JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I've recently acquired a Ruger M77 stainless in 338 Federal. Been doing some research online about people's hand load results and on game performance. I'm surprised there isn't more out there. Just curious if anyone has some info they'd like to share on hunting big game with it, what their results were and some good bullets/powders to start with.

Thanks.

Our best loads were with the Nosler 180 gr Accubond pushed by IMR-8208XBR, tops in velocity and accuracy. Ramshot TAC also worked decently (since IMR-8208XBR has recently disappeared from the market).
Planning on trying some Speer 200 gr Hot-Cor bullets since Midway has them on sale for $19.99 for a box of 50. Not sure the .338 requires premium bullets at the comparatively pedestrian velocities it achieves.

Thanks for the info,

I read that imr 8208 and Tac work well with bullets in the 160-200 grain class. I have 1 pound of 8208 I've been sitting on. Don't want to burn through it searching for loads. I've also heard that AA2230 has some impressive accuracy and velocity with the lighter bullets also, just not very temp stable. I have some 200 hot cors and some 180 accubonds I think I will try to find an accurate load with both projectiles. I'm really interested in the 160 and 185ttsx. Do you have any experience with either of those?

Thanks for the info,

I read that imr 8208 and Tac work well with bullets in the 160-200 grain class. I have 1 pound of 8208 I've been sitting on. Don't want to burn through it searching for loads. I've also heard that AA2230 has some impressive accuracy and velocity with the lighter bullets also, just not very temp stable. I have some 200 hot cors and some 180 accubonds I think I will try to find an accurate load with both projectiles. I'm really interested in the 160 and 185ttsx. Do you have any experience with either of those?
I have a two boxes of the Barnes 160 gr TTSX bullets, but haven't loaded them yet. Looks like Hodgdon Benchmark might be a good powder for them (along with the unobtainable IMR-8208XBR and equally rare H-322).

Yeah I'm keeping my eyes out for either of those that's for sure! My current load is the 160ttsx over 52 grains of accurate 2230. 2.820 oal. Shoots about .75 moa pretty consistent and the es and sd are great!
More muzzle energy than a 7mm rem mag is pretty incredible out of this little package.

Yeah I'm keeping my eyes out for either of those that's for sure! My current load is the 160ttsx over 52 grains of accurate 2230. 2.820 oal. Shoots about .75 moa pretty consistent and the es and sd are great!
More muzzle energy than a 7mm rem mag is pretty incredible out of this little package.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have any Accurate 2230, but I do have a pound or two of Ramshot X-Terminator around here somewhere. And since they currently show identical results for loads with either, I might give it a shot. Apparently the slightly faster burning powders might be better suited to the 160 gr bullet. As for the 200 gr Speer, I plan to try TAC and IMR-3031. Now I just have to steal the rifle from my son to test the loads. (He shouldn't complain too loudly, since I bought it for him. He stole my Leupold VX-2 that sits on it…)

From what I hear, ramshot bought accurate and the x-terminator is the exact same powder as 2230. Tac should work good for the 200 grain Speer. I haven't played with them much and don't have my notes in front of me at the moment but I experimented with leverevolution and the 200 hot cor and got pretty decent accuracy and around 2700 fps. I'll have to look at my notes and get back to you. Pretty cool you load for your son, what rifle is it?

From what I hear, ramshot bought accurate and the x-terminator is the exact same powder as 2230. Tac should work good for the 200 grain Speer. I haven't played with them much and don't have my notes in front of me at the moment but I experimented with leverevolution and the 200 hot cor and got pretty decent accuracy and around 2700 fps. I'll have to look at my notes and get back to you. Pretty cool you load for your son, what rifle is it?
Ruger Hawkeye stainless all weather. Not a tack driver, but a competent hunting rifle for shots under 300 yards.

Man what a gem! If you ever want to part with it please let me know! I'd make it worth it for you if you wanted to trade.

I agree. It's a very slept on and underrated cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top