JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What opportunities is there for youth in the Portland and surrounding areas for rifle marksmanship training?

I had a coworker ask about marksmanship rifle training for his child. While there is many shooting sports open to junior competitors, there isn't much info on basic training to get juniors started. Thought I might start a thread to for us to list what there currently is available.

Tri County Gun Club.
It's a popular series and getting a spot may take some patience. I've had the honor to help out as a fill-in coach on a few occasions. The youth director (Billy Obrien is also a range safety officer at the club. You'd be hard pressed to find a youth training group that does it better than Billy and his crew! Contact info is at the bottom of the page in the link provided above.

Last Edited:
Appleseed.

See if there is a club near to you that has a program.
Or just go to the event. After attending, I would venture to guess that there will be pleanty of resources/people, to get more involved with.

Aloha, Mark

PS......some respources.....

Last Edited:
Attend a Highpower Rifle 'Clinic'. Each new shooter has a coach. Look at the schedule for Clinics
in February. Common to see 15 year old 'Juniors'. Juniors have first choice for loaner
rifles. Some clubs furnish ammo for Juniors. Juniors also pay a reduced price to shoot.
Highpower is very much geared towards promoting Juniors. I have been at a
couple matches lately where the 'Match Winner' is a 15 year old girl!

Portland Rifle and Pistol club used to have a juniors program. Their website shows they still do. First and third Tuesday from 1900-2100 hours.
Thank you Eustace for the shout out.

The program is a joint venture between Portland Rifle and Pistol and Estacada Rod and Gun Club. The clubs subsidize the program so there is a very minimal annual cost and we provide all equipment and ammunition. We meet at the PRPC indoor range on the first and third Tuesday of each month from 7-9 pm. The program is open to all juniors between the ages of 10-20.

We teach basic safety and each of the 4 basic rifle shooting positions. The way we teach is each shooter learns a position and then practices that position until proficient before moving to the next position. Each junior moves at their own pace with instruction and coaching along the way. I manage the firearms side of the program and my goal is that every shooter is safe, has fun, and learns to shoot accurately.

If a shooter has the desire, we also help them engage in small bore and/or high power competition. The clubs also help subsidize those activities as well.

Please PM me if you want to know more about our program. I have already sent the OP a PM.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top