JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't even know PC Mag was still around! I subscribed to that back in the 80's and 90's. John C. Dvoraks' article on the back page was always food for thought...or a laugh. Somehow over the years I completely forgot they existed.

Anywhoo...back to SpaceX/Starlink.

Summary: if you are paying $90 because of "limited capacity", SL is probably going to up your monthly payment to $120 because you now have "increased capacity".

In actuality, SL needs/wants the income and/or they feel they have number of users they need in that area.

Some time ago SL was offering their service in certain areas for $90/mo because there were not many users in those areas - so the $90 was incentive to get more users. They now have those users and they need the $ more than they need more users - in those areas. It is all about balancing user bandwidth and revenue.
$90? You're getting off easy. My SL runs about five times that. 😢

$90? You're getting off easy. My SL runs about five times that. 😢
Mine was $120

What SL did was offer $90 to underutilized areas in order to bump up subscription rates in those areas.

Now that the rates are up, they returned the cost to "normal".

I am not using my SL system at present as TMobile started offering 5G (Home Internet) service in my area. TM is both cheaper and the router consumes a lot less power (5-10 Watts) so when the power goes out in the winter, I can run the system at least ten times as long - usually long enough for the power outage to be fixed - I could theoretically run it on solar, but I am too lazy to try that out in the middle of a snow storm.

The downside of TMobile is that I can only use it at home (or wherever it is offered - if I go thru the process of changing the address), whereas SL can be used anywhere in the world.

Mine was $120

What SL did was offer $90 to underutilized areas in order to bump up subscription rates in those areas.

I am not using my SL system at present as TMobile started offering 5G (Home Internet) service in my area. TM is both cheaper and the router consumes a lot less power (5-10 Watts) so when the power goes out in the winter, I can run the system at least ten times as long - usually long enough for the power outage to be fixed - I could theoretically run it on solar, but I am too lazy to try that out in the middle of a snow storm.

The downside of TMobile is that I can only use it at home (or wherever it is offered - if I go thru the process of changing the address), whereas SL can be used anywhere in the world.
Hey Heretic- I know it is going to depend upon service area, but what speeds are you seeing with T-Mobile home internet? I currently average around 180mg down/ 15 up on Starlink . . .

Mine was $120

Yeah, there's no cable/fiber infrastructure near my house. Comcast never got over 10Mbps; Viasat/ATT overpromised and under delivered—never got above 40Mbps. We need 100 minimum for work, and SL is the only provider that can do it. So, Elmo gets a fat payment every month. Where SL gets you is data usage.

Hey Heretic- I know it is going to depend upon service area, but what speeds are you seeing with T-Mobile home internet? I currently average around 180mg down/ 15 up on Starlink . . .
I see 100-250. It varies a lot. Sometimes I see as much as 400.

Lately I get 150-250, but after using it for a few days it drops down to 50-100, then I reboot my laptop and it goes back to normal. I can't figure out what is causing that, but rebooting the laptop seems to fix it almost all the time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I am thinking Facebook interacting with my ad blocker because FB often slows to a crawl.

I see 100-250. It varies a lot. Sometimes I see as much as 400.

Lately I get 150-250, but after using it for a few days it drops down to 50-100, then I reboot my laptop and it goes back to normal. I can't figure out what is causing that, but rebooting the laptop seems to fix it almost all the time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I am thinking Facebook interacting with my ad blocker because FB often slows to a crawl.
I had cell service that was like that for about a year. I originally called the company about only getting 3 bars in my home. They fiddled with a bunch of stuff (or said they did) and eventually had me restart the phone. On reboot, I have 5 bars. It stayed that way for a day or two and went back to 3. I restarted it and so on and so forth. My best guess was that it was locking onto a slower or more distant cell tower.

I had cell service that was like that for about a year. I originally called the company about only getting 3 bars in my home. They fiddled with a bunch of stuff (or said they did) and eventually had me restart the phone. On reboot, I have 5 bars. It stayed that way for a day or two and went back to 3. I restarted it and so on and so forth. My best guess was that it was locking onto a slower or more distant cell tower.
I always have 4-5 bars on the router. I don't see how rebooting the laptop itself would have anything to do with router reception issues?

The only problems I have had with the router has been when my TV, laptop & phone cannot see the internet thru the router, so I have to reboot the router and that usually fixes it. A few times there has been a complete outage.

But at $50/mo I am still fine with the service. SL had issues too from time to time. But both are better than the long distance WiFi I had - which towards the end, just plain stopped working altogether due to trees between out neighborhood and the connection at the base of the mountain - nobody on our road could use it anymore.

I always have 4-5 bars on the router. I don't see how rebooting the laptop itself would have anything to do with router reception issues?

The only problems I have had with the router has been when my TV, laptop & phone cannot see the internet thru the router, so I have to reboot the router and that usually fixes it. A few times there has been a complete outage.

But at $50/mo I am still fine with the service. SL had issues too from time to time. But both are better than the long distance WiFi I had - which towards the end, just plain stopped working altogether due to trees between out neighborhood and the connection at the base of the mountain - nobody on our road could use it anymore.
I should have been more clear, or maybe less specific. In complex systems, as a device tries to improve local performance, it can get a little off-mission after a while and find itself stuck in a less-than-optimal configuration. Rebooting can sometimes address this situation.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top