JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I have been, on and off, looking for a rifle in 9.3x62㎜ Mauser. A new CZ springs to mind. However, whilst traipsing about Gunbroker tonight, I came upon a vintage Zella Mehlis in the aforementioned. What it is going for appears reasonable (starting bid $675). That said I am largely unfamiliar with this make, beyond an admittedly cursory understanding.

pix773878512.jpg

pix908087795.jpg

pix484658146.jpg

pix639423826.jpg

pix784964906.jpg

pix788634877.jpg

Thoughts on this one? Thanks!

Zella-Mehlis is a place name. There were a number of firearms manufacturers there at one time, including Walther. You might have to see what is under the forward scope mount as to which company actually made it. Those holes for mounts in the receiver, doubt it was made with those. Bolt handle appears to have been worked on. This rifle likely left the factory with open sights, bolt handle not profiled to fit under a scope. These alterations might take away from the value. Just saying.

The stock is interesting, very European contour. Note the hefty reinforcement under the receiver. Extra thick wood in that area. Fourth picture down shows what looks like a Nazi era proof. I'd want to know more about the markings, try to find out if this was originally built as a commercial rifle or if it was a former military receiver that had been re-purposed. I cannot tell from these pics, maybe someone else here can.

Many German built sporting rifles of the M98 design were made using surplus actions in the 1920's and 30's....
Many were also made just after WWII for GI's in the Occupying force areas
This to my eye looks very much like a Sporting rifle of that era , excluding the recoil pad.
Andy

Those late cheap mounts need to go, holes filled, and the irons restored, pad removed and a steel butt installed!
I know a guy who would love to handle all that for ya! Lives and works some place outta Estacada!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top