JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
A few weeks ago I was confronted by a suruban commando that was just sure I was up to no good. When he asked me what I was doing, I replied that I was "minding my own business, I suggest you do the same." After listening to him rant and rave for a few minutes I decided to call the cops.
Good job!
Now, what do you suppose would have happened if Trayvon had called the cops with his phone, instead of his girlfriend?
Police: "9-1-1, what is your emergency?"
Trayvon: "There's some dude following me,"

I don't know about you, but I'll bet the ensuing conversation(s) would have resolved the situation without any bruises, cuts, or loss of life.

"minding my own business, I suggest you do the same." After listening to him rant and rave for a few minutes I decided to call the cops.
I agree you did the right thing with an essentially similar situation. I am surprised someone would even do something like this given the the current situation is so 'hot'.

My take is that Zimmerman would have been arrested and charged immediately if it were here in Oregon. His opponent was unarmed, and there was no major physical disparity. Zimmerman initiated the situation by following his opponent. If Zimmerman was walking back to his vehicle that doesn't mean his opponent didn't still feel threatened.

No, the only way that Zimmerman would be justified in Oregon for his actions is if his opponent's behavior amounted to attempted murder, or assault with a deadly weapon. The only way I see that happening, given what we've been told, is that the opponent was trying to get control of Zimmerman's gun. In that case I can see a glimmer of hope for use of deadly force in self defense.

What will be sad is if Zimmerman is let off due to the Stand Your Ground law. If that happens I guarantee you it will be repealed in Florida and never stand a chance of being passed most other places. We will all lose some of our the ability to defend ourselves and our property due to the stupid choices Zimmerman made.

Trayyvon was much younger, bigger, violently attacked Zimmerman and he was carrying burglars tools and stolen jewels in his backpack. he was scum. I will never miss him

A screwdriver is now a 'burglar's tool'? What, then, does that make my Leatherman? I wish I knew how to pick a lock, that knowledge would have saved me hundreds over my lifetime. Especially with today's cars.

Though I still refuse to decide who is the aggressor or the victim in this case, why do people keep saying that Zimmerman had no business following him? First, I don't believe that "following" someone for a few blocks is a crime that requires a defense. Second, why does everyone that suggests he had "no right"(?) to follow him also leave out the fact that he is the neighborhood watch on patrol in a gated community. He didn't just pick a street in a neighborhood and decide that he was setting up his own personal Batcave there. He was not only a watchman, but a watchman on patrol. I can't imagine the confrontations if everyone in downtown Portland or Seattle was "harrassing" someone every time they followed them for a few blocks. As far as I am concerned, if the screaming, pleading voice on the 911 call is Trayvon's, hang Zimmerman publicly. If the voice is Zimmerman's, I hope the powers that be send the bill to the Martin family. More than anything, this kind of racism can't go on. Every time that I process a brown guy shooting a black guy, but the white folks are on trial in the court of public opinion, I feel like my head will explode. Kip.

A screwdriver is now a 'burglar's tool'? What, then, does that make my Leatherman? I wish I knew how to pick a lock, that knowledge would have saved me hundreds over my lifetime. Especially with today's cars.

You bet it is in conjunction with women's jewelry in a backpack

Good job!
Now, what do you suppose would have happened if Trayvon had called the cops with his phone, instead of his girlfriend?
I don't know about you, but I'll bet the ensuing conversation(s) would have resolved the situation without any bruises, cuts, or loss of life.

Doubtful. Zimmerman, who I believe was the aggressor, was already on the phone with police and look how much good that did.
If they guy had laid a hand on me before the police arrived the outcome could have been much different.

Trayyvon was much younger, bigger, violently attacked Zimmerman and he was carrying burglars tools and stolen jewels in his backpack. he was scum. I will never miss him

Wow, wild assumptions thrown in with false information.
I'll never miss him either, but that's because I never knew him.

SANFORD, Fla. — Women's jewelry and a watch found in Trayvon Martin's school backpack last fall could not be tied to any reported thefts, the Miami-Dade Police Department said Tuesday.

The Miami Herald in its Tuesday editions reported that it had obtained a Miami-Dade Schools Police Department report that showed the slain teenager was suspended in October for writing obscene graffiti on a door at his high school. During a search of his backpack, the report said, campus security officers found 12 pieces of women's jewelry, a watch and a screwdriver they felt could be used as a burglary tool.

