JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just made out checks for property TAX, I get to keep my house for another year....(oh happy days)

In my area the schools/esd are getting 49.17% of my tax..I wonder how much of that goes to PERS..Bet its 25% or more. still more YUCK.

And, you think you're not paying your landlords property taxes? They pass that along to you as part of your monthly rent payment. You are making the payment on the property, paying the taxes, paying for maintenance, and paying for their vacation every year!

And, you think you're not paying your landlords property taxes? They pass that along to you as part of your monthly rent payment. You are making the payment on the property, paying the taxes, paying for maintenance, and paying for their vacation every year!

O rly? Why have I been paying $640 a month for the last two years? I don't have to worry about some BS property taxes and other BS related to a possible HOA clause. Home ownership is a frickin' overhyped crock of bullcrap.

O rly? Why have I been paying $640 a month for the last two years? I don't have to worry about some BS property taxes and other BS related to a possible HOA clause. Home ownership is a frickin' overhyped crock of bullcrap.

Depressed economy. In States with a real estate market, One bedroom and Studio apartments are going at over $1200/mo. Consider yourself lucky you live in the Pacific Northwest.

I bought my 1200 sq. foot starter home in 1975 for $76,000, sold it in 2005 for $375,000. What will your apt. be worth in 30 years?

Don't read me wrong, property taxes suck, but they are there to pay for fire, police, schools, water district and waste treatment infrastructure.

I have one renter who pays $460.00 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. He has lived there for 18 years.
$99,360.00 in rent and he has no plans on moving.

I really miss my 20 acres...

But I miss my (deceased) wife more... I could probably go back up where I owned, but, for the memories...

Interesting, in a sick way... The foreclosure came, the day we had the Only Buyer. How strange that was... I could not handle either of them... There was ~only~ my wife's health to consider, 24/7

After she died.... I remembered that I had children... Their Maternal Grand Parents took care of my two children, I mean, they were ~In~ my life, but FOCUS... was on my wife.

But anybody who does not understand what OWNING property is like has not quite lived yet.

That's my Two 1950 pennies Worth, about Cents todays money system....

philip

Dunerunner, WE bought a WWII "Bungalow" in South Tacoma area, for $3,000 on a private owner caried loan, zero down, in 1974!!!!!

The kicker, was that the owner lived next door, and first renters were wonderful.... Second Renters, a bit hard on his FIRST HOME, and the third, And Last Renters, were total paper wipe material... The One who rented, was clean cut, and into this tiny two bedroom... Sixteen Bikers moved in....

My wife and I (by owners request, and suggestion) put our Sweat Equity, and $$$ into the house, to make it livable, "owner considered that Down Payment" in the Contracted Agreement.

We turned the house for the Price of our 20 acres, and the family that bought it, circa 1979 Still Live In It! We are good friends and write each other often....

Our skills in house renovation, developed further, when we added a Carport/Wood storage for the wood stove... And gave us the Dream of living & building our own, from the ground up... The logs were felled upon our Property... Peeled by my wife... Set by the Sweat of my brow...

All, before I turned 30.

I was 90 days shy of 32 when my wife died...

That ~is a lot of living~ in just Eight Years...

philip

In the BoonDocks... i Own my RV outright, my truck, OutRight... And would park them on even an acre, if I could work my way to that.... But I live, One Day, at a Time....

My biggest regret regarding real estate, was the opportunity to buy 5 creek side frontage acres off of the North Fork of Eagle Creek in the Sandy. Oregon area in 1975.
I found an empty vacation cabin off of SE Wildcat Mountain road, down below SE Brian Ranch Rd.
The owner had lost interest in it, and he let me rent it for $100.00 a month. If I worked on the property, he forgave the cash rent in return for my labors.
After a couple of years, he called me up and offered to sell me the place for $10,000.00. No down payment or interest.
I only had to pay him $200.00 cash per month until it was paid off.
The place had power, phone/cable and a septic system, but no well. I pumped water from the creek.
It was situated on the end of the road and Publishers Paper, now Far West Fiber owned everything South and West of it.
I turned him down, because I wanted to move back into Portland.
Being young (23) and ignorant, I could have rented it out and easily made the payments.
I often fantasize about how nice it would be to say to the wife, (honey, let's spend the weekend up at the cabin and get out of the city for awhile."

