JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So got a few barrels for a Yugo m24/47. Been debating on getting this done, is it better to find a local gunsmith or ship to a well known one? If the latter, who do you recommend?

And should I replace or try a recrown first? I already know the first inch (from muzzle end) is pretty weak in rifling, and don't feel like going any shorter than that.

Most gunsmiths should be able to swap the barrel. Worst case scenario is having to touch the shoulders on a lathe to line up witness marks (if keeping original sights), and maybe handturning a finish reamer in the chamber. Local guys should be able to handle it.
I have a 1895 Mauser barrel in my lathe at the moment for the same purpose, and a few 98k to be rebarreled at some point as well. I'm just a hobby level machinist at this point (way out of practice), and it's not a job that intimidates me.

The barrel I intend to use already has the sights on it. I'm picky with gunsmiths, there's a lot of them locally but they seem to be mostly for ARs, and maybe AKs.

Yeah, you just have to find a gunsmith rather than an armorer.

Too many guys have opened shops over the last decade under the guise of only working on guns like the AR, the 10/22, and others. Guns that don't really require much fitting or the like, but rather just require assembly.

Sadly, they call themselves gunsmiths rather than the much more fitting and accurate term of armorer. Nothing wrong with either profession, but it's confusing to the customer.

In Germany, to call yourself a gunsmith requires an eight-year full-time apprenticeship, at the end of which you make a double rifle, or combination gun, from scratch.

One of the early tests is making a ball from a cube, and a cube from a ball - of different metals. You then make them back again.

tac

At this point I wonder if I should refrain from drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope as well. My main goal atm is just get the barrel replaced though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top