JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, I've looked at Midway targets before. In fact, I used to buy the SR-1's from them. But lately, shipping has become an issue. Free shipping comes up once in a while, but unless my recollection is faulty, heavy pads of targets may be one of the things excluded from that offer. I'd have to wait until they have a free shipping period to check on that. BUT: What I remember more clearly is that last time I looked into buying SR-1's from them, something held me back.

The Midway prices in general look better than Amazon, dismissing the potential for shipping issue. I'll file them away mentally for when I run short of cereal boxes and spray paint.

I like those Shoot-N-See targets. They are especially advantageous when you're looking for .224 holes at 100 yards through a range scope. Those small holes fired into a black center ball can be hard to see. "Is there a hole there or isn't there?" The squares that

illustrates in post #13 would be good for that, too, once you get dialed down. When I'm sighting in a scope, I try to bore sight it at home first best as I can. That isn't always possible, depending on the equipment, so a fellow might need a larger target to find out first where he's going.
I've bought Caldwell targets there for years. I pick them up when they have "blems" on sale - usually the strips of dots are missing, but you can cut squares out of a used target for that.

The Midway prices in general look better than Amazon, dismissing the potential for shipping issue. I'll file them away mentally for when I run short of cereal boxes and spray paint.
Which I will definitely run out of way before I run out of ammo. If I live long enough to run out of either.

I bought a roll of 1", bright pink sticky dots years ago. I used to just use the dot in the center of a paper plate. Then I got a computer and printer, downloaded a target and printed my own. The target with the red center may have been downloaded from this site.
A couple of years ago I bought a big stack of NRA targets. Quite often I put one of the sticky dots in the center. Makes a very nice aiming point at 100 yards. The benefit of the purchased targets is that they are printed on heavier stock than the 8.5x11" printer paper.

ladder test 9.14.21.jpg First shots.jpg office.jpg

I save almost every can we use. I have a barrel in the shop full of them. Anytime we shoot, I bring cans. once they are well ventilated, they go in the metal scrap pile to be recycled.
Love shooting at cans and chasing them around the gravel / shooting pit.
And yes I know that where I live such targets are not allowed....
However...since I take them and other left over trash from the pit home with me...I really don't care.
Andy

Tin cans not allowed? Some state reg?
Yep...not sure of the actual number of state regulation...but there is now a list of approved targets for state land.
And tin cans / beer / soda cans ain't on it.

I understand the intent behind the reg...and really don't have an issue with it...
Other than the only folks who care or follow it ...are the ones that didn't cause the problem in the first place.
Andy

Tin cans not allowed? Some state reg?
At our small range ground targets aren't allowed because of skip off the ground can go beyond the range. I agree with that. I disagree with chasing cans, plastic drink bottles, shooting water jugs, etc. where skip would not be an issue People do it anyway and leave them there. THAT should get a ticket. Everyone has recycling at their homes. Easy to take them with you. Too many picky rules and more people will ignore them.

At our small range ground targets aren't allowed because of skip off the ground can go beyond the range. I agree with that. I disagree with chasing cans, plastic drink bottles, shooting water jugs, etc. where skip would not be an issue People do it anyway and leave them there. THAT should get a ticket. Everyone has recycling at their homes. Easy to take them with you. Too many picky rules and more people will ignore them.
Yep you've got to be sure of your backstop no matter what or how you're shooting. We play happy can at the base of a 12' high BLM stock pile.

There's plenty of sites that have tons of targets you can print for free, work great for pistols or rifles up to 100 yards.

At 400 we used 1" orange "stickers" (Super inexpensive on Amazon. Though on a steel target the first shot's splatter would usually blow the dot off the target, we ended up using green or blue tape), at 750 we used a spray can of orange inverted marking paint (sprayed a "dot" on 18" AR500 1/2 silhouette), can last forever.

Bonus: When the spray can is empty you can use it as a target; Who's first to take the orange cap off at 400 without knocking over the can gets a free lunch :)

Another vote for the venerable tin can, perhaps the greatest target of all time, especially ones that still have a top on them like an empty can of pop, beer or apple juice...
I now primarily shoot at a range where paper is the only option, but I first started shooting with .22 at tin cans along time ago and still enjoy it. Set them on a fence post, bounce them down a rural dirt road or we shot them moving with the current in a local creek (hence the need of a top).
They are free, reactionary, easy to see at distance, take multiple hits and they are small enough to pose a challenge.

Some fussy pants LEO might think tin cans fall under the can't shoot steel targets rule. IDGAF and pack them in and out when done.
Just another reason it's nice to have a private place to shoot. It's also really nice to not worry about what slimeball might be coming into a public shooting area behind me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top