JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I have heard, they make a big difference with comfortable carry, I am in need of a good gun belt. Something sturdy and stylish for edc for use with an iwb holster. I would like to hear what you guys use. I'm looking for information on makers and what to look for with the construction or materials of a quality gun belt. I've read that horsehide is stiffer and wears longer than cowhide. I've also seen some that use internal stiffeners so I'm not sure what would work best for lifelong durability and function. Are there local craftsmen or other retailers in the Portland area who carry a selection? I'd rather go try one on to make sure it fits and feels right instead of ordering online.

the best i know of is Brigade holsters they are extremely well made and they work with everything from horse and cowhide to ostrich and aligator. their expensive (around 100 bucks) but from what i've heard and read they are one of the best IWB holsters out there. there's a long wait time for one because they are hand made and everybody seems to want one. Got to the website and check em' out (www.brigadegunleather.com i think) For now i use a tagua IWB leather slip holster which is simple, but it's comfortable and still allows for a quick draw, also they are ambidextrus which is good for us freak left handers

Last Edited:
the best i know of is Brigade holsters they are extremely well made and they work with everything from horse and cowhide to ostrich and aligator. their expensive (around 100 bucks) but from what i've heard and read they are one of the best IWB holsters out there. there's a long wait time for one because they are hand made and everybody seems to want one. Got to the website and check em' out (www.brigadegunleather.com i think) For now i use a tagua IWB leather slip holster which is simple, but it's comfortable and still allows for a quick draw, also they are ambidextrus which is good for us freak left handers

Thanks for the info but I've got the holster. Just need info on belts.:)

Thank you too Schwabdl, I will give Lightning Arms a ring to make an appointment

2 suggestions.

1. Go local, you can try and buy at Ted Blocker in Tigard, they are big in the cowboy action world and even make some holsters for Massad Ayoob and Michael Bane. They were my first belt. Thick good quality leather, had it for 3-4yrs. now and no visible wear. I think there is a stiffner, not sure.

2. Wilderness Tactical, I got mine from the OFA store during my Utah CC class, it costs the same as buying them from Wilderness Tactical, but shipping is more reasonable, and I like supporting the local guys. This belt is synethetic.....kinda a "rigger's" belt. I thought it was just a "tacticool" belt........think again, I was wrong, it is now my go to belt. It also holds my Ted Blocker IWB just fine.

The big deal is being able to try something before you buy it......you cannot put a price on that. It's not just the seeing, touching, feeling......it's the education you get when asking, what, how and why something is built.....

The big deal is being able to try something before you buy it......you cannot put a price on that. It's not just the seeing, touching, feeling......it's the education you get when asking, what, how and why something is built.....

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks, I'll check out Ted Blocker as well.

The belt is the foundation of a good carry system. Skimp on that foundation, and the problems will rop up elsewhere and you may not know where they are coming from.

A good gun/holster belt is double thick, at least 1 1/4" wide, and made to fit the loops on your holster snug.

I would opt to match the belt to the pants first. Meaning the width fills the belt loops, and then make sure it fills the loops on the holster.

new at the carry scene, I looked at a few, and bought a Galco Dress style belt.. plain black, laminated, heavy... it is VERY comfortable and solid. Works well with Galco's IWB soft leather holsters (wish I could have found boned hide holsters for the ones I want to carry, but oh well..... )

Cost about sixty bucks, the guy (Welcher's Gun Shop, Pacific at about 60th, in Tacoma) was VERY patient and helpful, and quite knowledgeable. He earned MY respect, and repeat custom.

I have bought three gunbelts from www.thebeltman.net

Great prices, great service, great belts! He has many options to fit your needs. My favorite is a double thickness bullhide belt. I carry a G30SF IWB, and it works wonderfully. I have worn it daily for over 4 years and it still looks like new.

I have several friends who have ordered from him after asking me where I got mine, and they are all quite satisfied.

