JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking for a Youth model single shot or bolt action 22 for my 7 year old daughter. Ive looked at the crickets but know nothing about them. They are very affordable but is it due to being made with cheap parts? I looked at a savage but it has nearly the same length of a stock as my Ruger 10/22 and it is to big for her.
I have thought of buying a none Youth model and having someone chop the stock and barrel to help her fit the rifle better but it seems like alot of money for a beginner rifle.

Also this rifle will be passed down to my other children as they grow and take an interest in shooting.

Im looking for a Youth model single shot or bolt action 22 for my 7 year old daughter. Ive looked at the crickets but know nothing about them. They are very affordable but is it due to being made with cheap parts? I looked at a savage but it has nearly the same length of a stock as my Ruger 10/22 and it is to big for her.
I have thought of buying a none Youth model and having someone chop the stock and barrel to help her fit the rifle better but it seems like alot of money for a beginner rifle.

Also this rifle will be passed down to my other children as they grow and take an interest in shooting.

I purchased a Cricket 7 or 8 years ago for my sons to share, For what your paying for its a great little gun! The only problem I have had with it is extraction of the spent case. I recall if it was ammo related, as the kids shoot whatever is available (usually the bulk pack junk...) The boys never shot this rifle at great distances, but at 50 yards or so I was able to hold a 2-3" group with iron sites. You won't win any bench rest competition with it, but you and your daughter can have lots of safe fun with it. The model we had and a button under the bolt that you could lock the bolt open or closed with...also with the manual cocking of the firing pin after the bolt is close makes it a very deliberate process in order to fire the rifle.

Charles

I found a youth model Rossi at BiMart that looks promising. It is a break action combo with a .22LR and a 410 shotgun barrel for $139. It seems fairly well built but I can't find anyone who has spent much time with one. There is another package with 22/20ga./.243 for more money but I can't see the need for that one. I would love to hear opinions of that Rossi if anyone has used one.

The Winchester Wildcat 22 that was on sale last fall at Joes is light weight and the stock is youth sized. I bought one for the grandaughter to use when she starts on rimfire. The rifle comes with 3 mags, is bolt action with open sights. It retails right at $140. Look at it on line.

Its not what you described and it costs more but a gsg 5 carbine would be very easy to handle, its short, light, and shoots well. Plus it has the cool factor that everyone loves

I've seen the Crickets, too, and I've felt they're overpriced for what they are. Do not seem to be high quality..... "its for a kid, why bother" seemed to be the tag line.

I'd highly recommend getting the Ruger 10/22, not the long standard barrel model, but the "carbine" model, the barrel is a LOT shorter. Wood or synthetic stock. Maybe even the stainless barrel, if you're planning on making it an heirloom. Which it will easily warrant. I've had a blued carbine since 1980, it has suffered from lack of proper storage for years (bits of rust here and there....) but it will still take out a pest dog after livestock at 150 yards or more with a .22 LRHP. Fifty yards its still almost a nail driver.

One other consideration, but that might be a bit much for a seven year old, would be Ruger's Mini 14, which fires the .223 CF cartridge. They also make a short version, the "ranch rifle", basically an autoloading saddle gun. Lightweight, accurate... but quite a bit more power than the .22RF. A serious consideration. You should be able to find that Ruger 10/22 new for right near two hundred.... in the carbine version. Prices seem to be up a lot since last spring when I found the long rifle version in stainless, wood stock (NOT laminate, real wood....) for $180..... I didn't have to think about THAT one for more than a quick New York Nanosecond.

Since it will be run through the line up of offpsring, spending a bit now will assure a safe, reliable, and very accurate rifle that perhaps one of those younguns will be passing it on to THEIR kids. They are that good.

Another option, I've seen any number of older, name brand .22 LR bolt action clip or tube feed guns, older and perhaps not pretty, for the hundred dollar mark. Keep that stock intact, find another that can be cut, and have both. My nephew found one at a gunshow, nice Remington clip feed, excellent bore, for his nine year old son. He plans to MAKE a stock out of some nice maple grown on their place... but he's a cabinet maker and can. Mostly off work these days, so he's got the time as well. I think he paid a buck and a quarter for that one..... nice gun.

I bought an old chipmunk rifle from a guy. It does have a smooth bore though. Its perfect for kids, my sons only 19 months old so he wont be shooting it anytime soon, or his AR, or his 375 H&H or his...... lol

The 10/22 and any veriation of it is out. I wan my children to learn on a bolt action, sorry if I forgot to mention that.

I stopped in Bimart today and they have a Savage Cub T for 169. This seems like it may fit her well. I like my savage so that is a bonus. Plus the price is nearly unbeatable. The sights leave alot to be desired though. and she will learn open sites first.

I am also looking into:
Henry mini bolt 22.....Nice looking rifle....250 MSRP
Remington Model5......again nice.....237MSRP
CZ Scout....what can you not like about CZ.....other than their price is a touch higher......314 MSRP.

All of these are very comparable to eachother......Overall length, LOP and barrel length.

I stopped in Bimart today and they have a Savage Cub T for 169. This seems like it may fit her well. I like my savage so that is a bonus. Plus the price is nearly unbeatable. The sights leave alot to be desired though. and she will learn open sites first.

I was just going to suggest the savage. if it wasnt a single shot one would have come home with me long ago. one still might, i just love the stock and accu-trigger. but sense you want it as a first gun for her i dont think a single shot is a bad idea. :s0155:

Since you are looking for a bolt rifle, you may want to look at the Marlin 15YF. My son got his when he was seven. The gun was a bit big for him at the time, but loved it just the same. It's also very accurate.

I know you said that you looked at a savage and did not like the length. I bought my boys a Savage Cub at Bi-Mart. I think it was $169 or so. I doubt that this was the same rifle that you looked at. I think that it would be worth your time to take a trip to Bi-Mart.

My kids love it.

I bought my girls a henry mini bolt, seemed much better quality than the cricket, way better sights, stainless barrel, still has the manual cock feature, also has a safety and fiber optic sights my girls can hold 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards. they are ready to move on to a semi, if you are interested I would let it go for 150.00.
Kyle