JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2nd time had to pull firearm to protect family livestock/ pets tonight. Sort of. Could not make a safe shot on the pitbull as I was afraid my 147 grain 9mm hp would go through attacking pitbull skull and kill my beloved livestock/ pet. Both were pinned down by the throat. First on my cat, then three years later my little dog. Both were attacking pitbulls. Tonight the pitbulls owner came out and wrangled his dog off of mine. Any one have first hand experiance with over penetration on pitbull skull into beloved pet? Am I safe to dispatch an animal with that firearm and round safely without penetration into my pucho, point blank on the pitbulls head? Fortunately, tonights attack on my dog ended better, but the first one ended with a dead cat. For anyone who cares, you can kick and stomp a pitbulls head untill your legs are dead, but they will not let go….
Called the Sherif, and they said I have the right to protect my livestock (pets) from threats, including discharging a firearm in a safe dirrection in the urban growth boundaries… in Oregon.
Any real life experience would be great! Thank you!

I'm sorry about your dog...and your cat.

The problem is that bullets can do funny things when they hit bone. There's no guarantee that it won't graze off to the side and then who knows where it's going to go.

What does pepper spray do to a Pitbull? Or what about cutting off its air supply...not that that's an easy or safe thing to do. Or what would knifing it in the flank do?

I'm sorry about your dog...and your cat.

The problem is that bullets can do funny things when they hit bone. There's no guarantee that it won't graze off to the side and then who knows where it's going to go.

What does pepper spray do to a Pitbull? Or what about cutting off its air supply...not that that's an easy or safe thing to do. Or what would knifing it in the flank do?

Never thought about sticking it in the butt with a knife! That might be the way to go! I don't think pepper spray would do it as I've seen adult grown men get pepper sprayed and still come at you. I would put a pitbull as more sturdy than a adult male.

Never thought about sticking it in the butt with a knife! That might be the way to go! I don't think pepper spray would do it as I've seen adult grown men get pepper sprayed and still come at you. I would put a pitbull as more sturdy than a adult male.
Thank you for your condolences. S

Pepper spray is probably the type of thing where you could quickly hot sauce him as you're grabbing your knife to get your point across. I also wonder what stun gun would do to a Pit.

I'm just trying to come up with options here. Pits are so damn stubborn it's hard to know what can break them off. I know choking them works if you can get a noose around their neck. They either let go or pass out. But it does take a bit of time.

Pepper spray is probably the type of thing where you could quickly hot sauce him as you're grabbing your knife to get your point across. I also wonder what stun gun would do to a Pit.

I'm just trying to come up with options here. Pits are so damn stubborn it's hard to know what can break them off. I know choking them works if you can get a noose around their neck. They either let go or pass out. But it does take a bit of time.

It sounds like you can get up close on it. I would have a cattle prod in one hand and handgun in the other. A cattle prod gives you a little reach at a safer distance and just inflicts pain. It doesn't dump a lot of voltage into the body and elicit a muscle response (like jaw clamping). Aim for sensitive tissue with the prod.. like the underbelly, rear side flanks... or the eye.

If you accidently hit your animal with a prod it also won't do any damage.

The pain might break the dog off your animal and give you a clear shot. I wouldn't go for the skull though. There is a likelihood a 9 won't penetrate. I would go for a body shot or upper leg joint to incapacitate it.

Another option is just a metal rod or shovel. Crack it's upper spine and it'll let go.

I got a pitbull to release the neighbor's terrier by sticking an Asp baton thru the mouth at the rear of the jaw and twisting the jaw open. I later saw a video where a pitbull fancier demonstrated that with a plastic tent stake or similar object.

Whacking the pit with the baton did nothing. Sticking the baton up it's azz might have, as I've been told, but thankfully I didn't try that.

If I had to shoot I'd put a round in the spine or hips.

Last Edited:
You don't have to shoot it in the head to kill it a shot through the shoulders aiming for the heart would have dropped him. Even if you miss the heart it would still be a lung shot.

1715841445930.png

Aloha, Mark

That makes a lot of sense too! Now I know what I'm gonna have to do next time my pucho or kitties get attacked.thank you all! Good thoughts on the situation!

