JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My project is a 1963 F100 4x4 with Allison transfer case and low giving it amazing torque. Motor is a 312 y block soon to have a four barrel. Has an full 8 foot farmer's box will flared fenders and a factory jerry can holder. Can fit a full 8x4 sheet of plywood in the bed. Since gas mileage sucks will add 20 to 30 gallon saddle tanks. Engine has only 8k on it. I am thinking a RR tie for a front bumper.
Dad bought in 1963 from the Ford factory. Wrecked in the early 80s I put a new front end on and am getting it back fully operational one of these days.

Brutus out

I would want something more reliable, although I admit to Jeep lust. It crops up on times where my own car is getting trashed. One time I was coming down a total crap road in my Honda 4wd CRV, in typical fashion beating up the undercarriage. (The fast lube places would not change my oil as the oil pan was so flattened from bumping on rocks) As we got to the base of the hill, there was a caravan of 4 x 4's parked and unloading ATV's apparently intending to head up right where we were coming down. I wouldn't have given it another thought except that all four or five of them just stopped an stared at us, mouths open. It took me a while to clue in that they were surprised I was coming down that hill in my commuter car. I loved the reliability and the gas mileage- which rarely dipped below 26 MPG except for times like that.

Anyway, good luck with the Jeep, good looking rig, but hopefully it doesn't stay that clean:)

af-workshop.jpg

Don't know what it is but it looks cool!:rolleyes:

th?id=OIP.Mbab6e369dab81a17a56ebed2af349753o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=244&h=154.jpg
This is virtually identical to the Troopie I owned in OZ, mine had a Bull Bar, standard rims and a slightly different roof rack w/ a heavy guage wire mesh that made bungi cording all my excess gear to the rack a breeez. I had bucket seats from a junk yard and no rear seats but an elevated box where I stored tools and canned goods, we had a matress on top of the plywood box and curtains on the side windows. We bought nylon insect screening that we draped over the door windows so we had ventilation at night, dual fuel tanks, after mkt AC. 4 speed/ gas mtr. I carried 27 gallons of water and had a 3-way fridge w/20 pound propane bottle bungie corded in place under the rear, Left (driver side) window, the fridge would run well, even when driving dirt roads, we would pack it with frozen food like chicken and frozen giant shrimp which would stay frozen for a week as well as the ubiquitous pumpkins, an outback staple. We carried a 5 man tent as well as a screen tent, jerry can, spare tires, carpet stolen from a dump (for the screen tent) stove and camp gear.
I averaged 14 MPG but the diesel version w/5 speed got 20 +MPG!
Were I to do it over again I would have opted for a 4-door diesel version and a rear mounted winch;)

Last Edited:
Oh heck yeah! Love that troopy! I like how you "used" it too, just like it was supposed to.

I drove all way round Australia w/it, only had to replace the motor once, in Perth, when main bearings went out. I did have to re-plumb the extra fuel tank early on as it had no vent!
Rebuilt the fuel pump along a dirt track in W. A. near a gorge, on the way to Darwin, NT. Oh the Drama that caused wit Trouble and Strife!:oops::oops:
The 7.50X16 tires, I used had terrible floatation unless dropped down to 3 PSI (I had tubes in my tubeless tires, a life saver) On the plus side all 16 inch tires in OZ were 10 ply, steel belted and unlike the big 'off road' tires they had thick side walls. I met several PPL that had ripped the sidewalls out of their Korean 'off road' tires out in the bush, driving in "normal conditions" at reasonable speeds:confused:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top