JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Status
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
200.gif

Was looking through new content and saw this for the first time...

The quoted text doesn't have a name and doesn't show up in the thread for me...

Is this what it looks like to be blocked/ignored by someone? :s0153:

20240519_214712.jpg

Was looking through new content and saw this for the first time...

The quoted text doesn't have a name and doesn't show up in the thread for me...

Is this what it looks like to be blocked/ignored by someone? :s0153:

View attachment 1884692
No, P7M13 was quoting something said in the video, when someone has you on ignore the post numbers at the upper left skip like this"

and so on

Also you see post that have comments that lack context or read like responses to things that aren't there

No, P7M13 was quoting something said in the video, when someone has you on ignore the post numbers at the upper left skip like this"

and so on

Also you see post that have comments that lack context or read like responses to things that aren't there
No. You wouldn't see the quote at all if they blocked you.

The poster just snipped a bit of text and didn't include the originator.

View attachment 1884699
Got it.

Thank you.

Got it.

Thank you.
Yep, this was the entire point of this suggestion; people can remove themselves entirely from your feed, which leaves holes and non-sequiturs in threads everywhere. My feelings are this is fine to do to yourself but not fine to do to someone else. As you can see from the suggestion vote quite a lot of people disagree. I kinda wonder if that disagreement is born of some wish to abuse the process, as I suspect there are people on here who block and unblock at will, allowing themselves to see content when they wish to, but blocking their target(s) from seeing their content for most of the rest of the time. I still hold the opinion that allowing such abusable features is not the way to build a robust community long term, but so far the site admin (@Joe Link) has not weighed in.

I get plenty of drama from my extended family - I use the ignore button liberally because I would rather just avoid it here.

Same reason zi get any relevant news from my wife, cuz life is to short for listening to other people's BS.

If they can't see my content I doubt they care much.

As a follow up - if you don't want to be ignored (not you you but the general population on here) then you should follow the golden rule and be polite even if you do not agree with people and you will be much less likely to be put on ignore.

I don't ignore people because we disagree. I generally block them because they are rude or abrasive about something, someone or a bigot of some kind.

I haven't counted but over the years I've put hundreds of people on ignore would be my best guess.

Edit: Either the site purged my ignore list or I did at some point lmao. I only have 3 people on ignore currently.

As a follow up - if you don't want to be ignored (not you you but the general population on here) then you should follow the golden rule and be polite even if you do not agree with people and you will be much less likely to be put on ignore.

I don't ignore people because we disagree. I generally block them because they are rude or abrasive about something, someone or a bigot of some kind.

I haven't counted but over the years I've put hundreds of people on ignore would be my best guess.

Edit: Either the site purged my ignore list or I did at some point lmao. I only have 3 people on ignore currently.
In all the forums I'm on I have probably ignored a half dozen people. If they tick me off to that point, I don't care what they see or don't.
Of those ignored most have imploded or been banned within a month or so anyway. And not seeing or reading their stuff is better for my blood pressure.
I'm OK with leaving this alone. DR

I keep seeing this as a common reply, and I do not really get it. This suggestion is not about you ignoring people (and thus you hiding their content from your own view), it is about them being able to force this on you. This is something relatively unique to this site, and (as I have stated) is relatively abusable, as you can pop on, unignore someone to peruse their posts, then block them again before you log off, this preventing them from seeing/responding to their content. I simply do not understand this as a "solution" to the problem of other people ignoring you hiding their content from you.

This is something relatively unique to this site, and (as I have stated) is relatively abusable, as you can pop on, unignore someone to peruse their posts, then block them again before you log off, this preventing them from seeing/responding to their content.
Hey! Thanks for the tip! That sounds awesome. :s0108:

Young snowflakes who cannot bear to have their impetuous, unprepared and uninformed statements challenged in even a mild and respectful manner may find "ignore" and "block" useful toward preserving their delicate sensibilities.

These are the people who worry themselves sick about what people on the internet think about them, and don't pay enough attention to the people that actually matter in their lives.

I can't for the life of me imagine the need. Why would I engage a software feature as a crutch, when actually defending myself is ever so much more fun?

I also cannot imagine being concerned how such a feature "affects" my view of conversations on this site. A Member for quite a number of years here, I only recently asked a Mod to explain how that whole "ignore" process works and manifests itself. (Yep, apparently I won the badge of honor from some fragile little thing I injured in some way.)

...and I could not care any less.

Yep, this was the entire point of this suggestion; people can remove themselves entirely from your feed, which leaves holes and non-sequiturs in threads everywhere. My feelings are this is fine to do to yourself but not fine to do to someone else. As you can see from the suggestion vote quite a lot of people disagree. I kinda wonder if that disagreement is born of some wish to abuse the process, as I suspect there are people on here who block and unblock at will, allowing themselves to see content when they wish to, but blocking their target(s) from seeing their content for most of the rest of the time. I still hold the opinion that allowing such abusable features is not the way to build a robust community long term, but so far the site admin (@Joe Link) has not weighed in.
But this community has been, and IS, robust. And growing every day For 16 years so far.
Hey guys, not to brag or anything, but I wasn't even trying, and I still managed to ignore this thread for over a month.
^^ This member^^ gets it. :D

In the category of "pick your battles", my only concern (by experience) regarding the "block from thread" feature (also of which I was graciously endowed at one point) is an ethical one:

Should an OP of a thread (who also happens to be a Moderator) exercise his "block from thread" power against a Member he disagrees with on that thread (and has broken no website rules)?

Or, should an OP who is also a Moderator wishing to issue such a block "recuse" himself from that decision and call in another Moderator to evaluate?

The appearance of impropriety is most often more damaging than any actual impropriety itself.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads