JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
I see your point. BUT, then I can go incognito and see who has me blocked. At that point I can go back to the thread an call them doo-doo heads (or other derogatory terms) and get a laugh if I choose.

I see your point. BUT, then I can go incognito and see who has me blocked. At that point I can go back to the thread a call them doo-doo heads (or other derogatory terms) and get a laugh if I choose.
I don't block anyone, if they're a consistent knob I just skip over their post, or (if they REALLY rub me the wrong way) I'll troll the living HELL out of them (I can think of at least three) until they violate the rules to the point that @Andy54Hawken bounces them out the door.

BTW- I usually laugh when I have a doo-doo.

not really. :s0098:

I see your point. BUT, then I can go incognito and see who has me blocked. At that point I can go back to the thread an call them doo-doo heads (or other derogatory terms) and get a laugh if I choose.
Having to switch out the entire browsing experience just to see what a comment is replying to (because the other person has you blocked) is a massive drag on the user experience. It is also an necessary burden on your interaction with the content because now if you want to quote the blocked user you have to copy/paste the desired content and you cannot format it like normal for your reply (because their quotes are hidden from you even if it is in your own reply). Yes, the quoted person will not be able to see your reply anyway, but other people still can, and that is the point here; their blocking of you has impacted your ability to participate and interact with uninvolved third parties. It really does not matter what the topic is, if they say something that is of enough interest to the wider community to generate a series of further comments you should be able to see that content to reply for the benefit of the rest of the community as well. Or as another example; if they have written a guide that has provided valuable information to the wider community, why should you be cut off just because they had a tiff with you in another completely unrelated thread? The ability to involuntarily block someone from your content has a disproportionate impact on the blocked user, and that should not be an involuntary action you can impose on someone else. Again, if they do not wish to see your content they have their own ignore button that can do that at their own discretion.

Personally I do not see the point to ignoring anyone.

I interpret it as a selfish, insecurity based action by which it gives the person his or her own select group that he or she 'identifies' with and they do not have to see anything that might 'affect' them personally.

Kind of like 'what I can't see cant hurt me' thing.

Personally I do not see the point to ignoring anyone.

I interpret it as a selfish, insecurity based action by which it gives the person his or her own select group that he or she 'identifies' with and they do not have to see anything that might 'affect' them personally.

Kind of like 'what I can't see cant hurt me' thing.
I don't ignore anyone either. I do find it annoying that people who have ignored me have made certain popular threads a swiss-cheese of replies, with many (to me) non-sequitur comments for which I have zero context.

I also suspect this breaks watched thread updates, as if a user who has blocked you updates the thread you do not get an alert (as their content is suppressed), but you also do not seem to get alerts for subsequent user updates as the thread has already been marked as new and unread? I have not had the chance to test that theory, but I have noticed going back to several popular threads that I have a few days of content to catch up on despite not having an alert about it in that time frame.

I don't ignore anyone either. I do find it annoying that people who have ignored me have made certain popular threads a swiss-cheese of replies, with many (to me) non-sequitur comments for which I have zero context.
For this problem you can open another browser where you're not logged in.

I just did it to see what it looks like, and it works fine, Safari and Firefox.

What you're talking about does seem to be a problem though, and it does seem like it's a problem that trolls can take advantage of, because if they can block you from seeing their content, and you have no idea that you're blocked, it becomes confusing.

Last Edited:
For this problem you can open another browser where you're not logged in.

I just did it to see what it looks like, and it works fine.

What you're talking about does seem to be a problem though, and it does seem like it's a problem that trolls can take advantage of, because if they can block you from seeing their content, and you have no idea that you're blocked, it becomes confusing.
yeah, I commented above on how I really dislike the user experience of having to go incognito, and how it still does not fix your ability to interact with other members due to the broken quote functionality. Just changing it so blocking is a one way affair instead of two would fix the entire issue without detracting from the functionality of what blocking is actually supposed to do.

ui_INCOGNITO.jpg
@Mikej 🦸‍♂️

Edit to add: If anyone is on my ignore list... it isn't personal. I use the ignore feature to filter out content from the "New Posts" selection. I currently have the entire Classified Section ignored. And no one is going to miss anything if my posts don't show in their feed. (example above)
Hey! What happened to Mike's posts?
:D

Last Edited:
I don't block anyone, if they're a consistent knob I just skip over their post, or (if they REALLY rub me the wrong way) I'll troll the living HELL out of them (I can think of at least three) until they violate the rules to the point that @Andy54Hawken bounces them out the door.

BTW- I usually laugh when I have a doo-doo.

not really. :s0098:
Ditto...never understood blocking someone, easy enough to scroll past...heck, I still read your posts!

I like it the way it is. Blocked means I don't want communication with you. It's a two-way street.
so block back when they block you. The functionality is still there, but not it is a choice for the second person, not something the first gets to enforce without the other's consent.

so block back when they block you. The functionality is still there, but not it is a choice for the second person, not something the first gets to enforce without the other's consent.
Why care? If they feel the need to block you, do you REALLY care to know what they have to say? I think it's more a reflection on that person than yourself.

Why the incessant need to know what someone who doesn't like you is saying? They by definition don't matter to me. I think you're in the minority here.

Why care? If they feel the need to block you, do you REALLY care to know what they have to say? I think it's more a reflection on that person than yourself.
Again, I am more concerned with how that interferes with your ability to converse with other people who are not blocked, or to access resources the thin-skinned one may have posted that would actually be useful to you. As I said above, there are threads I read that wind up looking fragmented because someone else blocked me, not because I have blocked anyone (I too have zero people on my block list, so why do my threads look hollowed out?). I would still like to participate in the conversation with people whom I enjoy interacting with, but that is made much harder by the fact that I have no idea what is going on for half the conversation, and if I want to get that context I have to go to a completely separate browser tab and engage in other shenanigans just to converse with people who have not blocked me on that thread.

Again, I am more concerned with how that interferes with your ability to converse with other people who are not blocked, or to access resources the thin-skinned one may have posted that would actually be useful to you. As I said above, there are threads I read that wind up looking fragmented because someone else blocked me, not because I have blocked anyone (I too have zero people on my block list, so why do my threads look hollowed out?). I would still like to participate in the conversation with people whom I enjoy interacting with, but that is made much harder by the fact that I have no idea what is going on for half the conversation, and if I want to get that context I have to go to a completely separate browser tab and engage in other shenanigans just to converse with people who have not blocked me on that thread.
There are plenty of other posts or threads to enjoy. You can't have this girl. She doesn't want you. Move on. :D

Again, my point is why do you wish to interact with those people? There's lots of resources on the web, I can't think of a single post that has changed my world enough that I wouldn't be able to catch the same idea elsewhere.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top