JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love Jeeps but if I had to pick one vehicle for any kind of "survival" situation it would be a Dodge 4wd Truck, 12 Valve Cummins powered with a manual transmission. You can't beat the longevity or durability and if you for some reason needed spare parts they are sitting all over the place. The gas powered Dodges are a dime a dozen if you need body parts etc. and the 12 V Cummins was used in buses, skidders, back hoes, generators, etc. etc. etc. etc.
I'd forgo the 24V and Common Rail Cummins just because of the extra complexity of being computer controlled engines and you don't need a "scanner" to figure out what's wrong with them if they go bad. If it doesn't start it's eather not getting fuel or air, it's as simple as that.
You want an '89- early '98 12V, you don't even need electricity to start or keep one running if you have a manual trans.

My next choice would be A Ford F-350 with an older IDI engine, preferably a '93-'94 with the IDI Turbo Diesel. I have two of these and they are GREAT trucks. Not as fool proof as the Cummins but the Ford truck has an edge in durability over the Dodge.

I hate to say it but the older GM diesels just aren't up to par and the Duramax is too complicated for long-term, no dealership "survival. If you just HAVE to have a Chevy get a '92-'93 6.5 turbo Diesel with the manual transmission (NV4500, great trans.) as it's all mechanical controlled. You will get the GM floppy independent front axle though and nobody likes those.

PLUS, these old diesels with run on used motor oil, transmission fluid, the oil out of those big cans on the power lines, vegetable oil, penut oil or just about any other kind of oil you can find. Just go around and drain all of the motor oil and transmission fluid out fo the abandoned cars and trucks and shoot a hole in the powerline transformers and let it drain into your container. We won't have any electricity anyway.

I agree with the Jeep thing.....they are money pits. My son and I bought this nice little Jeep 3 or 4 years ago for $5500..... DSCN0096.JPG

I thought it would be fun to tool around with out the top on nice summer days. My son had other ideas.....$10,000 dollars or so later it looks like this.......

15511981396_1ce9be6aa7_b.jpg

I have to admit though, it is pretty fun taking that thing out....

Any 4x4 is going to cost you significant disposable income if you take it out 4 wheeling, especially rock crawling or mud holing.

Axles, diffs and drivelines break. Bodywork gets crushed, windows, lights and mirrors broken. Transmissions can break or overheat. Clutches can wear out. Engines overheat, etc.

Going out and running a rig into the ground, fixing and improving what you break until it is much harder to break it, improving its capabilities, learning how to drive off-road, how not to get stuck, how to get unstuck, how to fix almost anything on the rig with duct tape, zip ties, rocks and branches and a pair of pliers - that is not a bad way to wind up with a decent off-roading rig and the experience to know what it can and cannot do. It can even be fun.

But it can also be fairly expensive and time consuming.

I've built a few rigs. My current 4x4s are purely stock at this point in time. One rig (1 ton Dodge 4x4 with Cummins) will get turned into an RV, the other will get some minor tweaks and mostly stay at home for a run around rig.

The serious off-road vehicles are my dirt bikes. Much cheaper, much more capable, and harder to break.

We have a 5-1/2" Rock Krawler suspension on my wife's 1999 Grand Cherokee, which sits unused on its 255/85R16 Rubber (the WJ lacks fender clearance for more than 33" inch rubber, even with a lift).

Truth be told, when the little Corolla won't hack it (even with a trailer) and the job is too big for the old ex-cop Crown Victoria (with push bars, spotlights and AirLifts in the rear coils), it's time to dust off the old 4x4 F250. A good heavy duty 4x4 pickup is probably the most useful vehicle when there's serious work to be done. Get one that's old enough , and you may not have to replace factory issued tinfoil with real bumpers.

Of couse AFTER it hits the fan, you may prefer a Honda CT90 for local transport...

A Zompocalypse Bugout vehicle is a personal choice based on personal needs. My old cop car with push bars might be good for Getting Out of Dodge on paved roads, but I'm already rural and am oriented more toward "bugging in." Once out in the boonies, your needs change. Are you moving multiple people, tons of firewood and supplies, or just transporting yourself while using as little fuel and attracting as little attention as possible?

Last Edited:
Each vehicle has its pluses and minuses.

My 1 ton can act as a standin for a tractor at times; if I need to pull a log out of a pile of logs, you can hardly feel that it is pulling that weight, whereas the Toyota feels like you are trying to pull a concrete building and it will just stop and then sit there and spin - the Dodge weighing almost 3 times what the Toyota weighs with twice the HP and 3 times the torque at half the RPM. The 1 ton also can haul a lot more volume and weight.

Conversely, the Dodge is much easier to get stuck, and harder to maneuver. The Toyota just bounces over stuff in my woods, where the Dodge tries to plow through it and makes big ruts.

Then there are the dirt bikes, which will go places that the trucks can't even attempt to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top