JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do structural engineering for a living (Im an unlicensed tech to be exact, but working on getting licensed)

Anyways, I just got a new plan in that I am working on and it has listed on the plan.

A fold out shelving unit in the kitchen pantry that leads down some stairs to what they called a "Zombie Shelter" its a 12'x12' concrete room (9' tall), they have a 12" thick concrete walls, floors, and ceiling specs out, with a double mat of #5 rebar @ 8" on center each way! Also a note says to allow a 4'x8' opening for steel door!

These guys are getting prepared for real!

I just emailed the wife and told her about it and sarcastically she responded.

"when we go house shopping we will ask the agent if they have any homes available with a zombie shelter, that is unless you think it sounds stupid when I put it that way"

:s0112::s0112::s0112:

Sounds like a good idea.

I found that this trench idea worked well for a house surround. I'd rather have my whole house to live in vs just a 9x9x12 box.

Zombies can't jump nor use reason on how to overcome the gap, fall in the hole and they can't get out. Venus zombie trap.

zombietrench.jpg

Just make sure the exit door opens INWARD! An outward opening door could easily be blocked by debris, or piles of corpses. It would be ironic to survive but still be trapped inside your survival shelter!

Also, you would need a remote, hidden air intake/exhaust for ventilation. The smell of rotting flesh outside should be avoided.....................elsullo :D

If enough zombies piled up in and around that pit I could see them coming over. Kind of like how ants will sacrifice themselves to get across water. What if you had flowing water in it? maybe an incinerator system? I just wouldn't want to be the guy that had to go out and clear bodies out so they didn't pile up.
Kyle

Sounds like a good idea.

I found that this trench idea worked well for a house surround. I'd rather have my whole house to live in vs just a 9x9x12 box.

Zombies can't jump nor use reason on how to overcome the gap, fall in the hole and they can't get out. Venus zombie trap.

Flowing water sounds good. With that idea.. I'll post up another drawing soon.

Average human is about 12" deep?

Would require: 16 bodies vertically stacked.

Even then... 16x15x14...... 3x2x1 = 136.

to make adequate stepping. Factor in a shoring or stepping along the sides...
To have one achieve victory over the top of the moat would probably require at least 200 bodies.

Taking into consideration that since this is all hypothetical and that I haven't built my house yet which will be out in the sticks... 200 could be the population of the nearest postal zipcode. Remove reason and unity from them...

I thought it was a good idea. (failed to insert razor wire @ top of ramp)

I'm full of a lot of things people tell me. I'm just about crazy enough to believe them.

Edit:
Would require:
16x7x6x5x4x3x2x1 Number needed just went down. Big time.

Best way for the zombie shelter is to go back to childhood, tree fort style! No need for a bajillion pounds of concrete, just a nice little 1-room built on a sturdy wooden stilt-frame (not sure what that's actually called but thats the closest term I can think of)
Down for bombs, up for walking corpses :p

Oh yea, to keep going with back to child-hood, rope ladders. Best way to train up for a zombie situation is to get a friend to volunteer to help, you just have to talk him into getting a full frontal lobotomy and trying to break in to your house

I think I have too much spare time on my hands.

zombietrench2.jpg

Final thoughts.
10' trench. 7' of water. (which is enough to where you'd have to tread) 3' gap to above, so no jumping off bottom of trench to grab and get out. Water in said trench would prevent the stacking ability for quite some time. Would require a stockpile of lime though.....

I believe best survival method is to keep said zombies from gaining entry to castle.

I disagree with the whole moat idea, eventually there will be enough bodies in it that they will just climb on top of each other or walk across each other. Unless there was an incinerator system there to destroy all the bodies and leave nothing but ash, this would be a short term solution. A better solution would be to do this and to have a wall (20') on the outside of it. Think a castle, but backwards, wall with gate, then moat with drawbridge. This would keep them out and then if they did manage to climb over they would fall in the moat, this would double your defenses and make it last longer. Also the incinerator system could be something as simple as a couple barrels of gas hooked to a sprinker system that could be manually pumped and then a match.

