Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

YUGO M70

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Apr 14, 2012.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi, Everyone i have a couple of questions about my Yugo M70 AKs.
    Well a few months back i bought two Yugo m70's both are underfolders, One of them was in new condition and came with wood foregrip/handguard, the rifle is still in the box and i decided to leave it in the safe and forget about it until a rainy day.

The 2nd Yugo i bought was in pretty decent condition but not new and i decided to use this as my main beater/plinking rifle, now this gun came with black plastic foregrip/handguards, I decided to change them out for wood handguards just because i think they look a little nicer, now here is my first question-

By replacing the plastic furniture with wood will it affect the 922r compliance of the rifle?

Also the previous owner of the rifle at some point used corrosive ammo, and these yugo's do not have chrome bores, althought the barrel, chamber and gas tube are free from rust, no matter how many times i clean the gas block within a few days a light layer of surface rust appears, any ideas on how to get rid of this rust?

thanks james

2. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

922r would apply if youre replacing the furniture with foreign built stuff. Just make sure you have the proper number of US made parts when youre done.

3. james83

Thanks for the reply. The wood furniture i added to the rifle is from a yugo m70 parts kit, so it is definatly foreign made. I know that the rifle has a U.S made nodak spud reciever and a tapco trigger group and a U.S made pistol grip (stamped U.S) although im not sure if the plastic furniture i removed was U.S made as i cannot find any markings on it

4. james83

Well after wasting a few hours reading about the 922r compliance rules, I decided to just put the black plastic furniture back on my rifle. The wood furniture looked nice but i guess i'll just stick to the evil black rifle look, 922r is to much hassle