JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I normally load .45 Colt for my SSA knock off with Tightgroup or HP-38, around 6.4 or 6.5 gr. over a 200 gr LRNFP. I've discovered I've got a ton of the same bullet in 250 gr. I'm wanting a reasonably easy shooting load. Suggestions? 200 or 250 gr.?

Thanks a ton!

I normally load .45 Colt for my SSA knock off with Tightgroup or HP-38, around 6.4 or 6.5 gr. over a 200 gr LRNFP. I've discovered I've got a ton of the same bullet in 250 gr. I'm wanting a reasonably easy shooting load. Suggestions? 200 or 250 gr.?

Thanks a ton!
Did you see this...

I'm loading for a rifle so somewhat slower burn rates are probably more appropriate in my case. If I were loading for handgun I wouldn't hesitate to use HP38/W231. I have HS6 too, which would work for me. It should be good for you too.

from my LaserCast ,cast bullet manual
hp 38/250 grain bullet,,6.3-7.0 powder =654-735 fps
Titegrouip,same bullet,5.2-6.3 powder =722-839 fps
this is under their cowboy loads section

To add on - I think I have two loads worked up -mainly I use 700-X, and then I have a backup load in 231. I generally shoot 200 grain.

I 'think' they do, very unscientific I know. Probably has some to do with the load too. But I have some heavier loads, I think 250, and I like the 200 better.

Do you agree that 200 gr. shoots softer than 250 gr. as a rule?
I have no absolute proof, but my brain tells me, out of two bullet weights, getting the lighter bullet moving at 750 '/sec will produce less recoil than getting the heavier bullet moving at the same velocity. I've generally loaded the lighter bullets of an appropriate weight in everything I load. Less battering of the gun, the wrist and the shoulder.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top