They found jewelry and a screw driver 5 months before the zimmerman incident and couldnt tie it to any crimes.
<broken link removed>

So the person he robbed did not report it or it was from another jurisdiction or was taken as pay for drugs or something. He was scum

So the person he robbed did not report it or it was from another jurisdiction or was taken as pay for drugs or something. He was scum

Or they werent stolen.
It's clear you've passed your judgement, facts be damned.

Even if they were stolen, it has no bearing on the case at hand. Even if Martin did have those items on him at the time of death, Zimmerman would have to be clairvoyant for it to be relevant.

Zimmerman didnt chase the kid down in his car and on foot because the contents of his backpack. As of now, there's no evidence that Martin was even wearing a backpack.

Nothing Martin was doing that night warranted a chase or a confrontation, both of which lead to the resulting gunshot.

Though I still refuse to decide who is the aggressor or the victim in this case, why do people keep saying that Zimmerman had no business following him? First, I don't believe that "following" someone for a few blocks is a crime that requires a defense. Second, why does everyone that suggests he had "no right"(?) to follow him also leave out the fact that he is the neighborhood watch on patrol in a gated community. He didn't just pick a street in a neighborhood and decide that he was setting up his own personal Batcave there. He was not only a watchman, but a watchman on patrol. I can't imagine the confrontations if everyone in downtown Portland or Seattle was "harrassing" someone every time they followed them for a few blocks. As far as I am concerned, if the screaming, pleading voice on the 911 call is Trayvon's, hang Zimmerman publicly. If the voice is Zimmerman's, I hope the powers that be send the bill to the Martin family. More than anything, this kind of racism can't go on. Every time that I process a brown guy shooting a black guy, but the white folks are on trial in the court of public opinion, I feel like my head will explode. Kip.

We're not talking about someone who's taking the same turns as you on your drive home.

When someone follows you slowly in their car and you're alone, walking at night, that's reason to be worried.
When that same person then jumps out of his car and begins running at you, that's an act of aggression.

People on this forum love to talk about situational awareness. Well here's a good example.
I highly doubt that anyone here would interpret a grown man following you and then silently running at you in the middle of the night, as anything but an act of aggression.

Wow, wild assumptions thrown in with false information.
I'll never miss him either, but that's because I never knew him.

The deceased was about 10 years younger, much taller and bigger. I was dead on the money and you are being an apologist for a scumbag

That is why anyone who has a Twitter or Facebook account should wake the hell up. At least when the authorities want to know everything about you, make them spend a hour or two. With social networking, within minutes they know the last time you farted.

Agreed.. I never use my real name on any interactive site except a forum like this, and then only with those I befriend or sell an item to

Or they werent stolen.
It's clear you've passed your judgement, facts be damned.

Even if they were stolen, it has no bearing on the case at hand. Even if Martin did have those items on him at the time of death, Zimmerman would have to be clairvoyant for it to be relevant.

Zimmerman didnt chase the kid down in his car and on foot because the contents of his backpack. As of now, there's no evidence that Martin was even wearing a backpack.

Nothing Martin was doing that night warranted a chase or a confrontation, both of which lead to the resulting gunshot.

You must be a lawyer

Guys, I've already deleted two posts for personal attacks. I realize this is a highly charged issue and emotions are elevated, but if this thread degenerates into another pissing match I will close it. Keep it civil.

Someone must be a minority and I hurt someones feelings.
My post was erased.
Heck this may be too

People on this forum love to talk about situational awareness. Well here's a good example.
I highly doubt that anyone here would interpret a grown man following you and then silently running at you in the middle of the night, as anything but an act of aggression.

OK If a guy is stupid enough to take a short cut through a gated community and looks like the perps that have been breaking into peoples' homes,he deserves to be followed and if he is above board,would stop and tell the person following him where he was going.

IT IS CALLED RESPECT for others' property.
A person saying they would go after the guy following them,IN HIS OWN neighborhood,shows that that person has no respect for others' property.

I can't imagine a respectful adult getting upset if a neighborhood watch was following them.
If they were in a gated community.

I might,after telling them the house number,tell them how much I liked how they watched their neighborhood and that they weren't afraid to do the right thing.

Is that a better way of stating it ,mods???

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads