JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dunno. Only about 300 people are struck by lightening each year and 4.5 million are bitten by a dog. I would imagine that people walking around in thunderstorms carrying a metal object 24/7 would significantly increase their odds of a lightening strike.

Much like living with a dog 24/7 (?). :D

Nothing unexpected ever happens. Until it does. :s0155:
Sure. I knew that dog for five years before kid was born and It was our pack. It wasn't going to harm any of us. Dog in photo is similar—the replacement—and loves all people. He'll fight with a dog though, depending on the dog, so it's my job to prevent that from happening.

Sure. I knew that dog for five years before kid was born and It was our pack. It wasn't going to harm any of us.
It may be a common misconception, but it's not uncommon at all for a dog to become aggressive and will attack other members of their pack. Most often when their own position within the pack hierarchy is challenged or they perceive another member is overstepping their place within the pack. Natural instinct is not always kumbaya-ville.

Stats show that over 70% of those 4.5million dog bites occur in the home with a family pet. Over 87% of fatalities involve children and children bitten by their family pet make up, by far, the largest segment of dog bite victims. Children can be seen as challengers within a dogs "pack", or the dog may think the child is stepping outside it's boundaries. Some other leading causes:

Children may not understand boundaries with pets
Children may not read subtle signs that their pet has had enough attention
Children may not give their pet breathing space when they need it
Children may treat dogs as equals
Children may not recognize when their pet is feeling ill, injured or in pain
Most dogs dislike being hugged

I'm not in the least against dogs as pets. I'm just saying... it seems far too many people live in denial about the fact that their family pet is not capable of complex reasoning and have strong instinctual urges that may unexpectedly drive their actions outside of their norm... or their training.

I would bet good money that of the 70% of those 4.5million people bitten within their homes by their family pets... a vast majority likely said at one time or another, "MY dog would never!...." 🤣

Just like the folks that let their dogs off leash in public with the misguided belief that they have absolute control over their dogs. Right up until they don't.:D

Last Edited:
It may be a common misconception, but it's uncommon at all for a dog to become aggressive and will attack other members of their pack. Most often when their own position within the pack hierarchy is challenged or they perceive another member is overstepping their place within the pack. Natural instinct is not always kumbaya-ville.

Stats show that over 70% of those 4.5million dog bites occur in the home with a family pet. Over 87% of fatalities involve children and children bitten by their family pet make up, by far, the largest segment of dog bite victims. Children can be seen as challengers within a dogs "pack", or the dog may think the child is stepping outside it's boundaries. Some other leading causes:

I'm not in the least against dogs as pets. I'm just saying... it seems far too many people live in denial about the fact that their family pet is not capable of complex reasoning and have strong instinctual urges that may unexpectedly drive their actions outside of their norm... or their training.

I would bet good money that of the 70% of those 4.5million people bitten within their homes by their family pets... a vast majority likely said at one time or another, "MY dog would never!...." 🤣

Just like the folks that let their dogs off leash in public with the misguided belief that they have absolute control over their dogs. Right up until they don't.:D
So 115 grainers?

Dogs owned by morons is why I started carrying in the first place. I quickly grew tired of being a chew toy for their baby who would never hurt anyone.

I still carry several scars from good dogs with lousy owners. Got my first at 7. Guess that bone deep tear in my leg set me on a path of intolerance for agressive dogs.

I avoid off leash parks and if a dog approaches me in a public place. I have a weapon of some kind close to hand and I'm ready to kill "baby" at the first sign of a bite.

It may be a common misconception, but it's uncommon at all for a dog to become aggressive and will attack other members of their pack. Most often when their own position within the pack hierarchy is challenged or they perceive another member is overstepping their place within the pack. Natural instinct is not always kumbaya-ville.

Well..you hit it out of the ball park.

First off..I made some comments about pit bulls that triggered a pretty emotional response. I apologize for that.

Many times our own opinions are formed by first hand experience..right or wrong.

Here's my story..in a nut shell:

Years ago I was married to a women who's ex-husband was a cop. Nice guy..somewhat agressive. Alpha male type. They had three young boys together, 10, 12 and 15..all of whom lived with their father.

One night, 11 PM or so, we got a text from her EX that my wife's youngest son was in the emergency room and had been attacked by a pit bull. We rushed down there and met up with her EX. The story goes that the three boys were wrestling in the living room, and a pit bull that they were babysitting for the week (the cop's new wife's brothers dog) lunged into the youngest boy and attacked, separating one of his thigh muscles. It was a gruesome bite.

The wifes ex was in a real emotional state, crying, and kept repeating.."I should have known better".."I respond to these all the time" (referring to pit attacks). He wanted to shoot the dog on the spot after the attack, but was restrained from doing so by another officer.

That's it. One traumatized kid..won't be around dogs at all..probably the rest of his life. The history and the background of the pit was the same you hear everywhere else. Never harmed a soul, family pet..etc etc.

And @Yarome, you're probably right in every sense. Pack mentality, who know's how the boys were actually 'playing'. All third-hand. But from what we know, the owner of that pit was not a bad guy. they all just put the wrong dog in the wrong situation.

The kid fully recovered physically btw.

Here is a statistic that goes with what you are saying about children.

