JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The thing about cheap scopes is that in the long run they are turn out to be fairly exspensive - get to buy a better quality scope - sight it in a second time and that doesnt count your time. Depending on the purpose of the fire arm it can get very costly.

The thing about cheap scopes is that in the long run they are turn out to be fairly exspensive - get to buy a better quality scope - sight it in a second time and that doesnt count your time. Depending on the purpose of the fire arm it can get very costly.
Depends on the scope Imo. Many scopes and red dots are the same optic andsold under many brand names such as sig, vortex, bushnell, crimson, trace, and maybe 1-20 Chinese names. "Cheap" by itself doesn't mean anything, could be same quality as a vortex that costs 3-4 times more because it's the same scope, or it could be total trash. Research or owning one is often the only way to tell. Obviously not for serious hunting use etc. jackrabbits on a .22? Hell yeah!

The main con in the reviews seems to be the eye relief is about zero and one person mentioned vignetteing is a real issue.

With that kind of eye relief it's probably okay on light caliber rifles (.22lr), but using it on anything with a bit of recoil might catch you a case of scope eye(?)

The main con in the reviews seems to be the eye relief is about zero and one person mentioned vignetteing is a real issue.

With that kind of eye relief it's probably okay on light caliber rifles (.22lr), but using it on anything with a bit of recoil might catch you a case of scope eye(?)
Bad eye relief is damned annoying also! I might order one for a 22 just for giggles. I would have to research that eye relief thing first though.

Last Edited:
I like known quantities - Burris, Leupold and vortex have not let me down yet. I will stick with what works for me and pay a little for that insurance.

Bad eye relief is damned annoying also! I might order one for a 22 just for giggles.
It certainly tempted me enough to go check it out. If only I had a 22lr to shtick it on....
I got scopes commin outta my ears.

Seems like a new offering considering most of the Amazon reviews are "free item" reviews.

Yep, about the 'cheapest' I'll go is Primary Arms.

Ron Spomer did an enlightening test vid on a CVLIFE scope and went into it all fudded out. By the end he was pretty surprised. He even stuck it on a 375 H&H, lol.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4-WhxzXQE
Interesting. $30 is darn near disposable $ when it comes to optics. I swear by these $26 red dots. I have 6 of them and none have lost zero even rapid fire on 12 gauge. Not a go to war optic but for most things works awesome.

I swear by these $26 red dots. I have 6 of them and none have lost zero even rapid fire on 12 gauge. Not a go to war optic but for most things works awesome.
I bought a couple of those too, when they were $12. I have to say they have been doing a lot better than I expected and really no complaints. One on an AR22 and one on a basic 5.56 carbine. Mainly shooters for the youngins and they all really like being able to choose their preferred reticle and color so easily. Big, boxy and on the heavy side, but durable and provides a nice open sight picture.

I would say they would still be a great deal even at $26.

Depends on the scope Imo. Many scopes and red dots are the same optic andsold under many brand names such as sig, vortex, bushnell, crimson, trace, and maybe 1-20 Chinese names. "Cheap" by itself doesn't mean anything, could be same quality as a vortex that costs 3-4 times more because it's the same scope, or it could be total trash. Research or owning one is often the only way to tell. Obviously not for serious hunting use etc. jackrabbits on a .22? Hell yeah!
Yeah all the cheap optics in this price range are made by the same Chinese companies. To compare sig and vortex to this garbage is entirely false. Even bushnell isn't on the same level as cvlife

I've learned over time to not cheap out on optics, well, a lot of things actually.
I've learned over time to buy optics commensurate with their intended use, suitable for the maximum range you will shoot that firearm and in-line with the shooters abilities.

A $500-$1000+ optic on a range toy where 95%+ of your shooting will be at static targets within no more than 100yrds, and only rarely at 300yrds for gits and shiggles, won't make you a better shooter.

If an optic is suitable to the task, it also never hurts to save money and make buying better for the firearms that actually "matter" a more reasonable expenditure.

After all. It's not necessary to see the real life color and skin texture of a target to put a seed up their nose.:D

*Before I get railed. Obviously I'm talking about the vast majority of hobbyists and occasional hunters. Not competition enthusiasts trying to eek out a hairline bit of accuracy over their opponents.

I've learned over time to buy optics commensurate with their intended use, suitable for the maximum range you will shoot that firearm and in-line with the shooters abilities.

A $500-$1000+ optic on a range toy where 95%+ of your shooting will be at static targets within no more than 100yrds, and only rarely at 300yrds for gits and shiggles, won't make you a better shooter.

If an optic is suitable to the task, it also never hurts to save money and make buying better for the firearms that actually "matter" a more reasonable expenditure.

