JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just ordered a small portable propane "camping" stove as an alternative cooking device.

I have a multi-fuel lantern that allows for cooking - but it would be somewhat awkward for anything that wasn't a small pot. I also have a woodstove that can heat/cook stuff if I put the liner from my slow cooker on it. But this would be better if the power goes out, and for camping.

:s0153: Has anyone tried those thermal cookers? (basically just a giant thermos with a stainless steel liner/pot) it uses residual heat to slow cook or bake. They seem to be especially popular in Australia and with campers. Has anyone here used one of the 5qt ones?

Edited to add:
I did try an experiment as a sort of "proof-of-concept"…. Placed 2 large eggs in my 20oz stainless steel insulated travel mug/thermos at 10AM and filled it with boiling water, sealed the lid and checked it a noon.
The result was 2 perfectly boiled eggs for lunch. Now, I just need to know if it actually can scale up for making stew, beans (from dry) etc…:s0155:

Last Edited:
I'm just going to use my Covid mask. It's less than two years old.
Yah, my thoughts are N95 type masks should be "fine" for most things.

Those respirator type masks with replaceable filters for "beyond N95" usage. For us.

My thoughts being dust, smoke, ash & such.

Perhaps biological, however only insofar as search & rescue may go.

If that makes sense.

Not preparing for NBC. Do think such could/will occur. Simply not preparing for it is all, beyond "general" preparedness.

Those respirator type masks with replaceable filters for "beyond N95" usage. For us.

If that makes sense.

Not preparing for NBC. Do think such could/will occur. Simply not preparing for it is all, beyond "general" preparedness.
I use to work at a lab "sometimes" to make a test on the parts were making. The company issued me a mask with a filter in it. I remember they send me to a test place to certify the mask. They sprayed all kinds of strong odor non-toxic chemical and I couldn't even smell one part of it. Sometimes I test a higher octane gas than the normal. Same. When I was leaving the company, my supervisor told me to keep the mask. I left it there for my own personal reasons. Now I'm asking myself, maybe I should have taken that.

Kinda a prepping item, or tool...

Picked up a Stihl FS 91 R 4 stroke mixed fuel line trimmer with brush cutter attachment to clear brush and land easier.

On sale locally for $60 off making it $300 and then got $125 in extras like the brush cutter, guards, fuel mix that doubles my warranty of 2yrs to 4yrs, and on order a Bluetooth tracker to count hours for periodic maintenance.

20240517_103634.jpg 20240517_093552.jpg

Kinda a prepping item, or tool...

Picked up a Stihl FS 91 R 4 stroke mixed fuel line trimmer with brush cutter attachment to clear brush and land easier.

On sale locally for $60 off making it $300 and then got $125 in extras like the brush cutter, guards, fuel mix that doubles my warranty of 2yrs to 4yrs, and on order a Bluetooth tracker to count hours for periodic maintenance.

View attachment 1883412 View attachment 1883413
You sure you don't mean 2 stroke? generally 4 strokes don't need mixed fuel. Either way it's a good tool. I've had mine for a couple years now with no problems.

If that makes sense.

Actually, I was just kidding. I was contrasting using a covid mask where there was radioactivity. :)

You sure you don't mean 2 stroke? generally 4 strokes don't need mixed fuel. Either way it's a good tool. I've had mine for a couple years now with no problems.
It's a Stihl marketing stunt - you still need to mix gas for it and it still sounds like a two-stroke.

(see what I did there? Still/Stihl - get it? :s0113:)

And yes - I have a "4-stroke" Stihl Kombi tool that uses the same gas I use for my Stihl chainsaw.

1716046085684.jpeg

Put a cargo net over my GHB supplies in my "daily driver" (actually my monthly driver as I no longer commute daily). I also added a 5# fire extinguisher (which I need to find a better way to secure it). The cargo net is attached to some sturdy cargo tie down points that are attached to the subframe (I believe).

The objective was to reduce the likelihood of the supplies/etc. from causing injuries/damage if I get in a bad accident. Unfortunately the net isn't as tight as I had envisioned, but it is better than nothing. I might try to find a smaller tighter cargo net to use instead or in addition. It just occurred to me that I also have some tie down straps I could maybe use.

As you can see - I have most of the supplies within two MTM "ammo crates" to keep the supplies protected from damage from abrasion/compression and water/etc. If I need to go on foot, there is a small backpack with a water bladder - I can then pick & choose from the supplies, as befits the situation, and put them in the backpack. I also have a spare set of clothes and some boots (these boots are made for walking :D), a snow/sand shovel, etc. - and some 64 ounce Nalgene bottle with water (4 in total, two back there, two up front - for 2 gallons of water).

It's a Stihl marketing stunt - you still need to mix gas for it and it still sounds like a two-stroke.

(see what I did there? Still/Stihl - get it? :s0113:)

And yes - I have a "4-stroke" Stihl Kombi tool that uses the same gas I use for my Stihl chainsaw.
Now I have to look and see if my Stihl weed eater is marked 4 or 2 stroke, I do use Stihl chainsaw gas in it. It sure sounds and acts like a 2 stroke.

Now I have to look and see if my Stihl weed eater is marked 4 or 2 stroke, I do use Stihl chainsaw gas in it. It sure sounds and acts like a 2 stroke.
If you bought it in the last decade (or more) then it is probably a "4-Mix". They did this mostly for emissions on most (if not all) of their weed eater, leaf blower, etc. type tools. The chain saws are two stroke (or now, some are electric - I intend to eventually get an electric chainsaw for my 4WDs so I don't need to carry gas when I come across a downed tree on a trail/road).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top