JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Awesome!

Being part of something (anything) bigger than "thy self" is usually a defining experience in a young person's life; if they are to be a productive (valuable) member of society, or not.

These young people are well on their way.

Blue is worn to show affiliation to the full-time regular Army regiment of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, and the wide-red is the non-attributable Royal Stuart tartan. Those wearing the blue might be hoping to join the regular army when they are old enough, and in particular, the RRoS. Bear in mind that you don't have to be Scottish to join a Scottish regiment - these kids are from all over the UK.

The Army Cadet Forces of UK are a school-based organisation for youngsters from the age of fourteen up to just before their 17.5th birthday. I bleeve that I've posted a few YT movies of their activities syne. Many of their members actually DO go on to join the regular army at 17.6 y/o.

An old friend of mine had been a member of the ACF from the age of fifteen, and when he finally upped and left, post his commissioned service, at age 55, he had been wearing a uniform for forty years.

It can only do good, don't ya think?

tac

I didn't join the Army until I was 21.5, but served for thirty-three years all but ten days. It certainly wasn't all fun, but OTOH, it didn't kill me, either.

I never kept in touch with any of my school associates, nor any childhood friends - I just moved around too much. My oldest friend here in the UK is a retired USAF guy whom I met back in 1974 when he was at a local base, and so was I. Back then we shared a love of trains that we still have today. I never kept in touch with any of my military contacts either, except for one who lives not too far away from us. We don't meet up or do stuff, but we DO send each other Christmas cards.

tac

Last Edited:
Pretty much the same, haven't seen/talked with old school chums or "battle-buddies" in a very, very long time. No clue (or motivation) where to look for them... already got the T-shirt, don't need to relive it all, again.

Them trains, though! :s0155:

Awesome video, thanks Tac!
Well, in portland we have drum circles... pbbfffttt!!
I spent most of my teen years in Civil Air Patrol. Then i went into the delayed enlistment program at 17. Was in it for one full year. Went into basic as an E-2 which my drill sargents did not like one bit. Lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top