JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been eyeballing some shepherd's axes/walking sticks.
Ancient design and usage, often with a spike on the off-side (perhaps for ice?) and a steel spike/cap on the butt.
kinda neat

Klimek3.jpg

I kind of like the idea of having something I could take small game with and not have to carry separately. I already use/carry a walking stick, so carrying a bow of any kind would be separate, and you can't really use a regular bow for a walking stick.

It's certainly not a bad idea.

I cant think of any use for this, a concealed bow and arrow.... why? Too slow to deploy, too weak by design. From a survival point of view I'd rather learn how to make an improvised bow and arrow.

I think the idea is to have it always with you just in case. Once you got into a survival situation where you would need it, then you would deploy it and keep it handy for hunting for small game.

Not sure how learning to make an improvised bow and arrow is an improvement over one already made.

It is a good skill to know (my grandfather made a very nice bow from a yew tree, complete with buffalo horn nocks), but something you would want to know before you needed the bow.

It's kind of a cool idea, but at close to $200, more than I would want to spend for such a specialty item. I'd probably get one if they were about 1/2 that price. Some may see them worth what they're currently selling for.

I think the idea is to have it always with you just in case. Once you got into a survival situation where you would need it, then you would deploy it and keep it handy for hunting for small game.

Not sure how learning to make an improvised bow and arrow is an improvement over one already made.

It is a good skill to know (my grandfather made a very nice bow from a yew tree, complete with buffalo horn nocks), but something you would want to know before you needed the bow.

My thought was because if I had a choice I would have a gun. When I think of survival, Im thinking of situations where you dont or no longer have all the things you need

Thinking about it, this could be useful every day for people who live in places that prohibit gun ownership or carry.

$200 is too steep, but I do like that the dual rods eliminates the archer's paradox. However, a takedown bow can fit in a small daypack, and I just saw one for sale with 50 arrows for $150.

My thought was because if I had a choice I would have a gun. When I think of survival, Im thinking of situations where you dont or no longer have all the things you need

Thinking about it, this could be useful every day for people who live in places that prohibit gun ownership or carry.

Even if I had a gun, in some SHTF situations, I would want a bow - quiet and arrows are often retrievable. Also, may be useful for fishing in some cases.

I just walked around my house and there were several different sets of deer tracks in the snow, within ten feet of the house. I often see rabbits too.

Even if I had a gun, in some SHTF situations, I would want a bow - quiet and arrows are often retrievable. Also, may be useful for fishing in some cases.

I just walked around my house and there were several different sets of deer tracks in the snow, within ten feet of the house. I often see rabbits too.

Lets be clear on this.

How long have you been seeing rabbits? :s0079::D

Last Edited:
I built fiberglass re-curve bows in high school wood shop class and I remember taking one out to the golf course I lived next to and shooting an arrow into one of the bunnies that someone had let loose after Easter.
I can still remember the high pitched screaming that little bugger made after my lousy shot.
A .22 head shot is way better for all concerned.

Watched the video. Remove a nut/bolt/cap on the staff. Lay it on the ground and later
use it as the handle/arrow rest on the bow.

In my world, it I didn't drop the nut, as soon as I laid that piece on the ground
and looked away it would be sucked through a mini black hole into a parallel
universe, never to be seen again.

I like bows ... I like walking sticks.
But in my experience many combo tools are not enough of one and too little of another.

Get a bow and practice ... Or if you want to go light and packable , maybe slingshot ala Dennis the Menace .
Andy

I like bows ... I like walking sticks.
But in my experience many combo tools are not enough of one and too little of another.

Get a bow and practice ... Or if you want to go light and packable , maybe slingshot ala Dennis the Menace .
Andy
How about a Slingbow? I don't know how well they work or how accurate they are, but they look interesting. And you can get take-down arrows for it too. I like this one because it has a flip-up rest:
ps%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M94fd8c1dcba9b2f88241a7ec8a6af2a9o0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1.jpg

How about a Slingbow? I don't know how well they work or how accurate they are, but they look interesting. And you can get take-down arrows for it too. I like this one because it has a flip-up rest:
View attachment 336540

I've built and own quite a few slingshots and have owned 2 slingbows - other than for fishing, the slingbows aren't much use - they just can't put enough power behind the arrow/bolt to be very effective. If I were going to shoot arrows, I would much prefer an actual bow - you can get the power behind it you need to be effective. For that matter, a good strong slingshot, banded well with 3/8" to 1/2" steel or lead shot will take down small game such as squirrels, rabbits and birds, and could, in a pinch, be used for self defense. When I was practicing regularly, I could get some pretty decent groupings at about 7-10 yards.

I've built and own quite a few slingshots and have owned 2 slingbows - other than for fishing, the slingbows aren't much use - they just can't put enough power behind the arrow/bolt to be very effective. If I were going to shoot arrows, I would much prefer an actual bow - you can get the power behind it you need to be effective. For that matter, a good strong slingshot, banded well with 3/8" to 1/2" steel or lead shot will take down small game such as squirrels, rabbits and birds, and could, in a pinch, be used for self defense. When I was practicing regularly, I could get some pretty decent groupings at about 7-10 yards.
Thank, that's good to know. What is a good group with a slingshot? I hadn't thought of it before, but could fishing with a slingshot be very effective? I'm not sure at what angle the water deflects the shot.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top