YMMV

Was at the gun show in Portland, OR last year and bought a great carry belt. It is 1 1/2 in wide 2 layer double stiched cowhide. Won't sag even carrying my solid Stainless DW CBOB.

Animal Jack Leather out of Medford, OR. (541)301-8653

He doesn't do the internet thing and I didn't see him at the last Portland Show I was at, but you might want to give him a call.

Once I got my horsehide Beltman belt about two years ago, I rarely wear another belt.....with or without the firearm. It's THAT good. It really makes a difference in all day comfort even when you are Not supporting a holstered firearm. I will never, ever, go back to either the cheap or expensive "style" belts I used to wear.

There are other guys out there making similar belts, but figure on about $80-$100 for something in this league in leather.

The WT fabric belts are ok (I have one), but lack the reassurance and the comfort provided by leather that has been broken in. Probably why I don't wear sneakers either, always insisting on leather footwear. But if a lower price is important to you, I recommend that belt as a low-price unit plenty capable of getting the job done until you can afford something really nice.

Well in my search for a good gun belt I went by Ted Blocker Holsters today in Tigard. They had a nice selection of very nice products. Prices seemed good as well for the quality of the work and materials. Unfortunatly they didn't have my size in the the style I liked, a simple black 1 1/2 by 1/4 inch thick, double layered full grain bullhide with a nickle buckle. The woman who waited on me was very helpful and informative. She called the style I selected her 10 year belt, and for $55 dollars I figured if I got that much time out of it, it was a bargin. She let me try on anything I liked and encouraged me to grab my holster out of the truck to see how it would work with the belts. She had a variety of the plastic "blue guns" in different makes so you can test the fit of the guns, holsters and belts. I had her put my order in for a belt in my size in the style I prefered so they can make one up for me. I'm glad I asked, otherwise I would have never known such a nice shop, where I could try before I buy, was so close. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.:s0155:

CC means concealed. A "gunbelt" is a sure tell that someone may be armed. Better the bad guys never know you carry, till it's too late for them. If you use a belt don't let it shout "gun" to the people who look at you. Hide it and never show it.

jj

CC means concealed. A "gunbelt" is a sure tell that someone may be armed. Better the bad guys never know you carry, till it's too late for them. If you use a belt don't let it shout "gun" to the people who look at you. Hide it and never show it.

jj

Interesting point to get the wheels spinning. I would be more concerned about not using a proper belt and having a holster sag thus exposing or allowing it to print. I'm not sure how a belt can shout "gun" or if the layman would recognize one from an ordinary dress belt. Could you explain your theory? Are you thinking of carry with a tucked shirt where the belt is visible? I'm usually untucked or have another cover garment such as a jacket so it is always hidden anyway.

Ted Blocker Belts Rule... I have 4 of them with some 10 yrs old. IMO they look just like any other belt you would wear with Jeans and certainly is not a tell to cc. They have them in slimmer styles also which would work with dress slacks or dockers and still appear to be an appropriate belt for the attire. You can also swap the buckles out for one you may have already as all mine are attached via double snaps.

I'm glad to find the Beltman website; look like some fine belts and will probably order one. Living in Lincoln City means anything I get is from the internet. What I did not see on his site is a contoured belt.
RECOMMENDED: I have one from Galco, called the Galco Countour, as I recall, that was vastly more comfortable out of the box than a standard straight-cut belt. Over time any belt will mold to your waist, but the Countour starts out that way. They cost more, because it takes more leather to cut them on a curve, but my experience says they are worth it.
ALSO RECOMMENDED: I also have a couple of Wilderness Tactical 1-1/2" nylon belts that are becoming my everyday belts for ease of use and comfort. These guys are bullet-proof, for wear such as tactical range use when you wouldn't want to scrape up a nice polished leather belt crawling around in the gravel. You could also use them for emergency rappel by fastening a carabiner to the buckle. Don't know how long the velcro will last, but its only function is to secure the tail end to the belt. Nice belts, but watch out for imitations, not all are rated for 5000# plus static loads before failure, but there are several out there that look the same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top