JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a unfired or turned Colt SAA in .44-40 from a local pawn shop for $1800. It has factory ivory grips, 7 1/2" bbl, unfluted cyl & gold inlayed Colt logo above the blackstrap. It also has the brown box, build sheet & all the unopened paperwork. I wanted a Colt SAA to shoot, but this gun is beautiful. How much value does a SAA lose if shot?
I imagine quite a bit to Colt collectors. New std Colt SAAs run around $1400. Seems like chump changed compared to the Wilson, Baer & Nighthawk 1911s.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last Edited:
I shoot all my guns to, this one is simply beautiful & I want to shoot it. They had a used early Les Baer custom for the same money. Pretty strange how much premium 1911s are going for these days when a unfired Custom Shop Colt SAA sells for the same money as a used Baer.

I also have one of the new Winchester made (Miroku - Japan) 1873 carbines in .44-40. Very high quality carbine to go along w/ my 1895 Winchester (Miroko) takedown rifle. I used to shoot a Miroku made Browning .22 Auto rifles in the '70s after they switched from Belgium, great little rifle.

Nice gun.
Don't shoot it.

Not all guns are shooters.
And not all guns are going to go up in value enough to justify keeping them in perfect unfired condition.

The Colt SSA's is. And many guns like WWI and WWII guns are. As are Pythons, Pre 64 Winchesters. And many others. So don't feel bad about choosing to preserve it, as it's a gun that is likely to increase in value enough to justify it.

Now once I new a guy that had a new in box P-85 Ruger. He loved that gun! And kept it as new.
That's fine. Some day It will be the best example of it's type.
But he would have done better financially. To start with a gun known to increase in value.
And He may have gotten more pleasure shooting it, than with the money it will someday return.
Probably somewhere short of inflation. :s0002:

Now about people that tell you to shoot it? Or claim to not own any ''Safe queens''?
They are often younger and don't have the extra money to purposely invest in guns yet.

Still? Like a blind squirrel occasionally finding a nut.
If these guys live long enough. They may find that some of their ''Shooters'' have increased significantly in value.:s0001:

Either by being well made. And no longer being in production. Or perhaps through import and other laws?
Then ''Low and behold'' They come full circle and join the ''Safe queen'' Collectors club. o_O

Age, perspective, and finances. Are always going to be relative. And long in coming.

So just go get a SAA clone to shoot. ;)

You really wont lose any value shooting it. SAA's are plateauing in value right now and have been for a couple of years since the bankruptcy of Colt but they are starting to drop price wise as Colt pulls itself out of the fire. The late 70's /early 80's 3rd gen guns are at the bottom of the value curve and probably would not appreciate much anyway. With the factory ivory and 44-40 caliber with the long barrel that gun is going to be worth what you paid for it whether you shoot it or not. The grips alone are worth 1/3 or better the price of the gun.

FWIW new SAA's might run $1400 MSRP on paper but you'll never see one sell for that. Most of the desirable calibers and lengths are closer to $2K ish out the door. 4 3/4" in 45 Colt will be top of the food chain and long barrels will sell for less.

I understand the financial/investment arguments for keeping a gun in "non-fired/turned" condition. On the other hand, I don't see the point in never shooting a gun. Kinda like a Ferrari that's never been driven or a highly trained Special Forces NCO who's never been to war.

Shoot it. If you flip it for a profit now or later, you will have a pocket full of money. Spend the money on anything or save it, it doesn't matter. Eventually you will not only have no gun, but the money will be gone too.

I don't shoot mine but that's just me. The first shot is going to cost me about $700. I have a Cimarron clone for shooting.

Might I ask which pawn shop has a Baer for $1400? Do you think they still have it? Was it beat to sh*t used or just some holster wear?

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top