JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone point me down the right road? I took out a Yugoslovian SKS 7.62x39 to the range today. I fired 3 brands of ammo through it and was having feeding problems. Where the fired round would not come all the way and jam. Also the rounds were not going off at all and the wolf ammo was the worst of the 3 brands. All the ammo I was using was bought some time last year so its not to old. The firing pin would make and good mark on the round so I know it was striking it. Any help would be great it was a long day at the range with a gun like this. I just stripped it down and cleaned it top to bottom last week so I dont think it was to dirty. :huh::huh::huh::huh:

you might check the firing pin. I think I remember reading something about SKS's - you need to make sure the firing pin moves freely back and forth and not sticking. I have a Norinco SKS - haven't had a problem - but I was doing some related SKS reading. This might not be related to what you are experiencing with the no-fires at all. Some SKSs can be funny about the particular magazine used as well. Some of the aftermarket magazines are problematic.

I know the gas tube is turned all the way to the right I checked that. I even moved it to the left and tried it just to make sure. :confused: maybe I will tell the wife its broke for good and pick up a new rifle :D:D:D

It sounds like you have 2 potential issues:

1) Rounds not ejecting cleanly (i.e. rounds not coming out all the way after firing).

2) Failure to Fires

There may be a couple of different fixes.

a) Remember that this is a surplus gun. As originally sold in the U.S. these things were covered in VERY thick cosmoline. You could have a lot of this stuff built up in the firing pin chamber, bolt rails, chamber, etc. Make sure this is all gone. Brake cleaner works okay, a steamer works well (melting point of cosmo is only 180F or so). If there's enough cosmo in the firing pin chamber, it may be slowing down the hammer or firing pin to keep it from smacking the primer hard enough. It could, instead, be "pushing" it.

b) One of the semi-common things with Yugos comes from a leaky gas regulator seal. Since this rifle was used with corrosive ammo, it can eat through the seal and cause too little gas to come back and cycle the gun well. There is an easy fix here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=171213 or http://tinyurl.com/ybhg3d9

c) And then there's just checking it's assembled properly. When I purchased an SKS from an individual, I noticed the recoil spring was in backwards, the squigly part needs to be in the bolt carrier.. Check here for a great guide on disassembly and reassembly of everything surplus related. Even with picture instructions I can follow! =) http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

I'm betting it's one of these problems that can be easily fixed.

Check the ejector on the right side of the bolt it can pick up a lot of crud and is hard to remove (I just use spray can gun cleaner on it, it needs to move free without a gritty feeling). Check that the attached magazine was correctly attached, it needs to be put in place before the trigger assembly is put in, and even then on my Norinco can slip out of the front tang that holds it up in front. The front of the Mag must be as high as possible as viewed through the ejector port.

As stated before the fireing pin must move freely back and forth, I use spray cleaner on this too. If the pin gets stuck forward the SKS can go full auto.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post NoAim your links were dead on today. You helped turn my buddy's Yugo sks from a $125.00 pawn shop beater into a functioning rifle again. $0.30 well spent at Lowe's!!!! Thanks for the advice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top