After all. It's not necessary to see the real life color and skin texture of a target to put a seed up their nose.:D

*Before I get railed. Obviously I'm talking about the vast majority of hobbyists and occasional hunters. Not competition enthusiasts trying to eke out a hairline bit of accuracy over their opponents.
I've never understood how people can rationalize buying cheap, garbage optics to "save money." Have better spending habits, or save your money to buy a better optic. Plenty of options that won't break the bank. Good, reliable red dots start around $100 (Romeo 5 and the Holosun dots) and LPVOs start around $200-$250.

That's the long way of saying no one should be buying this crap in 2024

I've never understood how people can rationalize buying cheap, garbage optics to "save money." Have better spending habits, or save your money to buy a better optic. Plenty of options that won't break the bank. Good, reliable red dots start around $100 (Romeo 5 and the Holosun dots) and LPVOs start around $200-$250.

That's the long way of saying no one should be buying this crap in 2024
I think it's a matter of recognizing that one persons perspectives and needs are not a one size fits all for everyone. If you only own a couple (or small handful) that are all uniquely purposed, relied upon to put meat on the table or for self defense then it makes more sense to stick with only higher quality optics. Although I would still argue that many folks buy optics FAR above their pay grades thinking it somehow make them a better shooter... and that simply ain't the case.

Kind of like buying a ferrari they can't handle to highway commute driving 65 every day.:s0140:

If you own dozens and many are similarly configured, simply "range toys", beater truck/work guns and/or purely for pleasure.... it doesn't always make sense.

Just like the scope in the OP. I wouldn't put it on a serious rifle, but a range training rifle for the youngins, where they are doing fantastic if they are getting the majority of their shots on paper, and that is highly likely to get dropped, banged around and abused on a regular basis?

Yeah... if it can hold zero and take some lumps.. it's probably just fine. It's good for them to get in some experience with an LVPO they likely wouldn't otherwise get because I ain't shticking a $400+ scope on a $400 rifle that I may not be too happy about if they beat the crap out of it.:D

Last Edited:
My leapers 3-9x bug buster scope cost me $54? new about 16 years ago. It's been on .22s and 5.56 and airguns. It gets knocked around and beat up and is used about 2 times a week (primarily for pesting). It's really bright glass and has never strayed from zero. Quality is quality and junk is junk no matter what you pay for it.

Most commodities nowadays (unless you are buying american made) are made in exactly the same factories -mostly in China- and each brand puts their own look on it for brand differentiation. If you order enough units, you can have that same vortex or sig or bushnell scope/red dot etc made with your own name on it and look.

If I put expensive optics on all guns I would own 1/2 to 2/3 less guns than I do. For me there are 2 classes of optics, (1) go to war (Fe aimpoint, trijicon, etc) and (2) everything else. Everything else can vary from junk to excellent and cost is largely determined by what brand name it's being sold under even if it is the same optic.

This expert's interview with Ian explains it better than I can:

View: https://youtu.be/Y7C9JWIjP6U?si=jvHt2cdSPOHgnwsw

Last Edited:
Most commodities nowadays (unless you are buying american made) are made in exactly the same factories -mostly in China- and each brand puts their own look on it for brand differentiation. If you order enough units, you can have that same vortex or sig or bushnell scope/red dot etc made with your own name on it and look.
I don't completely disagree, but just because something comes out of the same factory does not mean the product is the same or of the same quality. Visually they may appear so but it's quite common for... say... "2nds" from a production run for a brand name optic that doesn't meet QC standards may be sold under a generic brand name. Often swapping out cheaper components as well to meet a bargain brand customers target price point.

Essentially recycling sub standard production instead of simply becoming costly "wastage". Sometimes it's fully intentional, like using lower quality metals and such to fill a market share or continuing to use costly tools and dies that are no longer capable of production at more stringent QC standards, but extending their useful life for other customers with lower acceptable standards.

There are certainly cases where brands are intentionally buying bottom of the barrel components and simply selling their brand name, but more often than not... when it comes to brands with a long history that want to stay in business... there are different specs and higher quality standards those factories have to meet. Even if the differences are not readily apparent to the consumer.

Sometimes you can pay little and you get less than what you paid for. Other times... you pay little and get great bang for your buck that is more than sufficient to meet less stringent needs. Not every application requires "top tier", "bulletproof" optics, but... by and large... the saying of, "you get what you pay for" endures because it's true.

Of course, the same can be said for, "waste not, want not". :D

Last Edited:
If I don't trust a firearm I don't want it. With my eyes I need an optic - days of open sighted rifles are in my past. In order to trust a rifle the scope has got to be dependable. I just picked up a couple of redfields for 140 a piece off a member on this board. To me that is affordable. I would love to buy thousand dollar scopes but I am in the 300 to 500 range. There are no guarantees but I like to stack the odds in my favor - I see buying cheap crap that belongs on a Nerf gun a waste of money.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top