If you shoot the dog, prepare for an escalation from the dog owner, not that I care, but people who are reckless with dogs tend to think they can get violent over you being violent with their dog.

Secondly, sheriff telling you that you are good to go in protecting your pet from the dog doesn't still mean the county prosecutor still won't/can't bring charges, again, not that I care, but just as an FYI.

Finally, if you are going to shoot the dog to attempt to save your animal, and you are worried about it deflecting off the skull - the eye socket is a window to the brain…

Interesting topic. Any critter that has hold of my cats or our American pitbull terrier (wife's dumb-dog) will be answering to a Higher Court if I'm available. Where it comes to protection, I'm a proven killer and I've lost too many of my cats, rabbits, and a dog to coyotes and mtn lion to be forgiving. Probably too old to raise another Samoyed, don't want to leave it mourning over my grave, so I've learned to appreciate our 4 cats as companions (such as they are) in that regard.
Bears do come around our place in Spring and Autumn but have never been a real problem other than scaring the wife or attacking the trash can.

Last Edited:
Now you see my delima. Save my little guy or spend lots of money in court. Let alone having to protect myself. I live in lane county, so its better than portland!

If you grab the hind legs, an attacking dog will let go--Be ready because he may try to bite you next

Yes, There Is A Smart Way To Break Up A Dog Fight
By Julie LeRoy
Published on Dec 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM
As a former animal control officer, I have seen my share of dogs fighting. I'm not talking about dogfighting in the Michael Vick sense. A fight can break out between dogs at any time and over many things.

If you grab the hind legs, an attacking dog will let go--Be ready because he may try to bite you next
Some breeds and smaller dogs you might get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't try that with a pitbull. There's no way you're going to hang on to a twisting ball of muscle and they will immediately turn on you. Close quarters like that pretty much all bets are off. Your only option would be jumping on it, using your weight advantage to pin it down... and try and get a knee on the neck to break it. Good luck! :s0155:

OR kind of has strange laws. On one hand... pets are "property". The use of lethal force (firearm) in defense of property is illegal. On the other hand... "livestock" are more protected. Being harrassed or attacked on your own property... lethal force is allowed.

Where you live and how the local authorities choose to apply the law is likely to matter a great deal. Lane county... I highly doubt they are going to make any distinction between "livestock" and "pets/property". If someone's pitbull is on your property attacking any of your "animals"... lethal force is fair game.

If it were me... playing it safe... and it being another persons pet... I wouldn't mess around with sprays or prods, get close to it's jaws trying to force it open, grab it's legs or even unholster my sidearm. I would just grab a bat/crowbar/similar and break the things spine. Leave it up to the dog owner if they wanna pay to try and save it or put it down.

A wild animal attacking? That's different. Cattle prod and a handgun.

Some breeds and smaller dogs you might get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't try that with a pitbull. There's no way you're going to hang on to a twisting ball of muscle and they will immediately turn on you. Close quarters like that pretty much all bets are off. Your only option would be jumping on it, using your weight advantage to pin it down... and try and get a knee on the neck to break it. Good luck! :s0155:

OR kind of has strange laws. On one hand... pets are "property". The use of lethal force (firearm) in defense of property is illegal. On the other hand... "livestock" are more protected. Being harrassed or attacked on your own property... lethal force is allowed.

Where you live and how the local authorities choose to apply the law is likely to matter a great deal. Lane county... I highly doubt they are going to make any distinction between "livestock" and "pets/property". If someone's pitbull is on your property attacking any of your "animals"... lethal force is fair game.

If it were me... playing it safe... and it being another persons pet... I wouldn't mess around with sprays or prods, get close to it's jaws trying to force it open, grab it's legs or even unholster my sidearm. I would just grab a bat/crowbar/similar and break the things spine. Leave it up to the dog owner if they wanna pay to try and save it or put it down.

A wild animal attacking? That's different. Cattle prod and a handgun.
I like the cattle prod, they are very good at changing a mammal's mind and best of all it doesn't kill the animal--whether it makes them smarter, I can't guess...

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top