I disagree with the whole moat idea, eventually there will be enough bodies in it that they will just climb on top of each other
Zombies can't jump nor use reason on how to overcome the gap

Good grief, where do you all live? Are there really this many zombies?
If they cant reason, would a well built barbwire fence not keep them at bay?
Maybe a few alligators on chains.
Seems more financially reasonable to me.

You can't stop zombies with violence or walls. They are just misunderstood. Maybe if you open your doors and allow them into your home, you will find that we aren't all that different after all.

As I stated earlier.
I have too much time on my hands while recovering........

I'll quit postwhoring it up in this thread after this one.

zombiefence.jpg

I got to thinking..

Why not... 20' high fence. Two of them. One next to the other. Chain link. Each 'fence' has a space between it's self. 4' wide or so. So in essence you have 4 fences. Thick razor wire on the top of each layer.

First fence. 4' then other. 8' between 2nd set.
Light pole in front of turret. This way there's no vision behind the fences at night if you flip the lights on. Night blindness.

Cheaper than the moat idea.

Turret tower: 50 yards minimum from fence. no more than 100. Trip wire laced distance between turret's nest and fences. Enough of a deterrent so you could sleep and not really have to worry about anyone getting through. (red area)

Looks good. Can the light be motion activated? This might get the neighbors testy having it on all night.
Could the fence be electrified for convenience such as dinner time, holidays, football games or romantic minutes when the turret just cant be manned?
A vacuum transfer tube like the bank drivethroughs for mail, newspaper and pizza deliveries would be make sense as well.

If they cant reason, would a well built barbwire fence not keep them at bay?
Maybe a few alligators on chains.
Seems more financially reasonable to me.
They can't climb fences or ladders or anything, but if enough bodies pile up they can walk/crawl over them and eventually make it over.
Why not... 20' high fence. Two of them. One next to the other. Chain link. Each 'fence' has a space between it's self. 4' wide or so. So in essence you have 4 fences. Thick razor wire on the top of each layer.
How do 2 fences = 4 fences?
Turret tower: 50 yards minimum from fence. no more than 100. Trip wire laced distance between turret's nest and fences. Enough of a deterrent so you could sleep and not really have to worry about anyone getting through. (red area)
Like laced with landmines or something? Keep in mind that only headshots kill, trip wires with explosives only make a difference when it can guarantee a headshot.

I think tripwires hooked up to those gopher traps (the kind with the shotshell on a tripwire) would be good placed at head height throughout that area.
Looks good. Can the light be motion activated? This might get the neighbors testy having it on all night.
Could the fence be electrified for convenience such as dinner time, holidays, football games or romantic minutes when the turret just cant be manned?
A vacuum transfer tube like the bank drivethroughs for mail, newspaper and pizza deliveries would be make sense as well.
Neighbors? What Neighbors? Chances are they are the first wave that will be trying to get in.

Electrified would be nice, but keep in mind power will probably be shut off soon after and having that much voltage stored in batteries would only be good for a few initial shocks not to mention cost would be huge.

Mail? Newspaper? Pizza? The world at this point will have gone to bubblegum, I doubt the paperboy on his bike and the pizza guy making $5/hr are really concerned about risking their life to get you your stuff, the mail will probably run for another week or so until all mailmen get turned.

If the outbreak begins in China there could be a LOT of zombies! Ok, I don't know how they would get to North America, but I'm not taking any chances.

For over here on the wet side I still like the idea of a huge blackberry hedge around the property as the first line of defense. Plus, you would have a food supply (before they got contaminated with zombie guts and tissue). But, since one has to get in and out of the property, I think the best thing to do is have a nice narrow driveway leading up to the house/bunker. The driveway narrows to a path about 3' wide with walls on both sides. You block the path with a commercial grade wood chipper hooked to your vehicle for easy maneuvering in time of need. Zombies would hobble up the path because it is the line of least resistance - right into the wood chipper.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top