"Move back into Portland" How foolish we are when we're young huh?

Living in Portland......My property taxes went up just under $500.00 this year, biggest increase since 2001! They claim our market value is about $215,000.00. We live in an iffy part of town, with an iffy apartment complex across the street, (it used to be well maintained until a professional property owner bought it and turned it over to an iffy property management company).
At least when you need a cop they're not usually far away.

Mikej, my father was the most Fastidious Man, about finances you could ever meet... Part of his German heritage, I believe... He was the Credit Manager, for a company, wherein, Every Bank manager knew him, by Name & Sight, that is just ~background info~ So...

Can you imagine, when he choose to do a "second mortgage", that he was informed, that he "lived on the wrong side of the tracks", literally and figuratively??? A well Respected Street, even they Mayor lived uponit ~once~ But a set of RR Tracks crossed it, and every house ~Past~ those tracks were considered "Lower Economy" area... Not when we bought it though!!!! (icons removed) my dad said (icon removed) if you follow me... Did the job the German Way... After he retired, At Least twice a month, a Real Estate buyer would stop by, and make an offer, it was Ten Times what the final Cost was, not the "price" but after interest!!! Dad made double Payments more than half the time.... Lowered the time of the Loan, and paying off the interest in the mean while... All... " On the Other Side of the Tracks "

philip
Just 2 1950 cents worth, but in todays money, a well spent
Nickle....

PS: iPad Mini emoticons removed, they don't work here...

Portland was where the girls were. After my girlfriend moved out (she worked downtown Portland and got tired of the drive.) It got pretty lonely.
You have to imagine how remote this cabin was. You needed a 4 wheeler to get in and out of the 1/4 mile driveway.
I parked near the access road and hoofed it down the old creek bed to the cabin.
Summers were great, winters felt like you were living in the arctic circle.

The benefits of owning a home are personal and financially debatable. In my case I made out all right due to timing and dumb luck. Don't think property taxes won't trickle down eventually though. Unless you're getting govt. assistance, higher taxes to cover PERS will bite you down the road. What irritates me is those who vote higher and higher taxes that think they have no skin in the game. Except for the subsidized, we ALL have skin in the game and need to question these higher taxes. BTW, If my taxes keep increasing I might join the Dems and go for the sales tax they say they need, for the kids of course. It's always for the kids with these guys isn't it?
SERIOUSLY let's vote these people out!

The benefits of owning a home are personal and financially debatable. In my case I made out all right due to timing and dumb luck. Don't think property taxes won't trickle down eventually though. Unless you're getting govt. assistance, higher taxes to cover PERS will bite you down the road. What irritates me is those who vote higher and higher taxes that think they have no skin in the game. Except for the subsidized, we ALL have skin in the game and need to question these higher taxes. BTW, If my taxes keep increasing I might join the Dems and go for the sales tax they say they need, for the kids of course. It's always for the kids with these guys isn't it?

Hell yeah, man, do it for the children!

Cuthbert Allgood, hey, just for Fun, look up your Property taxes, by address. Then divide that by 12, subtract That from your Rent, and pay ~only~ That, otherwise...

..... You Are Paying Taxes... I mean, "its For The Children...."

Really. If you think you do not pay Property Tax, I have a bridge in Florence for sale... Cheap, and it has a ~house~ on it ;)

philip

They raise up the property taxes to cause pain so then they tell you lets do a sales tax it will releave property taxes. I got a bridge in the desert I will sell you. Thats the oldest of the old for the tax and spend liberals.

Cuthbert Allgood, hey, just for Fun, look up your Property taxes, by address. Then divide that by 12, subtract That from your Rent, and pay ~only~ That, otherwise...

..... You Are Paying Taxes... I mean, "its For The Children...."

Really. If you think you do not pay Property Tax, I have a bridge in Florence for sale... Cheap, and it has a ~house~ on it ;)

philip

Is that your trailer I see on a weekly basis just north of Eugene, along the southbound side of I-5?

I don't stay at one address for more than 2 years. I need to get up and go when the time comes. Renting makes it that much more convenient for me. No matter what, I am saving money by not having to deal with all of that BS of home ownership.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top