To be fair, that list covers 44 years. That's an average of six per year. Too many, but hardly the amount the stat implies. There are a hell of a lot of other things that kill more than six kids a year.
For the record I don't have and never will have a pit bull. However, we need to look at the facts objectively.

Here is an archive of pitbull kills in USA
Almost 40 killings in 2023 alone.

Thousands of children are hurt and die in car accidents but I haven't seen a vehicle put down for it's action in the matter ........
But there are sure a lot of drivers that kill, survive with barely a scratch themselves... and deserve to be put down...

Just sayin.... :s0155:

Dogs are dogs, people are people. They both can do "uncharacteristic" things seemingly out of the blue. They were both such sweet things until they weren't, but their breed/race had very little to do with it. Maybe proper parenting/training would've made the difference.

I wonder how many children have been molested by trusted family members or friends compared to dog bites? And will a 9mm work in both cases?

Well..you hit it out of the ball park.

First off..I made some comments about pit bulls that triggered a pretty emotional response. I apologize for that.

Many times our own opinions are formed by first hand experience..right or wrong.

Here's my story..in a nut shell:

Years ago I was married to a women who's ex-husband was a cop. Nice guy..somewhat agressive. Alpha male type. They had three young boys together, 10, 12 and 15..all of whom lived with their father.

One night, 11 PM or so, we got a text from her EX that my wife's youngest son was in the emergency room and had been attacked by a pit bull. We rushed down there and met up with her EX. The story goes that the three boys were wrestling in the living room, and a pit bull that they were babysitting for the week (the cop's new wife's brothers dog) lunged into the youngest boy and attacked, separating one of his thigh muscles. It was a gruesome bite.

The wifes ex was in a real emotional state, crying, and kept repeating.."I should have known better".."I respond to these all the time" (referring to pit attacks). He wanted to shoot the dog on the spot after the attack, but was restrained from doing so by another officer.

That's it. One traumatized kid..won't be around dogs at all..probably the rest of his life. The history and the background of the pit was the same you hear everywhere else. Never harmed a soul, family pet..etc etc.

And @Yarome, you're probably right in every sense. Pack mentality, who know's how the boys were actually 'playing'. All third-hand. But from what we know, the owner of that pit was not a bad guy. they all just put the wrong dog in the wrong situation.

The kid fully recovered physically btw.
That's pretty brutal and must have been heart breaking.

This conversation has had me doing more research because I learned a long time ago to never stop learning.

One thing I found from a ex police dog trainer and now professional dog trainer is to use your leash and loop it around the aggressive dogs neck and choke it out - the reason for not doing this another way is because when the dog wakes up you want that leash around it's neck and not to have just done it with your hands or arm. That's hugely situational though so I'd still probably go tazer or mace.

Second I found that as dogs age they will grow more into their breed's characteristics and when young are often playful and happy to see strangers, while guarding breeds especially can become more aloof and less friendly towards strangers. Something I had not heard of before. Which lends credence to 'my dog was never like that before'.

Third, small dogs bite much more often then large dogs but once you hit a certain amount of size and bite force, you start running the chance of massive damage vs a small dog may draw a little blood from a viscous attack while a big dog may cause serious damage unintentionally.

It's my thoughts that pits (being a combination of multiple breeds) are more common then most other large breeds and thus just by the numbers are likely to be part of an incident.

The UK should be used for reference because Staffys are massively popular their compared to here and something like 80% end up in shelters because the owners do not train them properly.

I still think it is the owners responsibility to have their dog on leash, never leave a dog with kids unattended and always prepare for the worst (kinda like conceal carry).

I have friends who have owned pits while their daughter is growing up and others that have all had great things to say about the breed.

@Indy62 my apologies for becoming to invested in this topic. Everyone deserves to have their own opinions.

Side story time - when I got my Rottweiler my daughter was 3. That dog was trained to not react to anything. I gave her things then took them away. Taught her that she was never to rough house with anyone but me period. My toddler mauled that dog and she took it all day long until she had had enough and then she and my daughter knew that when the dog was in her crate (door open or closed) that the dog was to be left alone period and no exceptions.

The only time that dog bit me (well put her mouth around my calf and started growling very aggressively was when I had my wife pinned on the couch and was tickling her to the point she was making sounds that the dog took as distress and she stepped in. Even though she was more or less my dog.

From that point on when the wife and I would wrestle (not that kind you people with your minds in your dirty mags) the dog had to be in the crate because she was excessively protective of my wife and my daughter. I guess she figured I could handle myself because she never acted like that towards anyone I was dealing with.

Prior to that first incident I would have sworn that dog would never ever show any type of aggression towards me for any reason. I was wrong and Rots have almost twice the bite force of the standard pit - she could have crushed my leg bones if she was so inclined.

Still to this day the best trained dog I've ever had and I have had some great ones.

When a dog regardless of breed attacks a 2nd time it's time to pay the pipper.
When pets attack most owners are in denial.
THIS!!!
Almost every damn time some dog does real harm the song and dance done by owners who claim dog never did this turns out to be complete fabrication. The real story is almost every damn time the dog had been a problem multiple times and owner just ignored it till it was too late. Even after many of these dogs badly attack many owners will try to run and hide the damn dog.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top