now none of the above is meant to be read as saying that self defense ain't important ....'cause it damn sure is.
Nor am I saying that agree with bans , limits and other firearm restrictions.....
I am saying that there is far more to firearms than the same old "to protect myself" argument.

That said...gun companies love the "to protect myself " argument...'cause it does help them sell lots of guns and ammunition.
But that might be a subject better left to a new thread.
Andy

Answer - I own guns because f-ck you. That's why.

My answer probably won't be received well. Lol.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews