JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Zore is a Jerusalem-based startup that has built a smart gun lock. Through a connection to an app on your phone, the Zore X lets the user unlock the gun remotely, as well as monitor movement of the gun if it's within Bluetooth range.

However, in the case of an emergency, many of us don't want to be fiddling with our smartphone just to unlock a gun, which is otherwise useless, when confronted with an attacker.

Zore X is a smart gun lock that raised almost $250K on Indiegogo (https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/04/zore-x-is-a-smart-gun-lock-that-raised-almost-250k-on-indiegogo/)

I have a hard time finding a use for this...

Edit: especially after trying so hard to keep my safes analog. The last thing I want is my guns hooked to a government spy tool.

I think they are trying for the market where there are young children at home.

I live alone, and my children are adults who understand gun safety.

So I don't need a gun lock like this, but maybe someone else could use it.

You probably don't need to connect it to your smartphone to use it. It is bluetooth, so if you never pair it, then it probably would not connect, and since it is BT, it would only connect when you are in range, and/or you would never install their app. You simply would not buy the BT-WiFi bridge and then it would not be online when you are not in BT range (33 to 100 feet depending on the BT).

tumblr_munw3leTze1qg8i80o1_540.png

Interesting idea, I like that they're thinking about new concepts. But as far as trusting tech like this myself, I'll pass. I see tech fail all the time. Until and unless they could prove this device (along with the smartphone) to be 100% functional 100% of the time, I'd not put it on my guns. I'll stick with mechanical locks for myself.

I'm all for innovation but I cant see any practical application for this that isn't already covered for well under 100 bucks with a multitude of clamshell lock boxes available. If your worried about fast access or keyless entry, for a little more money some of the lock boxes have electronic keypads. As far as I'm concerned, if your going to leave your gun at home it needs to be locked up in a real safe. Being notified "anywhere in the world" your gun is being tampered with is too late, put your money in a surveillance system.

I don't even like the electronic handgun safes... For a little more money you can get one with 'real' buttons that are all mechanical.

Electric parts, even brand new ones will eventually fail;often sooner then later.

Mechanical parts generally need a catastrophic event to malfunction.

This is after almost 20 years installing, repairing, maintaining and replacing electrical parts for a living. There is rarely a rhyme or reason to electrical parts failing (although certain things are always a consideration - moisture, heat or cold, dust etc).

I agree mechanical combination locks are the way to go. I'm not a big fan of key locks either.

The problem with ideas like the Zore X lock is its an attempt to replace common sense with technology.... what could go wrong. Replacing one thing that can fail with a different thing that can fail is not an improvement. If you got kids you don't want finding your gun, then don't leave it lying around.

I like this. The mechanical locking device is great. Not too interested in the Bluetooth awareness feature. Just the concept on how it locks. Sounds great.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top