JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a Yugo 59/66 SKS after promising myself I'd never get one due to how cheaply made they usually are. But the Yugo seems to be a cut above with its milled receiver, action parts and clear beech stock.

But I digress...

After I spent 4 hours cleaning all the cosmoline out of it, I checked the headspace. The GO gauge ad the NOGO gauge "went". So I took the bolt off the carrier and tried the bolt and NOGO gauge by itself. But there was no end play at all meaning the headspace is zero with the NOGO gauge.

Does this pass for a safe gun?

Thanks

Your right at the top end of max headspace, well a field gauge would be your next step. Off the top of my head I cannot recall what the field spec is for this one. Still if a nogo goes and closes your near the danger zone. Why risk it.....

Try looking for a new bolt! The fellow with lottsa parts at the expo show has had a few....he is the guy with all the tackle type boxes of parts. Cy is his name.

Also gunbroker.com

TAPCO makes a good bolt but then I'd need to make the whole gun 922r compliant, no?

I just reread 922r and it seems that the crux of the matter is not the introduction of an American made part into an imported "sporting" configured semi-automatic rifle, but if I remove/replace/add any part which compromises its "sporting" configuration, then it must become fully 922r compliant. But the introduction of an American made repair part should not compromise its "sporting" configuration..

Correct?

Tapco's bolt does come oversize, so this would solve your problem. It does need to be fitted, and it is a $100 which is about half what the whole rifle is worth. Fitting you could do yourself, if interested PM me for details!

I got the TAPCO bolt and it fit perfectly with perfect headspace.

Or did it?

I studied the mechanism further and thought "Oh crap..."

I could now see the TAPCO bolt was a no-go with both gauges. I had been looking at the bolt, not the carrier closing.

Back to the original bolt... I could now see GO, carrier closes completely. NOGO, carrier does not close completely.

Conclusion: Headspace was perfect to begin with. I learned something...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top