JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You sound like guy that doesn't mind putting in time and effort learning to do something correctly and well.....so maybe Charcuterie.

There is some smoking involved but the art of dried and fermented meats is an amazing skill set to master. As the old ethnic neighborhoods die off the "good stuff" is getting impossible to get.

An array of books by Stanley and Adam Marianski will quickly get you in over your head. I started with a book by Rytek Kutas.

smokingmeatforums.com is a pretty special site.

Whatever you do have fun.

It takes a master of pancaking to be truly above the rest for your precious granddaughters. :s0140: :s0108: :s0037::s0108:

IMG_4271.jpeg IMG_4270.jpeg IMG_2875.jpeg

I don't see you in the what's on the grill thread. She came in Wednesday.
View attachment 1883420
Have you started a fire in it yet?

How's the airflow?

Any smoke escaping through the lid gaps?

What's the temperature drop from right to left?

They are using a pretty tall exhaust column. Can you get a pic of the holes between the firebox and smoke box, as well as the exhaust collector?

Do you plan on painting it or are you just going to oil it down and let it naturally blacken itself?

How's the airflow?

They are using a pretty tall exhaust column. Can you get a pic of the holes between the firebox and smoke box, as well as the exhaust collector?

Do you plan on painting it or are you just going to oil it down and let it naturally blacken itself?
I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll fire things up today or tomorrow. Probably today. Got to clean it then add a quick coat of linseed oil.

How's the airflow?

Airflow is great. Fire management is easier than I thought. Clean smoke isn't hard to attain. It does leak at the doors. Temp swing lower left to lower right is 50F. Lower right to upper right is within 15F. Upper left is within 15F to upper right. But we are talking 3.5' from left thermometer to right. Thermometers are Tel-Tru and are highly regarded. I'm thinking that if I move the fire more to the middle of the fire box it will reduce to swing from left to right.

I'm going to oil out and let it blacken.

1000015846.jpg

Last Edited:
Airflow is great. Fire management is easier than I thought. Clean smoke isn't hard to attain. It does leak at the doors. Temp swing let left to lower right is 50F. Lower right to upper right is within 15F. Upper left is within 15F to upper right. But we are talking 3.5' from left thermometer to right. Thermometers are Tel-Tru and are highly regarded. I'm thinking that if I move the fire more to the middle of the fire box it will reduce to swing from left to right.

I'm going to oil out and let it blacken.

View attachment 1883904
Love it! This is the motivation I need to clean up the shop and get welding on mine.

I've kind of avoided learning to weld because I knew it would take me down an expensive path. :s0053:
It's a blessing...and a curse.

It is, however, a wonderful outlet. Once you don the hood, it's just you, the torch and the steel. Nothing else around you matters...until you realize you forgot to turn on the ventilation and you're getting smoked out of your tiny bubblegum shop and just decreased your lung capacity by 2% in 30 seconds.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top