JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back when I was a machinist I got a Marlin.22 bolt action repeater, cut and crowned the barrel to 16.25" and the buttstock to fit my six year old son. It turned out so well that I made 7or8 more for the guys in the shop. Very popular!
As he out grew it I epoxied the stock back together with a couple of dowel studs for strength. It always shot nice groups, and he shot a bunch of grey diggers out to 80-100yds.
When we first started he loaded it single shot and learned on the irons, later I installed a Bushnell scope on it. Sold it for what I paid for it, so free rent for six years! :)

.22lr is a great platform for introducing new shooters to firearms.
I like bolt actions for teaching the fundamentals.
I somewhat replicate the principle using a semi-auto by only loading one round into a detachable magazine at a time.
It requires a mag change after each shot, but that's fine with me as it helps the new shooter become accustomed to the controls of the rifle.
I've done this with good success using a Ruger 10/22, and a S&W M&P 15-22. My preference is now the 15-22, mainly due to the adjustable stock.
I was going to purchase a youth 10/22 stock, or a basic wood stock, cut it down and install on another 10/22, but then decided to get a 15-22 instead. Figured the 15-22 was a more versatile choice as it would be fun for both the kids and me instead of having a second 10/22 with a short stock dedicated as a kids gun.
The adjustable stock is great for younger/smaller framed shooters and makes a big difference imho.

I bought my oldest son a CZ 455 Scout when he turned 8. I was very pleased with the quality of materials, fit & finish, and accuracy. After he showed mastery of gun safety and his ability to work the bolt he was able to transition from the single shot magazine that shipped with the rifle to 10-rd magazines. He (and his younger brothers) love shooting steel with that little rifle. It was easily worth the price and now I want to take advantage of the threaded barrel and pick up a suppressor... you know, for the kids ;)

czg2135_1.jpg pri

One of the neatest rifles to teach a youngster with is the rather rare Winchester model 55 semi auto single shot .22.

WHY you say. To fire the model 55 you first pull back on the bolt or for you AR guys the charging handle it is forward of the loading port in line with the receiver. You then load it with a single round via a loading ramp similar to the loading port on a Winchester model 94 but its located on the top of the receiver. As you do this the Thumb safety located on the top and rear of the receiver is automatically engaged. You can not load the rifle without engaging the safety. You then click the safety off with your thumb and pull the trigger. The round ejects straight down from a port in the stock just ahead of the trigger guard (you do need to make sure you don't hold the rifle here! But that will only happen once if the hot brass lands in your palm. The rifle fires from an open bolt. And as the round goes out the barrel the rifle is recocked for the next round.

The child never has to operate the action of the rifle. This makes it so much easier to make sure the rifle stays pointing down range. The child can not have a loaded chamber without first the safety being engaged.

My dad taught us boys how to shoot with his and I finally tracked one down to add to my Winchester collection and plan on using it this summer with my grand daughters.

winchester%20model%2055.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I've kinda been in the market for a youth bolt 22 for my boys. The oldest will be 6 in April. I'm not in a hurry as he will be getting a B.B. gun for his next birthday but am doing a little research now. I don't want a cricket, it just feels cheap and flimsy to me. I do like the savage mini bolt though and the CZ mentioned above. I have 3 that will be using it to learn on at some point so it will get used plenty.

The first rifle i ever shot was an old tube fed marlin 22, my dad and his buddy took me up larch mountain to what was the "shooting gallery" and i put the fear into every beer/mountain dew can i came across that day.

Also, more for their amusement, i got to fire a break action single shot 12 gauge. I think i may have been 5.

When we first started he loaded it single shot and learned on the irons, later I installed a Bushnell scope on it. Sold it for what I paid for it, so free rent for six years! :)

That's one of the neat things about buying decent kids gear and taking decent care of it. Kids out grow the stuff and there's another kid just starting out and their toys sell fast. Dirt bikes, ATVs and firearms aren't easy to find used.

The first rifle i ever shot was an old tube fed marlin 22, I think i may have been 5.

Me, too, but it was Squaw Mtn. I still have the rifle. And as a kid I wanted Dad to chop the stock. Glad he didn't, but even more pleased that we have good options for young shooters these days.

I started my grandson on my Red Rider that I cut about 2 1/2" off of the butt so he could hold the gun properly and line up the sights. Remember how hard those things are to cock when you're little?
Then we went to a Henry 22 lever action with a low power scope on it. He's big for his age and the length of the Henry is right, but the weight is still a bit much. I was planning on buying a small, single shot bolt action, but the Henry fit so well I just bypassed that idea. In hindsight I realize it would have been easier for him to shoot, especially offhand.

I bought my oldest son a CZ 455 Scout when he turned 8. I was very pleased with the quality of materials, fit & finish, and accuracy. After he showed mastery of gun safety and his ability to work the bolt he was able to transition from the single shot magazine that shipped with the rifle to 10-rd magazines. He (and his younger brothers) love shooting steel with that little rifle. It was easily worth the price and now I want to take advantage of the threaded barrel and pick up a suppressor... you know, for the kids ;)

View attachment 415705 pri
Always for the kids!! I got a can in NFA jail for the kids. Their ears are delicate.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top